UAW

sun3

The UAW as a whole has lost credibility and is living up to the medias perception of it--over paid, lazy, corrupt, etc. We need to get back to basics and remember that the union is there to represent us. We need them now more than ever. We need to fight for our jobs and keep jobs in our country. The union has become such a business that the roots has become tangled and jumbled up. It is time to clean it up and fight again like we did years ago. I know people out there think I am just a big whiner and don't like joel etc. The fact is he could be one of the solutions if he could stop being part of the problem. We have very few people left downtown who have the history to see where this is going. The young see the union as a free ride. I don't mean all young or all older are of any one mindset. It is just really time to get back to basics and in a hurry if we are going to save the American auto workers from extinction. It starts on the ground level. We need to really look in the mirror and ask ourselves if we are doing a good job when we go to work or are we laying back and loafing. Are we seeing a lot of people taking advantage and if so how can we stop the bleeding. If we don't become really productive as a whole we will lose it all. Please don't blast me with negativity, this is just my thought and I hope it will move some people to change.

The UAW as a whole has lost credibility and is living up to the medias perception of it--over paid, lazy, corrupt, etc. We need to get back to basics and remember that the union is there to represent us. We need them now more than ever. We need to fight for our jobs and keep jobs in our country. The union has become such a business that the roots has become tangled and jumbled up. It is time to clean it up and fight again like we did years ago. I know people out there think I am just a big whiner and don't like joel etc. The fact is he could be one of the solutions if he could stop being part of the problem. We have very few people left downtown who have the history to see where this is going. The young see the union as a free ride. I don't mean all young or all older are of any one mindset. It is just really time to get back to basics and in a hurry if we are going to save the American auto workers from extinction. It starts on the ground level. We need to really look in the mirror and ask ourselves if we are doing a good job when we go to work or are we laying back and loafing. Are we seeing a lot of people taking advantage and if so how can we stop the bleeding. If we don't become really productive as a whole we will lose it all. Please don't blast me with negativity, this is just my thought and I hope it will move some people to change.

Everything you said was discredited when you blasted Joel. He is far from a "problem" for your plant. He not only saved it, he is your solution to future work. You have no idea what you are talking about when you speak of what he does for your plant. You don't realize the friends he has, the respect he has, from both Company and Union at the highest levels. He may be "rough around the edges" when it comes to a tea party, but when it comes down to rolling up the sleeves and fighting for your plant with top management, he's hard to beat in an argument for his membership and he'll chew the head off anyone in the Company that wishes any ills to your plant or workloads. I have personally seen it. I respect him. All of the negotiators respected him, the UAW respects him....you should also.

Now if you can't respect him for your own reasons, don't disrespect him for the job he does, because only someone ignorant of what he actually does would say such a thing. And sister I don't mean ignorant as in stupid, I mean it as in "not knowledgeable of what happens in meetings" because you aren't there. Not being disrespectful to you, as a member doing your job everyday you don't have the luxury to know what happens in every meeting, what was going to happen - that he stopped, what wasn't going to happen - that he made sure did, etc....

Everything else you said above is a good way to make sure the things he is fighting for - actually happen, and they mean continued job security for you, as well as all of us. The newspapers are finally declaring our victory in the quality arena, and that is due to the working members of our union. You could well say that we need to continue to improve in many areas where you can help, without biting the hand that feeds you.

I respectfully disagree...I am very happy that the young leaders were selected to go downtown..I do not know any of them personally but have heard that they are like the wiz team..I have heard nothing but good about those folks..I was told they enjoy long hours and hard work.

I turst who tells me these things...he knows them all personally. The guy who told me this worked and lived with them for months. He says they are all very smart and hard working....again I trust what he tells me. He did not take a job downtown even tho he could have, because of the long hours and the long drive to work.

You need to understand that Bob King is a work aholic....he loves to work for this union...and he loves to make sure his staff works as hard as he does...(not many happy campers at solidarity)

Now some new info that might shut you up....and the rest of you who think the people who take these jobs are lazy overpaid bastards who are out of touch with the membership....NEWS FLASH..

