FIESTA RS

Edstock

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpr...ord_fiesta.html

car_photo_252081_7.jpg

"It’s likely to use a slightly uprated version of the ST’s potential 1.6-litre turbocharged engine – inspired by the hi-tech range of small cap-acity direct-injection EcoBoost turbo units revealed by Ford at the Detroit Motor Show earlier this year. With that on board, the RS would develop about 200bhp and sprint from 0-60mph in only six seconds, on its way to a 140mph top speed. With its light weight, CO2 emissions and economy should be kept down.

It’s unlikely, however, that the Fiesta will follow the forthcoming Focus RS’s lead by having a clever front differential. But it could use Ford’s six-speed twin-clutch semi-auto gearbox with steering wheel-mounted paddleshifters, giving the RS the feel of a Junior World Rally Car. Add wider tracks, stiffened springs, uprated dampers and thicker anti-roll bars plus fat, sticky tyres, and the RS promises to handle brilliantly.

While the new Fiesta will reach dealerships in October and the ST is due in 2009, the RS isn’t likely to arrive until 2010, with a potential price tag of around £17,000."

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can already hear RJ explaining that the RS is too kinetic (doesn't match the American Focus and Fusion), head units are different, exchange rates, doesn't match the American tastes in fast b-cars, and lack of production capacity mean we shouldn't be allowed to buy this.

I can already hear RJ explaining that the RS is too kinetic (doesn't match the American Focus and Fusion), head units are different, exchange rates, doesn't match the American tastes in fast b-cars, and lack of production capacity mean we shouldn't be allowed to buy this.

they could market that car in the 25k range,,,,hell a Cooper S right now with options can knock on 28 and above.....

Dear Ford Management -

I don't ask much. I have been a loyal customer for the most part these years, even through the pain of restructuring and under the weight of Ford's "stigma" - rightfully or wrongfully applied.

And I plan to continue patronizing your showrooms long into the future... but if you don't bring the afforementioned EcoBoost/dual clutch combo to the U.S. within a year of the Fiesta's launch here, I swear I will never buy a Ford again.

Sincerely,

Focus05

Well, I would agree with the part that there is little to no market for a car like this in the US. I would say comparisons to the Mini aren't really valid either, as the Mini is perceived as a "premium" small car, whereas the Fiesta never will be, even with a cool "go-fast" version.

Well, I would agree with the part that there is little to no market for a car like this in the US. I would say comparisons to the Mini aren't really valid either, as the Mini is perceived as a "premium" small car, whereas the Fiesta never will be, even with a cool "go-fast" version.

oh contrare.....Ford is INCREASING content, materials and luxo items across the board as per previous threads.....apparently OUR version will be directly comparable to the "upmarket " Euro version

Its a few years later to the party. It would have been killer at the dawn of the Fast and Furious craze.

Who hell is going to pay that much for a small car from Ford? They couldn't sell SVT Foci for that much when they did make them...:rolleyes:

SVT focii SUCKED! thats why they didn't sell...idf we had had the Euro Cosworth or AWD RS it would have bbeen a different story....

oh contrare.....Ford is INCREASING content, materials and luxo items across the board as per previous threads.....apparently OUR version will be directly comparable to the "upmarket " Euro version

Upmarket compared to what though? It'll still be downmarket compared to things like the Mini Cooper. It may be a good value compared to the Aveo, Fit, and Yaris though, which is fine by me. I just don't see a market for a performance Ford B-car here. It would be neat to see, but I just don't think it'd work.

Upmarket compared to what though? It'll still be downmarket compared to things like the Mini Cooper. It may be a good value compared to the Aveo, Fit, and Yaris though, which is fine by me. I just don't see a market for a performance Ford B-car here. It would be neat to see, but I just don't think it'd work.

why would it be downmarket....if Ford brings it here with 200hp similar quality materials and undercuts the similar Cooper by 4k....witness the re-birth of SVT...BIG TIME! Sign me up.

why would it be downmarket....if Ford brings it here with 200hp similar quality materials and undercuts the similar Cooper by 4k....witness the re-birth of SVT...BIG TIME! Sign me up.

It would still be looked at as downmarket because it would be sitting in showrooms next to the uber-cheap $12,000 stripper version.

It would still be looked at as downmarket because it would be sitting in showrooms next to the uber-cheap $12,000 stripper version.

Nick...a base Mini isn't much more.......they used to be in the mid 16k region...now mid 18's...s starts at 22,3.............hell, I just optioned out an S coupe....was over $33k.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....and you don't think a 200 hp Awd Fiesta at 25k can compete?

Edited by Deanh

Mid 18's...which is close to starting price now on the FUSION, not the FIESTA, a car slotted 2 full segments lower in Ford's lineup.

like I said....similar materials, better performance....comparable stlistic appeal.....and save 4-7k.....home run in my eyes.....still in shock about specing out an S COUPE at $33 plus!!!!!!

Mid 18's...which is close to starting price now on the FUSION, not the FIESTA, a car slotted 2 full segments lower in Ford's lineup.

now a fiesta RS that can outperform a Cooper RS...bodes well for a Focus RS don't you think...bar in small vehicles is about to get raised....

like I said....similar materials, better performance....comparable stlistic appeal.....and save 4-7k.....home run in my eyes.....still in shock about specing out an S COUPE at $33 plus!!!!!!

Well I agree that it will definitely do well in its segment, but I think that will be more a result of perceived value as opposed to it being perceived as any sort of "upscale" vehicle, which is what I think drives Mini sales to a large extent. Because it will be a value-driven proposition more than an image-driven proposition, I feel that the ceiling on its pricing will be limited moreso than the Mini.