What should power the next focus

Biker16

Simple question?

my lineup would have a focus on Economy.

Standard focus would come with a 130-140hp 1.8l Duartec I4

A midrange 155hp/ 145Ft/lbs EcoBoost 1.3l I-3 would be first ford car in N.A. that would wear "ECOnetic" brand

ECOnetic would represent, the green car for the masses.

A top line EcoBoost 2.0 200hp/160ft/lbs Focus GT or ST model

All motors would use the thrifty Durashift Automated MTX. 5spd for the Econetic and base models, and a 6spd for the GT/ST models. I would like a Start/Stop ISA to be used across the lineup or just on the ECOnetic version to save fuel in stop and go traffic. . I would use 3.82:1 Final drive ratio on the base and GT/ST and a Fuel stingy 3.56:1 on the ECOnetic 1.3.

I would estimate the Fuel economy would be:

1.8l 29/36 mpg

EB1.3 32/41

GT/ST 2.0 27/33

i would like to see the Focus get AWD availability since Ford is making AWD across all their cars and CUVs

i think the GT/ST models should have more power(260+ across) and AWD standard

but thats just me, but i would not want to see the Focus GT/ST become the next Civic Si aka. "Torqueless Wonder"

although a turbo would help with getting the tq down low and a 2.0l with a turbo will make more than 200 hp

These cars will use a combination of the latest common-rail DIESEL powertrains together with other carefully-selected features engineered to reduce CO2 emissions to the absolute minimum.

http://media.ford.com/Article_Display.Cfm?Article_Id=26803

This 1.6-litre Duratorq TDCi engine features a standard DIESEL particulate filter and also returns 65.7 mpg on the cycle.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/24/ford-to...cars-in-europe/

Econetic diesels are superb don't know if the Californians would like them though.

i would like to see the Focus get AWD availability since Ford is making AWD across all their cars and CUVs

i think the GT/ST models should have more power(260+ across) and AWD standard

but thats just me, but i would not want to see the Focus GT/ST become the next Civic Si aka. "Torqueless Wonder"

although a turbo would help with getting the tq down low and a 2.0l with a turbo will make more than 200 hp

I did not mention the RS. which would have AWD, and cost closer to 30k, The ST/GT would slot between them, I didn't want the torque to ruin the driving experience because the GT/ST would only be FWD.

I would like to see AWD but I don't know if the take rate would be as high enough because the price of gas, which could be over 4.00 a gallon by 2010.

After spending time with a friends New Impreza, I don't know if we could sacrifice passenger and cargo room for AWD, if it could be done without doing that I am all for it.

A midrange 155hp/ 145Ft/lbs EcoBoost 1.3l I-3 would be first ford car in N.A. that would wear "ECOnetic" brand

The only problem is that I3 is a really rough running engine...not to mention it would be expesive to build, I doubt we'll see much in the way of Ecoboost engines in the small car lineup outside performance cars

The only problem is that I3 is a really rough running engine...not to mention it would be expesive to build, I doubt we'll see much in the way of Ecoboost engines in the small car lineup outside performance cars

Reduce the size to 1.0 L I-3. Then you won't feel the vibrations. Move it to Fiesta sized vehicle. Focus Size would be 1.4 I-4. If your using E-B, give it a unique aerodynamic body and hybrid like the Prius. Sell it to environmentalist only at a premium price. Consumers are too cheap to pay the price for the technology in the Fiesta unless they can show off that they are ECO friendly.

Here is the target. Matching this performance will not be good enough to attract the consumer currently buying Asian cars.

26/34mpg

26/34?

Current Focus already gets 24/35 with the manual. I imagine with the somewhat likely addition of a 6AT to the next Focus, those numbers will easily be eclipsed.

um ... the current 2.0l in the Focus gets the same performance and better fuel economy ... hmm ..

Igor

Well then there is no excuse for Honda selling 50K cars a month in the USA since Ford has eclipsed them in engine performance and tied them in quality.

Well then there is no excuse for Honda selling 50K cars a month in the USA since Ford has eclipsed them in engine performance and tied them in quality.

You're right for once. There is no excuse, except that perception lags behind reality. That's really all there is to it. Well that and Honda's damn-near-indestructible (and only somewhat deserved) image for being green.

Edited by NickF1011

You're right for once. There is no excuse, except that perception lags behind reality. That's really all there is to it. Well that and Honda's damn-near-indestructible (and only somewhat deserved) image for being green.

Say whaaaat? Have you ever owned a Honda?

There is a huge credibility gap, built up over many years, between Detroit, Ford included, and the American car buyer (not truck buyer). It will take years of performance, not retoric, to turn the tide, and the competition will not be sitting still.

IMO, putting a three year old Mazda engine, with minor upgrades, in most of Ford's fleet is a defensive, not offensive move since the Asian/German competition has already downsized with sophisticated fuel efficient N/A engines.

Ford was afraid to break the curve and introduce cutting edge technology as Toyota did with the Prius or as GM is with the Volt. There seems to be a certain timidity at Ford about over reaching and failing, however just being equal is no longer good enough.

Edited by mlhm5

There is a huge credibility gap, built up over many years, between Detroit, Ford included, and the American car buyer (not truck buyer). It will take years of performance, not retoric, to turn the tide, and the competition will not be sitting still.

