Farley on the Success of the New Focus

range

Executive summary....

Focus gaining market share

Focus selling well above plan

Focus drawing younger buyers

Focus drawing $2000 more per transaction over last year

SYNC 2.0 comes out this quarter

Sales limited by production at Wayne plant, squeezing as much out of Wayne as possible

Not bad for a car the internet peanut gallery predicted was doomed to failure because it wasn't the C1 Focus or because of a little chrome trim piece on the side. :happy feet:

I really don't see SYNC as the only selling point of this car, the newness is a factor but there are a few other things that I feel appeal to younger buyers (and buyers across the board):

- Improved safety (std. side impact/curtain airbags)

- An interesting and new dash design

- Ugly or not, it is a different design. Look at how well the Civic sells, and I wouldn't consider it a styling tour de force.

I do have issues with the Focus, some that Ford has committed updates on:

- No rear head support at all. If not for safety how about for comfort

- Nasty headliner

- Cheap vinyl sun visors

- Drum brakes (well offer discs on the top of the line model at least)

- No 5-spd auto

Hopefully we see some updates in the near future.

sync hasn't been an impact item here, and we only sell more f-150s, then mustangs, than we sell foci. everything else is below that line(27 f-150s, 22 mustangs, 20 foci in march). most of the people that get the focus have been looking at revised styling(most say they don't like focus because of looks, then I point out re-design and they change their tune!), safety!, and improved ride quality!

from today's sales call:

And as Jim mentioned earlier, we’re going as hard as we can at Wayne on the production standpoint, there’s just nothing being left on the table at Wayne Assembly.

and to think some people around here predicted the new Focus would be a major flop. :hysterical:

Edited by 2005Explorer

Pfft, they've only just scratched the surface of that market.

The biggest reason the Focus' success is the extensive marketing and advertising, well done Ford!!!

The same would apply to the Crown Vic if they advertised that car. But they don't advertise it or any other large sedan. I have yet to see a Taurus ad, or very many Fusion ads. Pathetic. I see a dozen Honda Accord sedans, and not one Taurus ad. Or for that matter, many Fusion ads. If they ran ads like Honda does for it's Accord, Ford would be running two plants for the Crown Vic, or Taurus, or Fusion. At least that's what I beleive...

I know, preaching to the choir again!

The same would apply to the Crown Vic if they advertised that car.

There is no need to adverist the CV because you can't buy one though a Ford dealership! Its a Fleet only item...

I agree that there is zero Taurus advertisiting for some ungodly reason, but I've seen pently of local adveristing for the Fusion and Edge and lots of national adversiting for the Focus.

And how many of them where selling retail at that time?

How many of them WEREN'T selling since they're weren't stocked or advertised?

no sense to cater to a market that keeps shrinking year after year due to your client base dying off

Is it a shrinking market because the client base is dying off or because support from headquarters died off years ago? :finger:

Is it a shrinking market because the client base is dying off or because support from headquarters died off years ago? :finger:

Nope, the CV has been driven by nothing but Bluehairs or PD for as long as I can remember...and thats been well over 25 years...

All I know is that I noticed TODAY in the parking lot at sobey's grocery store, 4 GM's and 6CV's!

Even I thought that was strange, but there a lot of them around here. Of course 99% of taxi's and 100% of cop cars are CV's around here too. (wonder how many the local dealers move a year)

What I see here is;

small cars = mostly imports

medium = mostly domestic

large = all CV/GM's with the odd caprice or roadmaster

Small truck = ranger 10 or 15 to 1 on anything else, hell I'd feel comfortable saying 20:1

large PU = 65% ford, 20% GM, 10% dodge, 5% whatever else...and a couple tundra's

I don't think Ford plans on having a $25k baby Lincoln. I think they plan on having a $25k Focus at the top within 3-4 years and a $35k baby Lincoln within 5. The IS sells for 35-45k. That's the range Ford will target with Lincoln.