The reps who go downtown from now on....will no longer get the full rate...they get a 80% 20% ratio (JUST LIKE US IN FORD)

They start out at 70% of thier wages...so they start at 70k a year......6 year grow in to full wages now..(just like us at Ford)

NO MORE DEFINED PENSION....(401) K.....yikes.....and the medical has changed just like the membership in the plant they represent..

(Just like us at Ford)

That sounds like alot of reality to me....not sure what you think, but how many Chaiman or Presidents are going to want to take a 50k to 100k pay cut to go on staff from the big three?? (NONE YOU SAY) exactly.

The UAW looks like they are walking like they are talking finally....and I for one am glad to see it happen. Now we need to take thier lead and do the same in our locals...

My thoughts are this about why the UAW is not living up to our legacy right now...30 years ago all the members of the union participated in everything the union put on...and the membership showed solidarity because the membership knew how important it was to stay involved to keep thier union strong....the union got so strong that people forgot what it really takes to fight....now the unipn needs its members and the members say whats in it for me...I blame alot of what happends to the UAW on me and you....we are not doing our part to make this union grow and prosper....you been to American Axle Yet? me neither.....we are the problem bro.

Everything you said was discredited when you blasted Joel. He is far from a "problem" for your plant. He not only saved it, he is your solution to future work. You have no idea what you are talking about when you speak of what he does for your plant. You don't realize the friends he has, the respect he has, from both Company and Union at the highest levels. He may be "rough around the edges" when it comes to a tea party, but when it comes down to rolling up the sleeves and fighting for your plant with top management, he's hard to beat in an argument for his membership and he'll chew the head off anyone in the Company that wishes any ills to your plant or workloads. I have personally seen it. I respect him. All of the negotiators respected him, the UAW respects him....you should also.

Now if you can't respect him for your own reasons, don't disrespect him for the job he does, because only someone ignorant of what he actually does would say such a thing. And sister I don't mean ignorant as in stupid, I mean it as in "not knowledgeable of what happens in meetings" because you aren't there. Not being disrespectful to you, as a member doing your job everyday you don't have the luxury to know what happens in every meeting, what was going to happen - that he stopped, what wasn't going to happen - that he made sure did, etc....

Everything else you said above is a good way to make sure the things he is fighting for - actually happen, and they mean continued job security for you, as well as all of us. The newspapers are finally declaring our victory in the quality arena, and that is due to the working members of our union. You could well say that we need to continue to improve in many areas where you can help, without biting the hand that feeds you.

I do respect him for the job he's done and have said so many, many times!!! I just wish he would help to save the UAW too. He has the position and power to help put the 'U' back in the union. We all need to band together. I do know of all the things joel has done to save work and jobs at Rawsonville and am very thankful for that. No one can say he doesn't fight the fight, you missed my point entirely. I hope that he can help the members of the UAW to see that we are in a battle for our lives right now--the whole UAW not just individual plants. He has the history, knowledge and position to help teach the leaders of our future what is cost to get where we are and how close we are to losing it all. that is all I meant. He can help and so can the seniority leaders in the other plants. We need to work together so that when the joels of the union are gone we will know how to fight the fight to keep our jobs in this country and keep them as good paying jobs with good benefits.

I do respect him for the job he's done and have said so many, many times!!! I just wish he would help to save the UAW too. He has the position and power to help put the 'U' back in the union. We all need to band together. I do know of all the things joel has done to save work and jobs at Rawsonville and am very thankful for that. No one can say he doesn't fight the fight, you missed my point entirely. I hope that he can help the members of the UAW to see that we are in a battle for our lives right now--the whole UAW not just individual plants. He has the history, knowledge and position to help teach the leaders of our future what is cost to get where we are and how close we are to losing it all. that is all I meant. He can help and so can the seniority leaders in the other plants. We need to work together so that when the joels of the union are gone we will know how to fight the fight to keep our jobs in this country and keep them as good paying jobs with good benefits.