Agree with you here...but then you lost me.

IMO, putting a three year old Mazda engine, with minor upgrades, in most of Ford's fleet is a defensive, not offensive move since the Asian/German competition has already downsized with sophisticated fuel efficient N/A engines.

What the flying fuck are you talking about? What engine are you even talking about? The D23? The D35? The D30? Fuel economy ratings on all of those are quite on par with any competition.

Secondly, in the world of engine architectures, 3 years is NOTHING. Heck, all of Toyota's, Nissan's, and Honda's V6's are based off architecture designed in the 1990's.

Ford was afraid to break the curve and introduce cutting edge technology as Toyota did with the Prius or as GM is with the Volt. There seems to be a certain timidity at Ford about over reaching and failing, however just being equal is no longer good enough.

Yeah, Ford didn't use any cutting edge technology in the Escape/Mariner/Tribute Hybrid. It's only the most fuel-efficient SUV in America (and the first hybrid SUV in the world). Nope, no Fusion/Milan Hybrids out early next year. How about Sync? Yeah, everybody is using that these days. Nothing new there. Ford has a fleet of hydrogen vehicles. Yeah, everybody has one of those too, right? Hydraulic Launch Assist? That's got to be an option on the Tundra already...oh wait. Give it a rest, troll.

And the Volt? Are you kidding? YOUR OWN TERM to describe that one is "vaporware". How the hell can you call out Ford for not being as innovative as GM while at the same time calling out GM for not being able to follow through on the innovations they present?

You've lost it. (Not that I think you ever had it to begin with.)

Edited by NickF1011

Agree with you here...but then you lost me.

What the flying fuck are you talking about? What engine are you even talking about? The D23? The D35? The D30? Fuel economy ratings on all of those are quite on par with any competition.

Secondly, in the world of engine architectures, 3 years is NOTHING. Heck, all of Toyota's, Nissan's, and Honda's V6's are based off architecture designed in the 1990's.

Yeah, Ford didn't use any cutting edge technology in the Escape/Mariner/Tribute Hybrid. It's only the most fuel-efficient SUV in America (and the first hybrid SUV in the world). Nope, no Fusion/Milan Hybrids out early next year. How about Sync? Yeah, everybody is using that these days. Nothing new there. Ford has a fleet of hydrogen vehicles. Yeah, everybody has one of those too, right? Hydraulic Launch Assist? That's got to be an option on the Tundra already...oh wait. Give it a rest, troll.

And the Volt? Are you kidding? YOUR OWN TERM to describe that one is "vaporware". How the hell can you call out Ford for not being as innovative as GM while at the same time calling out GM for not being able to follow through on the innovations they present?

You've lost it. (Not that I think you ever had it to begin with.)

Ford's ecoboost is a defensive move because the technology in the Honda DOHC i-VTEC engine or similar is not available at Ford and probably won't be since the cost to develop or license would be much higher than twin turbocharging an I4.

Why add a two turbos to a 4 cyl engine and increase the complexity and cost when VTC is a credible answer used by companies selling 80K cars a month in the USA.

Yes, I believe the Volt is vaporware and will never materialize because of GM's history, so I am very pessimistic, however the technology has been moved along greatly by the effort.

Maybe Ford can convince consumers that buy Asian cars that they need turborcharged I4's and pay more for it, however I don't think so unless the engine delivers Prius like performance.

Ford's ecoboost is a defensive move because the technology in the Honda DOHC i-VTEC engine or similar is not available at Ford and probably won't be since the cost to develop or license would be much higher than twin turbocharging an I4.

Why add a two turbos to a 4 cyl engine and increase the complexity and cost when VTC is a credible answer used by companies selling 80K cars a month in the USA.

Yes, I believe the Volt is vaporware and will never materialize because of GM's history, so I am very pessimistic, however the technology has been moved along greatly by the effort.

Maybe Ford can convince consumers that buy Asian cars that they need turborcharged I4's and pay more for it, however I don't think so unless the engine delivers Prius like performance.

I think the Volt will work. But its benefit is only as a PHEV. It's Downfall will we the cost of the batteries. Also it will get poor fuel efficiency if you get out of the range of the batteries.

1. No pricing for Ecoboost has been released or even been hinted at.

2. The Ecoboost engines (and all Duratecs for that matter) already use variable cam timing.

3. Stop spouting off about technology you obviously don't understand and know nothing about. There have been no released of power or fuel economy, so until then, you arguing about it is entirely pointless, much like the rest of your posts here.

So nothing about Ford's hydrogen fleet or hydraulic launch assist? Both of those are alternative energy technologies that you would likely consider "vaporware" just like the Volt. Hypocrite.

Ecoboost isn't supposed to take the place of hybrids or perform like hybrids. If it was, Ford wouldn't be releasing more hybrids. You don't even understand the underlying concept of Ecoboost at all, do you?

Damn your arguments are weak.

In your dreams, troll, in your dreams. Ford has access to all the engine tech it needs.

That's why Ford's EcoBoost 4-cylinder units will use one dual-scroll turbo.

But EcoBoost owners won't like the 500 pounds of lead in the trunk to lower the performance to Prius-like levels. :hysterical: