went to look at a G8 today

Sixt9coug

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They had a show in Ft. Lauderdale? Broward Convention Center?

Yes, at the Broward Convention Center by Port Everglades. They've had one for years now. It's not very big by any means. Most of the high end brands aren't there: BMW, Land Rover, Rolls, Bentley, Lambo, Ferrari, etc. weren't there....Mercedes was....

Obviously the mainstream companies were there, but it's very small, so there's not too much there, but it's still nice to go.

Ford had the Flex there on a stand, the new F-150 was there, MKS was there. Chrysler brought out the now several year old Firepower concept (which still looks good, IMO) for the show. GM had the "Bumble Bee" type Camaro concept there. The Chevy Traverse was there as well. Got to sit in the new XF as well, which was nice. I finally got to see the Tundra's dampered tailgate, which I thought was a nice feature, until I remembered the thing can't hold anything.

Sat nav is factory option on SS Commodore in Australia - may be available as dealer fit?

Perhaps later versions will have it.

The Vauxhall VXR8 in the UK offers it too. I raised this question on C&G, and a possible explanation I got as to why the G8 has no nav available is that it's possible that the system was incompatible with US maps.

That said, I do believe they will/may/should offer it later. Makes no sense not to since it was an option on the Grand Prix.

The Vauxhall VXR8 in the UK offers it too. I raised this question on C&G, and a possible explanation I got as to why the G8 has no nav available is that it's possible that the system was incompatible with US maps.

That said, I do believe they will/may/should offer it later. Makes no sense not to since it was an option on the Grand Prix.

GM uses that excuse for a lot of their vehicles. Alot of their mainstream offerings don't come with NAV as options.

As far as after market units, well that's fine and all but I prefer units integrated with the radio. They tend to be a bit more user friendly (IMO) and I like the clean look. Toyota has a great example of how to offer up an after market unit and still integrate it with the rest of the center console. The example I came across was for the 4 Runner http://www.toyota.com/4runner/special-edition.html

GM uses that excuse for a lot of their vehicles. Alot of their mainstream offerings don't come with NAV as options.

As far as after market units, well that's fine and all but I prefer units integrated with the radio. They tend to be a bit more user friendly (IMO) and I like the clean look. Toyota has a great example of how to offer up an after market unit and still integrate it with the rest of the center console. The example I came across was for the 4 Runner http://www.toyota.com/4runner/special-edition.html

The OEM's could only dream of having a GPS unit as user friendly as my Garmin. Except Ford of course. They build the best, most accurate, easiest to use, most powerful GPS systems ever. Even NASA and the US Government are jealous.

The OEM's could only dream of having a GPS unit as user friendly as my Garmin. Except Ford of course. They build the best, most accurate, easiest to use, most powerful GPS systems ever. Even NASA and the US Government are jealous.

Like reality TV and Britney Spears news, this schtick is getting rather old, P...

On the real, though, I do need to go see how a Ford nav system works. Only OEM unit I've used in a car was in (I'm ashamed to admit it) a Camry.

We know GM really wants to keep earning money on that OnStar Turn-By-Turn, that's why they do it. :P It's funny, though... they offer in-dash nav in almost every truck/SUV (except the Colorado/Canyon).

Well I did what I said I wasn't going to do, drive one.....

The V-8 in that car is everything its cracked up to be. I can only imagine what it's like when it loosens up and is fully broken in. The sound is there, the performance is there and is every bit worth the cost of entry. The traditional old American V-8 is there and accounted for, from the way it sounds at WOT to the way it idles. The G8 doesn't disappoint from that standpoint.

The handling is spot on for such a large vehicle: the steering is nicely weighted, the brakes work fairly well the car communicates in a form that I am unused to from larger GM RWD vehicles as of late.

The shortcomings of course are demonstrated very clear and present from the interior. The leather isn't so bad, but the plastic trim feels somewhat cheap. On the center console the plastic trim had some very noticeable plastic flashing/finishing issues. The rear center console has an armrest without cup holders, but if you fold down the trunk pass through there are two there. I could careless about cup holders for rear passengers but that design is ridiculous especially if you have a trunk full of crap. The gauges and radio are great: clear, somewhat sophisticated and well laid out, Ford should take note.

