First drive: Ford FG Falcon - Full Range tested

jpd80

They love it!

XT: http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...=12&IsPgd=0

XR6 NA: http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...51244&vf=12

XR6T: http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...51245&vf=12

0-100km/h: 5.1 seconds (0-62.5 mph)

0-400m: 13.4 seconds

Top speed after 400m: 172km/h (107.5 mph)

G6: http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...51246&vf=12

XR8: http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...51247&vf=12

0-100km/h: 6.3 seconds (0-62.5 mph)

0-400m: 14.4 seconds

Top speed after 400m: 166km/h (103.75 mph)

G6E: http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...51248&vf=12

G6E Turbo: http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...51242&vf=12

First drive: Ford FG Falcon - Drive.com.au

Toby Hagon, drive.com.au, April 10, 2008

The Drive team finally gets behind the wheel of Ford’s new FG Falcon, the most important Falcon ever.

Ford’s new Falcon is bigger and better than ever, but what’s it like to drive? The Drive team has driven all seven model variants and delivered its verdict.

On the whole, Drive’s experts are very impressed with the improvements made to the new Falcon.

Particularly impressive is the more spacious cabin, which feels more open and user-friendly, especially for larger people. The roofline has been pushed up and forward, so those in the front no longer feel as though they’re sitting too far up and forward.

The new Falcon is also a lot quieter on the road. It does such a good job of suppressing wind noise around the mirrors and windows that the hushed cabin actually highlights other sounds. In some models, for example – mainly the sports variants, with their bigger tyres – there’s some noticeable tyre roar on coarse-chip bitumen surfaces at freeway speeds.

The steering of the new Falcon is also more reassuring and engaging, aiding driver confidence and assurance, while not detracting from the around-town manoeuvrability.

The turbocharged six-cylinder engine, too, is seriously impressive and capable of sprinting to 100km/h in 5.1 seconds, according to our tests.

The regular six-cylinder is more muscular than ever, forming the basis for a surprising package on the entry-level Falcon XT.

While the FG Falcon is not the giant leap the VE Commodore was over the VZ Commodore it replaced, it arguably didn’t need to be.

Drive’s exclusive comparison test two years ago revealed that the driving experience of the outgoing BA/BF Falcon was good enough for the Falcon to hold its own in the driving department against the then-fresher VE Commodore.

From the first time you slip behind the wheel of the new Falcon it feels like a more cohesive machine.

In many ways, though, it’s the smaller things in the FG Falcon package which, combined, add volumes to the overall Falcon vehicle.

The engine ignition system, for example, is more user-friendly. There’s no need to hold the key around to the ‘start’ position thanks to the one-touch start. A brief flick to the ‘start’ position is all that’s required for the engine to judge how much cranking is needed to start the car.

The three-click indicators are ideal for changing lanes, while the interior plastics are a step above and more competitive with similarly priced vehicles. The lower part of the centre console, too, is more classy and useful, yet it still holds a packet of tissues.

Of course, the new Falcon is not perfect. There’s some mild steering rack rattle when cornering over bumps and the V8 engine in the XR8 is thoroughly outclassed by the brilliant six-cylinder turbo that’s now in the Falcon XR6 Turbo and newly created Falcon G6E Turbo.

Overall, though, the new FG Falcon is a substantial step forward for Ford, adding a modern take to an existing formula to better take the fight to Holden.

Edited by jpd80

FordFGFalconXR6Turbo_1_m.jpg

MUST HAVE!!!!!!!!!

The guys at Drive.com.au are "very supportive" of Holden so this shows how good the Falcon is.

The XR6 Turbo's quarter mile time - 13.4 seconds was achieved in D (drive) with the Air Conditioner on.

This car embarrases the Commodore SS (Pontiac G8) in both performance and fuel economy.

Roll on Ecoboost in 2010:

XR6Turbo_07_L_700.jpg

Edited by jpd80

What doesn't Ford understand about $4 a gallon gas and horsepower. They better have a 30mpg combined model if they want to sell it to the average American family.

No one has a full-size family sedan that averages 30 MPG combined in the states. Nobody. But :eek5: they still get bought!

Good looking car.

Can't argue with that.

GOD DAMN...that is a beautiful machine.

fap.gif

I would still rather a V8 though...but I would take which ever is the better car overall.