Great point...GET INVOLVED......work with JOEL then...help him see this...he can't do everything...thats my point. Too many people are looking at the union like an insurance policy...thats not what the union is....it is what it has become to many many people..thats our problem.

Great point...GET INVOLVED......work with JOEL then...help him see this...he can't do everything...thats my point. Too many people are looking at the union like an insurance policy...thats not what the union is....it is what it has become to many many people..thats our problem.

I don't only mean leaders downtown, I mean in plant leaders like joel. we need leaders at all levels and I know just looking around that there are many good people who would do a good job. I just hope that the UAW gets strong again from the ground level up. We need to fight this battle together.

I don't only mean leaders downtown, I mean in plant leaders like joel. we need leaders at all levels and I know just looking around that there are many good people who would do a good job. I just hope that the UAW gets strong again from the ground level up. We need to fight this battle together.

Amen sister.

Want the UAW to be strong again? So do I, and many others. Are you involved in your local? If so, great; if not, get involved! Volunteer to be on a committee. Run for office---even if it's for at-large.

Encourage your coworkers to get involved, too.

You can bitch---only if you're willing to help!

Want the UAW to be strong again? So do I, and many others. Are you involved in your local? If so, great; if not, get involved! Volunteer to be on a committee. Run for office---even if it's for at-large.

Encourage your coworkers to get involved, too.

You can bitch---only if you're willing to help!

Those are great ways to get involved but, the everyone needs to be proactive in telling the leaders to stand up and fight for jobs and health issues. Stop all the back door deals, stop supporting all there in plant girl-friends and worry about the whole UAW membership!!!! Once the UAW goes back to why it was started it will gain the respect of Americans, and not until then!!! Everyone tells more stories about so many getting away with fake medicals, sleeping in the plants, stealing( we had a guy steal our ATM and our local pulled strings SICK!!!!) this is why so many outside the union don't support our members!!!

Those are great ways to get involved but, the everyone needs to be proactive in telling the leaders to stand up and fight for jobs and health issues. Stop all the back door deals, stop supporting all there in plant girl-friends and worry about the whole UAW membership!!!! Once the UAW goes back to why it was started it will gain the respect of Americans, and not until then!!! Everyone tells more stories about so many getting away with fake medicals, sleeping in the plants, stealing( we had a guy steal our ATM and our local pulled strings SICK!!!!) this is why so many outside the union don't support our members!!!

Exactly the types of things I am talking about!!! This is all the media sees. We need to show people that we are from every walk of life and we have good work ethics for the most part. We need to show pride in our product and support our company even when they do things we don't agree with. Buy our products, promote our products, but most of all take pride in your job and do it as good as you can! Come to work every day and fight for right things and the right people, fight against the wrong! We really need to unite now to save our jobs and our position in the workplace.

Thanks for posting that on a world wide web! You are sure doing your part to help our Public perception. NOT!

Thanks for posting that on a world wide web! You are sure doing your part to help our Public perception. NOT!

No offense, but sometimes using public embarrassment to invoke change is a reasonable idea, especially after 40yrs of trying everything else that hasn't worked.

Besides, what's the big secret? I will admit it is getting much better, although by your response even you realize there still seems to be a problem.

No offense, but sometimes using public embarrassment to invoke change is a reasonable idea, especially after 40yrs of trying everything else that hasn't worked.

Besides, what's the big secret? I will admit it is getting much better, although by your response even you realize there still seems to be a problem.

Hello Ima, how ya been? I have seen you around, but you seem to be focused on other threads than me up till now.

Anyway bud... fom my perspective I see it as a constant "shot" that I feel is unwarranted. I guess many workers don't realize the "big picture". They feel (based on what I read) that if they have a "screwed up" or useless local union rep, or if their local rep does something appalling, then it must go all the way up the hierarchy.

The truth is the "Union" is "us"........but it is also "them".

That screwed up Union rep at that (nameless) local is one of of their members that they elected. It is not "us" that has to change, it is the way they vote that needs changing. You cannot be responsible for electing someone, especially a first timer, and then shirk the blame for them "up the totem pole" when they suck or do something stupid.

