What should power the next focus

Biker16

I think the Volt will work. But its benefit is only as a PHEV. It's Downfall will we the cost of the batteries. Also it will get poor fuel efficiency if you get out of the range of the batteries.

Volt technology would be better used for City cars like the Smart. Then you can save money by using a gas engine instead of diesel and save on the on battery since you have a lite vehecle only needing a 10 mile range.

Volt technology would be better used for City cars like the Smart. Then you can save money by using a gas engine instead of diesel and save on the on battery since you have a lite vehecle only needing a 10 mile range.

Ford would not have to develop an engine for their Volt powered Smart. They could just buy it from Briggs and Stratton.

I'm going to try to get things back on Subject here. Specifically talk about the Focus, not turbo's, Eco, etc.

I would like to see an improved 2.0L engine. Basically similar to the new 2.5 coming out. VVT, DI. Maybe if that engine has more HP than the current 2.0L, drop it down to a 1.8L maybe. But with economy in mind. For a base engine, and base Focus, it doesn't need more than 110HP total. Base engine would also mean no turbo's to me.

Optionally, sure, put an Ecoboost in it. Whether it's twin scroll, twin turbo, I don't care. What ever is most economical and reliable. I would think a 1.6L would fit well, HP wise. And I'm still talking base Focus here.

Optional diesel, sure, why not. If they can keep economy up and emissions down, I'm for it. I would think with diesel prices being high in the US, it'll need the 50+mpg range in US gallons. Otherwise, I'm not sure the likely extra cost for the engine is worth it.

GS/RS, or what ever sporty Focus you have out there should have probably a couple of engines. A 2.5 DI, VVT would be good. Then add an even peppier EcoBoost turbo version. I would guess a 2.0L should have more than enough power. AWD optional.

Lastly, I think a 5 speed manual transmission would be good. Only way I would get rid of that is if the new double clutch auto's with manual shift are used. But that transmission should also be an option if they still use a standard auto.

Personally, I think the Fiesta will make a better platform for a Sporty compact than the current Focus. Now if we get a global Focus, then I can see a sporty version coming out.

Personally, I think the Fiesta will make a better platform for a Sporty compact than the current Focus. Now if we get a global Focus, then I can see a sporty version coming out.

Well, this entire thread is in reference to the global Focus. We aren't going to see any powertrain changes in the current US version before its demise.

Well, this entire thread is in reference to the global Focus. We aren't going to see any powertrain changes in the current US version before its demise.

Under Mulally, Ford will be upgrading, or replacing engines every few years. When an engine is redesigned, it will replace all engines around the world of that size.

I don't think the Focus needs any engine larger than a 2.0 L. As engine power improves, I can see having an option of a 1.8 L (maybe less) and 2.0 L in the US. Even if he Focus gains weight, I think this will still do.

1. No pricing for Ecoboost has been released or even been hinted at.

2. The Ecoboost engines (and all Duratecs for that matter) already use variable cam timing.

3. Stop spouting off about technology you obviously don't understand and know nothing about. There have been no released of power or fuel economy, so until then, you arguing about it is entirely pointless, much like the rest of your posts here.

So nothing about Ford's hydrogen fleet or hydraulic launch assist? Both of those are alternative energy technologies that you would likely consider "vaporware" just like the Volt. Hypocrite.

Ecoboost isn't supposed to take the place of hybrids or perform like hybrids. If it was, Ford wouldn't be releasing more hybrids. You don't even understand the underlying concept of Ecoboost at all, do you?

Damn your arguments are weak.

The leapfrog is the 1.4L EcoBoost that gets 20%+ better gas mileage, and provides more power than the 1.8L Honda i-VTEC or similiar engines in the Toyota Corolla and Nissan Altima.

That would excite the 80K or so people buying I4 engines in Asian cars every month because it looks like you are getting something extra for the same price.

Combine that with your equal rating in quality and you have a story to tell to car buyers.

Ooops! VW has already done that and added a 7 speed tranny.

Autoblog

Edited by mlhm5

Green badging will be important, It allows Ford to maket a technology that they can exploit, EcoBoost

I like the EcoNetic 1.4l Because it will deliver real world performance and hybrid like economy.

This would set ford apart from the slumbering competition with a Super economical cars and a reasonable price.

155hp and > 42mpg.

if you move to a 3.55 final-drive ratio you could add another 2 mpg.

Remember, in the US, they are trying to reduce build combinations, not expand them. There will be a base engine, which will likely be approximately 2.0L which will be a member of the 2.5L family that is coming out. It will probably feature TiVCT and maybe a few other tricks. It likely will not have GDI, or anything else more exotic than an intake tumble valve.

If there is a sporty focus, it might get the 2.5L I4 engine.

There will eventually be an EB engine in the focus, its only a matter of time. It will likely be a 1.4L I4 with all the EB bells and whistles.

I don't see anything more exotic than that happening in the US focus. If I had my way, the base engine would be a 1.6L I4 with GDI, TiVCT and all electric accessories. It would be possible to deliver sufficient hp and tq for the daily driver while still getting excellent gas mileage. It would also weigh a lot less than the EB engine package, be less complicated overall, and more appropriate for the application.

Base: 1.4L with dual VCT, DI, start/stop, electric steering, and a 6-speed DSG, I'm gonna guess that a combo like that could get around 31-33 city and 42-43 highway.

optional: Current 2.0L with dual VCT, DI, electric steering and the 6-speed DSG. Maybe about 28-29 city, and 38-40 highway.

SVT: AWD with 2.5L, Turbo, Dual VCT, DI, electric steering and beefed up 6-speed DSG, all out performance model to finally take out the STi and the Evo like they do in WRC.

Hybrid: 1.4L, dual VCT, DI, electric steering/water pump, start/stop, regenerative braking, 6-speed DSG. should be good for about 50 city, 50 highway.