Overall I'd give the car a 7/10. I'd still keep it on my shopping list, but I would like to see a few enhancements even then I'd still drive/own one. It's not worse than the 1 Series I drove the other day. Talk about not worth the price tag...

Edited by Michael Reynolds

Well I did what I said I wasn't going to do, drive one.....

Overall I'd give the car a 7/10. I'd still keep it on my shopping list, but I would like to see a few enhancements even then I'd still drive/own one. It's not worse than the 1 Series I drove the other day. Talk about not worth the price tag...

Rest assured the New FG Falcon is all that and more.

Good things coming your way in several years........

F6 Typhoon vs HSV R8 (Pontiac GXP)

Pretty fast too . . . (though I don't know if it is 100% stock or if this run is with a tune.)

http://www.fquick.com/videos/Pontiac_G8_Track_Run/5298

We've seen enough VE SS Commodores down here to tell you 13.7 is about standard.

Definitely a tune with a 13.2 quarter mile.

Heres an unopened VE Commodore running 11s:

Look at the leave on this Commodore with cam only change:

Edited by jpd80

Rest assured the New FG Falcon is all that and more.

Good things coming your way in several years........

F6 Typhoon vs HSV R8 (Pontiac GXP)

We've seen enough VE SS Commodores down here to tell you 13.7 is about standard.

Definitely a tune with a 13.2 quarter mile.

Heres an unopened VE Commodore running 11s:

Look at the leave on this Commodore with cam only change:

what PSI does the F6 run stock?

and is there a good aftermarket for ecu upgrades to upgrade power?

also in the first video(with the HSV and F6) whoever's exhaust that was, it was amazing....

Edited by Ford-150

what PSI does the F6 run stock?

and is there a good aftermarket for ecu upgrades to upgrade power?

also in the first video(with the HSV and F6) whoever's exhaust that was, it was amazing....

OK,

Car with camera:

F6 is a turbochaged inline 6 from FPV (Ford Performance Vehicle) wholly owned by Ford,

The vehicle is 270Kw Std (360 hp) and runs 10 psi - that one is 3 psi more or about 13 - 14 psi

Probably a bit over 420 Hp at the crank.

Car to the left is the V8:

The V8 is a HSV Clubsport (Vauxhall VXR8) - basically the next 6.0 up the rung from the

Pontiac G8. The guy says it has a high torque cam, exhaust and a MAF less tune - about 450 hp.

Heaps of performance parts available for for both cars,

Pontiac G8 GT being a VE Commodore clone has laid on parts ready to go all over the shop.

G8 GT will shock some Mustang owners - they're bloody quick and they handle.

Edited by jpd80

OK,

Car with camera:

F6 is a turbochaged inline 6 from FPV (Ford Performance Vehicle) wholly owned by Ford,

The vehicle is 270Kw Std (360 hp) and runs 10 psi - that one is 3 psi more or about 13 - 14 psi

Probably a bit over 420 Hp at the crank.

Car to the left is the V8:

The V8 is a HSV Clubsport (Vauxhall VXR8) - basically the next 6.0 up the rung from the

Pontiac G8. The guy says it has a high torque cam, exhaust and a MAF less tune - about 450 hp.

Heaps of performance parts available for for both cars,

Pontiac G8 GT being a VE Commodore clone has laid on parts ready to go all over the shop.

sweet

found this vid on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NngYkQdEwzM

at first i was all about going straight for the V8 Falcons but the turbo I6 sounds like a Fing beast!!!

i would love to hear that everyday!

sweet

found this vid on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NngYkQdEwzM

at first i was all about going straight for the V8 Falcons but the turbo I6 sounds like a Fing beast!!!

i would love to hear that everyday!

Ecoboost is the next step after the Inline departs in 2010.

I guess by then you guys will be telling us all about boost levels and turbo tunes.