Has anyone heard if the Focus will get a nav system for 2009? It feels like a logical step with some of the updates coming, I just don't know if they can drill through that rock hard stack plastic. ;) Any updates on a new steering wheel? Honestly, that was my top complaint after driving it for a while. The steering wheel feels oversized and like a plastic play toy. Leather-wrapped helps, but not much.

I have to admit, though, the Focus is blowing me away. It is now the 11th best selling car in the U.S. The Corolla is number 9. Granted, Toyota will pick up some as the 2009 Corollas start to get discounted more and move off the lots, but for now, Ford has a hit - an unmitigated hit, even if the car itself is not perfect.

Think what they could have done with our ideal car... drool....

The coralla..

I has one for 3 weeks After some kid rammed thier SUV up my car's ARSE.

I can't say its a bad car.

compared to my 2000 MTX focus with SVT suspension, and 122,000 miles

pros

Economy, refinement, ride, good seats, good fit and finish, roominess

Cons

performance, handling, lack of passion, basic, no MP3 CD, lack of key Fob trunk opener, pathetic steering, doesn't like chuck-holes, squeaks, poor torsional rigidity.

I have had my car back for 2 weeks now.

the primary weakness of the Focus is it's NVH.

far noisier at speed, The Zetec screams

markedly higher wind and road noise.

I being me, investigated the reasons why Gen I focus are so noisy vs the corolla.

Philosophical differences between FoE and Toyota.

Ford Wanted the focus to be the best driving car in it class. which it is

The innovative suspension systems in the focus are far stiffer laterally for precise handling.

Toyo uses a U-shaped Front Subframe, connected from the radiator mount to the base of the fire wall. The frame spans ~1 meter from the firewall to the front of the car. it carries the L-shaped lower control arms and the powertrain rests upon it. The SUb frame itself is allowed to flex to disperse impact, much like Toyota did with the new tundra using frame deflection for a better ride, The downside is that you lose road feel. and poorer lateral stiffness, = less precise handling.

The C170 Focus use a stiff clamshell Sub-frame that connects to the base ofthe firewall, to 5 inches ahead of the axle line, a span of about .5 meters, offer excellent lateral stiffness for good handling, The design of the Focus uses L-shaped lower control arms with rubber bushings of which the Rear bushing is Voided to allow for Fore-aft compliance, while the front busing is solid for lateral stiffness a steering precision. the disadvantage is that road noise and impact harshness had a direct path to the body,and in into the cabin. On the C1 Revision Ford created an even stiffer subframe, and mou8nted it to the body Via rubber bushings, this allowed for more isolation and stiffen the Rear Control Arm bushing so the chassis could handle more power. the advantage of this over the toyota is that with an isolating subframe you maintain steering Accuracy as the frame keeps the front wheels moving together with the steering rack. disadvantage you do loose some road feel.

Wind noise is the biggest difference, Toyota spend far more time in the wind tunnel to stop wind noise at its source, the have used a deflectors to hide the wiper blades and prevent wind from creating turbulence around the a-pillars and wind shield. They also used thicker side glass in the front windows to keep noise out. this was fixed on the 2004 C1 foucs where these isues were addressed the same way, they was also addressed on the 2008 US Focus

The Focus pendulum engine mounts dating back to 1998 performed better at suppressing engine vibration at idle and at speed than Toyo, but the Zetecs design dating back to 1993. Can't match the newer Toyota 1.8 on noise, I am not sure if their noise insulation is better or if it's a quieter design or both but the Toyo is quieter at all speeds, but is still noisy at 6000 rpm. I will say the Electronic throttle does alot to keep the noise down keeping the car out of WOT and below 3000 rpm.

The Duratec HEs are quieter, haven't spent enough time in the 08 to tell if it is quieter than the Toyota.

What I want is the handling and ride of the Focus with the refinement of the corolla.

hopefully C2 has all that and i can put the 00 to pasture.