Escape vs CRV March Sales

range

In the Honda system, I do believe, the gas engine runs at all times, if not to power the drive wheels, then to charge the batteries. I don't think they use regenerative braking like the Ford and Toyota setups either.

The IMA system does make use of regenerative braking and the gas engine does have an idle-stop feature. It cannot, however, propel the car in fully-electric mode.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is a problem with the socket, they sure are covered. If it's the bulb, no they aren't. But what does that have to do with anything?

I bet if I told my VW dealer that I have faulty socket, causing my headlight to burnout every 2 years (ave. each), they would just laugh at me.

If it's not covered under warrenty, then the VW engineers don't care. The problem won't get fixed. If it cost them $100 in warrenty cost over the life of the vehicle because the a 50 cent socket is causing headlights to burn out, then it will get fixed.

I bet if I told my VW dealer that I have faulty socket, causing my headlight to burnout every 2 years (ave. each), they would just laugh at me.

Ooooooooooooooor they might actually test the socket to make sure it is working properly.

If it's not covered under warrenty, then the VW engineers don't care. The problem won't get fixed.

Yeah, since automakers never want to improve the quality of their vehicles, unless they know of a problem under warranty. Otherwise, they just ignore it. Of course, this joke of a scenario almost makes sense in VW's case. :lol:

If it cost them $100 in warrenty cost over the life of the vehicle because the a 50 cent socket is causing headlights to burn out, then it will get fixed.

Or they don't know how to fix it. It took them years to figure out how to get those window regulators working properly.

The one-engined CR-V is still the sales leader. Quite a boneheaded decision they made there.

Maybe your theory explains why the CRV lost sales in March 2008, down 3.5% from March 07 while the Escape gained 12%. But wait, didn't the Escape have the same engine choices last year? Hmm.

How about, the one-engined Pilot which was down 29% from last year. Maybe if it had two engines its sales would have kept up with the Edge. Oops the Edge only has one engine choice too.

Hmm, this theory of your just isn't adding up..

The only thing that seems to add up is that the Escape has seen big sales increases, and CRV sales were down for the month.

The IMA system does make use of regenerative braking and the gas engine does have an idle-stop feature. It cannot, however, propel the car in fully-electric mode.

Thats correct, Honda has not built a full hybrid system like Ford and Toyota builds.

Honda also has been unable to produce a 6 speed auto trans yet either. I think they had to reploy engineering resources during Honda's massive 5 speed auto debacle.

A lot of engineering resources that could have gone into a 6 speed development were spent trying to correct Honda's design defects with their 5 speed autos.

Why Honda doesn't make a full hybrid system, I don't know.

Maybe your theory explains why the CRV lost sales in March 2008, down 3.5% from March 07 while the Escape gained 12%. But wait, didn't the Escape have the same engine choices last year? Hmm.

How about, the one-engined Pilot which was down 29% from last year. Maybe if it had two engines its sales would have kept up with the Edge. Oops the Edge only has one engine choice too.

Hmm, this theory of your just isn't adding up..

The only thing that seems to add up is that the Escape has seen big sales increases, and CRV sales were down for the month.

Range, you're barking up the wrong tree. What theory of mine are you referring to? I am looking at the CR-V sales figures and the Escape sales figures. Where does theory come into play? My reply was directed towards the person who claimed the one-engine CR-V was in trouble. I simply stated that it doesn't seem to be hurting it thus far, as it has still outsold the Escape (which is available with 3 powertrains). That may change but it hasn't so far. I'm not speculating or theorizing, just comparing two numbers.

Also, corrected for one less selling day in March 08 versus March 07, the CR-V is *up* 3.9% and up 7.9% for the year.

Where the hell did the Edge and Pilot come from? Are you on medication?

Edited by RAdams

The Pilot is in its final year...it will be replaced by an all-new model this fall. Considering that Honda is showing its successor in prototype form, it has been on the market for a few years now, and that Honda still doesn't use as many incentives to move the metal as the domestics, I'd say those figures aren't too shabby.

The current Civic is a full hybrid.

Not by most people's definition. The new hybrid Civic can not power itself via electric power alone like the Escape and Prius can.