Conversely, there are many great/good union reps that lose their positions for making the right decisions. I have seen much more of this - than the former - over these tough economic years. People have taken out their frustrations on their reps, blaming them for things beyond their control, even when they fought their hardest for their memberships. I guess we can chalk that up to politics in general, and human nature.

Anywho, thats JMO brother. I know it comes with the territory, maybe I take it too personal.

Hello Ima, how ya been? I have seen you around, but you seem to be focused on other threads than me up till now.

Anyway bud... fom my perspective I see it as a constant "shot" that I feel is unwarranted. I guess many workers don't realize the "big picture". They feel (based on what I read) that if they have a "screwed up" or useless local union rep, or if their local rep does something appalling, then it must go all the way up the hierarchy.

The truth is the "Union" is "us"........but it is also "them".

That screwed up Union rep at that (nameless) local is one of of their members that they elected. It is not "us" that has to change, it is the way they vote that needs changing. You cannot be responsible for electing someone, especially a first timer, and then shirk the blame for them "up the totem pole" when they suck or do something stupid.

Conversely, there are many great/good union reps that lose their positions for making the right decisions. I have seen much more of this - than the former - over these tough economic years. People have taken out their frustrations on their reps, blaming them for things beyond their control, even when they fought their hardest for their memberships. I guess we can chalk that up to politics in general, and human nature.

Anywho, thats JMO brother. I know it comes with the territory, maybe I take it too personal.

I was not attacking the reps, although I agree there are good and bad. I wasn't attacking anyone to be honest. All I was pointing out is that what he said used to be true to great extent, less so now. He is not lieing, and if he was, nobody would say anything except what have you been smoking.

I respectfully disagree...I am very happy that the young leaders were selected to go downtown..I do not know any of them personally but have heard that they are like the wiz team..I have heard nothing but good about those folks..I was told they enjoy long hours and hard work.

I turst who tells me these things...he knows them all personally. The guy who told me this worked and lived with them for months. He says they are all very smart and hard working....again I trust what he tells me. He did not take a job downtown even tho he could have, because of the long hours and the long drive to work.

You need to understand that Bob King is a work aholic....he loves to work for this union...and he loves to make sure his staff works as hard as he does...(not many happy campers at solidarity)

Now some new info that might shut you up....and the rest of you who think the people who take these jobs are lazy overpaid bastards who are out of touch with the membership....NEWS FLASH..

The reps who go downtown from now on....will no longer get the full rate...they get a 80% 20% ratio (JUST LIKE US IN FORD)

They start out at 70% of thier wages...so they start at 70k a year......6 year grow in to full wages now..(just like us at Ford)

NO MORE DEFINED PENSION....(401) K.....yikes.....and the medical has changed just like the membership in the plant they represent..

(Just like us at Ford)

That sounds like alot of reality to me....not sure what you think, but how many Chaiman or Presidents are going to want to take a 50k to 100k pay cut to go on staff from the big three?? (NONE YOU SAY) exactly.

The UAW looks like they are walking like they are talking finally....and I for one am glad to see it happen. Now we need to take thier lead and do the same in our locals...

My thoughts are this about why the UAW is not living up to our legacy right now...30 years ago all the members of the union participated in everything the union put on...and the membership showed solidarity because the membership knew how important it was to stay involved to keep thier union strong....the union got so strong that people forgot what it really takes to fight....now the unipn needs its members and the members say whats in it for me...I blame alot of what happends to the UAW on me and you....we are not doing our part to make this union grow and prosper....you been to American Axle Yet? me neither.....we are the problem bro.

Was there an amendment to the Constitution? How exactly were these changes made??

Was there an amendment to the Constitution? How exactly were these changes made??

Heard from a rep. the IEB is voting on the changes this week. Only after the hand picked were already in place. Once again persons who are not effected are voting for future generations. It is good to see them sacrifice like the rest though. I just hope they think about getting qualified persons instead of someone just trying to get off the line.

(Just like us at Ford)

I have been there.....seemed to me that a lot of older people were the ones walking on the line. The younger workers were just hanging out!!