EDIT: You know...the G8 GT runs a 13.12 quarter STOCK...far better than 13.4...

V8 BABY!

No reputable road test will back that claim up - that car on youtube has been "tuned".

The XR6 Turbo was test driven by people who like Holden (Pontiac). They did the quarter mile runs

in "D" with the A/C on and traction control activated - time after time it did 13.4!!!!!

Wait until the manuals and particularly 400 hp FPV versions come out - solid 12 second runners!!!

Hey P71, they use the base model for Taxis you know......

Edited by jpd80

Andrew Heasley - The Age.com.au

April 9, 2008

In the luxury G6E model (what would previously have been known as the Fairmont Ghia) fitted with a sophisticated

6-speed auto, the trip computer calculated the average consumption at US 30 mpg (7.7 litres per 100km), significantly

under the official rate of US23.3 mpg (10.1 L/100 km).

This was calculated over a 50km stage that included a variety of winding, flowing roads with varying speed zones up to

62.5 mph (100 km/h). Before we took to the wheel, the previous driver had achieved US 18.3 (12.9L/100 km).

In a four-kilometre section governed by a 90 km/h zone, the fuel reading dropped to US 34.74 mpg (6.8L/100 km).

This is remarkable given the engine size (4.0L in-line six-cylinder) and the car's size and 3750 lb (1.7-tonne) weight.

It also shows that driving style has an enormous influence on fuel consumption, despite under-bonnet techno-wizardry.

At the other end of the scale in an XR6 Turbo performance model (boasting 360 hp, 270 kW and 395 lbft, 533 Nm of torque)

on a tortuous, uphill, winding mountain pass that necessitated mostly second and third gear work, fuel readings blew out to

12.9 mpg(18.3 L/100km) before settling back to 16.5 mpg (14.3L) as the road opened up.

Generally, our figures for fuel consumption hovered in the US 19.5-23 mpg(10L to 12 L/100km) range, depending on engine

and transmission choices.

I thought this made interesting reading.

Edited by jpd80

Wow, that XR6T sure embarassed that boat anchor of an engine (Ford's own V8), now I kind of understand why they don't sell it in US, but why not the Arabian gulf? Show the idiots at Holden how you make a good car that sells. The VE Commodore isn't selling as good as the older ones here.

GOD DAMN...that is a beautiful machine.

fap.gif

I would still rather a V8 though...but I would take which ever is the better car overall.

EDIT: You know...the G8 GT runs a 13.12 quarter STOCK...far better than 13.4...

V8 BABY!

im a huge fan of the G8 and no it will not run a 13.12 stock.

liked he said the car you saw do it was NOT stock

the G8 is very capable of being much faster than 13.12 though

jpd80, when will they test the new F6 :happy feet:

jpd80, when will they test the new F6 :happy feet:

Should be in the next two weeks.

BTW, there was a test done on the FPV Territory Turbo - FPV claims a 0-100 km/h time of 5.9 secs

Will find and attach link HERE -Done. :)

Edited by jpd80

I would scrap my plans for a Mustang in 2 years to get one of these. I would have a blast roasting Mach I's. I wish it was here too. I would rather have the v8. Who cares if its tuned or not. Ford's tunes are ultra conservative and really not indicative of what the engine can do.

While I've always been a fan of Ford AU keeping up the Falcon line, and a fan of the car, up until now, I didn't think that it would be a good fit for the US market. It still likely wouldn't be that great of an overall fit, but, I'm personally very interested in the G6E N/A model. I like the looks, the efficiency is deffinitely there, and, judging by the XTs performance (which it will only improve on with the 6AT) it's certainly not a slow vehicle in any sense of the word. That is a vehicle that I would definitely buy were I not living in a world where I need the ability to toat 5 others and their acouterments around.

Hey P71, they use the base model for Taxis you know......

Ouch...that was low... :cry:

Yeah, I don't know...I was just going by what was said...I cannot confirm either way.

Hey the taxi comment was meant to show the Falcon's versatility,

- dressed for work, the track and businesss.

What I take from all the performance numbers thrown about is that RWD has its place.

A big FWD can't do that, you need AWD which hurts weight and fuel economy.

Turbo RWD Sedan is the go.