Honda pretends its a full hybrid because it can decelerate with electric power and shut off the engine.

It can not accelerate or power itself from a stop, or run at a constant speed on electric power.

The Pilot is in its final year...it will be replaced by an all-new model this fall. Considering that Honda is showing its successor in prototype form, it has been on the market for a few years now, and that Honda still doesn't use as many incentives to move the metal as the domestics, I'd say those figures aren't too shabby.

That's a pretty weak defense for the Pilot. The Pilot's drop started long before the concept version of the new Pilot was released (and promptly flopped - reference 2009 Pilot DOA).

Actually the Pilot has had high incentives on it for MORE than a 18 months. Go check the record.

The Pilot currently has dealer incentives from $2,000 to $4,500 per unit based on volume moved.

A 29% drop is not shabby? umm, okay.

p.s. Does the new Pilot get a 6 speed automatic transmission finally?

Edited by range

Range, you're barking up the wrong tree. What theory of mine are you referring to? I am looking at the CR-V sales figures and the Escape sales figures. Where does theory come into play? My reply was directed towards the person who claimed the one-engine CR-V was in trouble. I simply stated that it doesn't seem to be hurting it thus far, as it has still outsold the Escape (which is available with 3 powertrains). That may change but it hasn't so far. I'm not speculating or theorizing, just comparing two numbers.

Also, corrected for one less selling day in March 08 versus March 07, the CR-V is *up* 3.9% and up 7.9% for the year.

Where the hell did the Edge and Pilot come from? Are you on medication?

The CRV sold fewer units in March 2008 than 2007. Period.

Do you have a different calendar that shows there were fewer than 31 days in March this year? Did March have 33 days last year?

Here are the figures for CRV sales:

March 2008 18,974

March 2007 19,658

18,974 is LESS than 19,658

The CRV sold fewer units in March 2008 than 2007. Period.

Do you have a different calendar that shows there were fewer than 31 days in March this year? Did March have 33 days last year?

Here are the figures for CRV sales:

March 2008 18,974

March 2007 19,658

18,974 is LESS than 19,658

Though I know you're aware of what a daily selling rate is, I'm going to lay it out for you anyway: There was one fewer selling day (i.e. one more Sunday) in March 2008 versus March 2007. Since you can't sell a product when your dealers (or whatever portion of your dealers) aren't open, many automakers use DSR as a comparison tool. No one is arguing it sold more in 07 than 08... if you reread my post it said the DSR was up.

And now that you've demonstrated being able to compare two numbers and determine which is bigger, I'm assuming you'll let the CR-V vs. Escape sales issue die.

Though I know you're aware of what a daily selling rate is, I'm going to lay it out for you anyway: There was one fewer selling day (i.e. one more Sunday) in March 2008 versus March 2007. Since you can't sell a product when your dealers (or whatever portion of your dealers) aren't open, many automakers use DSR as a comparison tool. No one is arguing it sold more in 07 than 08... if you reread my post it said the DSR was up.

And now that you've demonstrated being able to compare two numbers and determine which is bigger, I'm assuming you'll let the CR-V vs. Escape sales issue die.

Don't know what the rules are where you live, but just about every dealer is open here on Sundays.

That's a pretty weak defense for the Pilot. The Pilot's drop started long before the concept version of the new Pilot was released (and promptly flopped - reference 2009 Pilot DOA).

Actually the Pilot has had high incentives on it for MORE than a 18 months. Go check the record.

The Pilot currently has dealer incentives from $2,000 to $4,500 per unit based on volume moved.

A 29% drop is not shabby? umm, okay.

p.s. Does the new Pilot get a 6 speed automatic transmission finally?

The new Focus and Escape were supposed to be DOA, too. Remember?

All larger crossovers and SUVs have had high - and getting higher - incentives on them for months. The Pilot is hardly unique, and Honda still doesn't have to offer direct-to-customer rebates, unlike the domestics.

Considering that Honda isn't dumping the Pilot into fleets, there is more competition in this segment every year, it is in the final months before a complete redo, and the market is turning against larger vehicles, I'd say that a 29 percent decline isn't too bad.