Looks like GM is behind this whole thing. They will be hit next, if the UAW does not get what it needs for the members!! Good Luck guys/gals and relieve those older guys/gals........ they should be the ones sitting around!!

Edited by Captain723

I have been there.....seemed to me that a lot of older people were the ones walking on the line. The younger workers were just hanging out!!

Looks like GM is behind this whole thing. They will be hit next, if the UAW does not get what it needs for the members!! Good Luck guys/gals and relieve those older guys/gals........ they should be the ones sitting around!!

Are you nuts? The AAP strike has been going on since Feb. 26th and it has closed close to 30 GM plants if not completely then partially AND GM still has a surplus of vehicles. GM and AAP probably couldn't be happier. It's been stated that AAP is ramping up production of parts that used to be done in NY or detroit at it southern locations. These folks on the line are losing jobs every day they strike. I don't understand the problem as they will be making just as much as future ford workers.

Ford is probably pissed that the uaw won't strike and shut down there facilities so they can save some money too.

Are you always so stupid or is today a special occasion?

Are you nuts? The AAP strike has been going on since Feb. 26th and it has closed close to 30 GM plants if not completely then partially AND GM still has a surplus of vehicles. GM and AAP probably couldn't be happier. It's been stated that AAP is ramping up production of parts that used to be done in NY or detroit at it southern locations. These folks on the line are losing jobs every day they strike. I don't understand the problem as they will be making just as much as future ford workers.

Ford is probably pissed that the uaw won't strike and shut down there facilities so they can save some money too.

DavDog------------>While I agree with you on your points, the real deal comes back to IF the UAW settles when the excess vehicles run out. If the members are willing to take the pain and really want to PROMOTE UNIONISM, then they should demand 2 settlements. One immediately stops this strike, and if they do not accept it, one that they will ONLY accept after a certain date.

In this case, GM then has to make the call. To me, it is worthless to strike and let a company bide their time. Rather you tell them to accept this now, or the demands grow as the power shifts from you to us as your inventory drops to unacceptable levels.

This is where I and the UAW part company as far as recent events. If the members are willing to strike, then you do not make convenient to use your action to make/save moneuy. You force them to make decisions that the longer they fight, the more they pay.

Stick a needle in someones ass, and it hurts. Tell them if you don't see it our way soon, we will stick it in your eye, and they start to pay attention!!!

Good luck brothers and sisters!!!!

How is that "just like us in Ford"? Does everyone who transfers to another plant have to start over on their wage progresion?

This is a special occasion.... I prefer to leave trolls where they belong, but since you asked. Let Ford, Gm, and all the rest of the scum suckers leave the U.S. and when there is no one left to buy the product they can cry to the board of directors about market share.

A line worker is overpaid at 25 an hour but a CEO is market driven at 30 million :finger: Even if he did introduce a startling revelation "It's in the product" such wisdom from the both of you

How is that "just like us in Ford"? Does everyone who transfers to another plant have to start over on their wage progresion?

Yes when you transfer from your plant to International you get 70% then over 6 year you get to full rate. that a 400k over 6 year savings alone.. without pension and health care changes...and there is alot of that also..what is your point?

Yes when you transfer from your plant to International you get 70% then over 6 year you get to full rate. that a 400k over 6 year savings alone.. without pension and health care changes...and there is alot of that also..what is your point?

My point is that anyone who goes "downtown" has not only paid their dues they have proven their ability to lead. Treating them like new hires is no different than making a transferred employee start over at 70%.

:finger::finger:

you're right but you can't do it by being in clicks, favoritism sucks, it makes the rest feel like they are fringe riders. one guy said he wasn't sure he could trust his union. we need ppl we can trust in these jobs to fight for us. everyone says joel is a good chairman, and they don't like his side activities, it makes ppl uneasy is all. it says a lot about a guy, how he is with his family. sure, no one knows the whole story and it's none of our business, ppl need the trust. it's the same with national elections, if ppl don't make you comfortable with their lives, it's hard to get behind them even when you want to.