2010-ford-4-4-liter-diesel-engine-scooped

RangerM

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much As I would like t see this engine available in the F-150, Expedition, etc - I'm not sure that it would be cost premium. I have to think that Ford would want a minimum of $5,000 for this engine if not more.

At $3-5,000 premium, and no significant fuel economy gain, and diesel fuel still "over priced" (IMHO), Ford is sticking with the 3.7L/Ecoboost V6 and 6.2L for the F150.

Edited by theoldwizard

At $3-5,000 premium, and no significant fuel economy gain, no diesel still "over priced" (IMHO),Ford is sticking with the 3.7L/Ecoboost V6 and 6.2L for the F150.

words cannot express how good that eco engine is in the F-150...I for one will admit to being sceptical upon its release...until i drove it. EVERYONE here NEEDS to go drive one...amazing is an understatement...to me at least, I see NO need for the 6.2....

I agree, but it isn't a total loss as it is going to Land Rover (and I imagine that was part of the plan all along).

I still think we'll see it in Ford / Lincoln products in 2-4 years.

This is an old thread.

I was at a F-150 round-up a few months ago. I got to drive an EB F-150. I can see why the 4.4 got put on the back burner.

The Ford rep told me that the EB was their answer to the demand fot the 4.4 diesel.

Let me tell you, the EB motor ROCKS!! 365hp and 420ft/lb. I owned a 6.0 powerstroke and this felt just as powerful as the 3.5 EB.

In light of the fact that diesel costs more than gas AND given the fact that EB costs (in most cases) about $750, the diesel seem totally useless in the F-150.

This is an old thread.

I was at a F-150 round-up a few months ago. I got to drive an EB F-150. I can see why the 4.4 got put on the back burner.

The Ford rep told me that the EB was their answer to the demand fot the 4.4 diesel.

Let me tell you, the EB motor ROCKS!! 365hp and 420ft/lb. I owned a 6.0 powerstroke and this felt just as powerful as the 3.5 EB.

In light of the fact that diesel costs more than gas AND given the fact that EB costs (in most cases) about $750, the diesel seem totally useless in the F-150.

Completely disagree. The ecoboost engine comes at a 2k premium cost, more than the standard V8 engine and not much less than the diesel engine. The diesel engines offer more in longevity and fuel economy. To get the extra fuel economy with the EB you need taller gears which takes away from its towing capability. I've seen the numbers from the EB in live use and they are better but not as much as many people were lead to believe, we are talking about 2-3 MPG more in most cases over the course of a tank when compared to a V8. When you are using the 3.55 gears or 3.73 gears that MPG advantage shrinks and is nearly gone in the 3.73 gear ratio.

I will say this if Ford built a dieself F-150 I'd buy one tomorrow until then I'll keep waiting and not purchasing.

Completely disagree. The ecoboost engine comes at a 2k premium cost, more than the standard V8 engine and not much less than the diesel engine.

Nope, wrong! The EB is $750 more than the 5.0 V8. A diesel in the Super Duty is $7500+ more than the 6.2L V8.

The diesel engines offer more in longevity and fuel economy. To get the extra fuel economy with the EB you need taller gears which takes away from its towing capability. I've seen the numbers from the EB in live use and they are better but not as much as many people were lead to believe, we are talking about 2-3 MPG more in most cases over the course of a tank when compared to a V8. When you are using the 3.55 gears or 3.73 gears that MPG advantage shrinks and is nearly gone in the 3.73 gear ratio.

I will say this if Ford built a dieself F-150 I'd buy one tomorrow until then I'll keep waiting and not purchasing.

If you can get 10-15% better fuel economy with the EB over the V8 (which is what 2-3 MPG is when comparing to 20 MPG), then that is not minimal...that is actually pretty spectacular in my book. Especially if you compare the EB to the 5.0 since the EB has significantly more torque than the 5.0. If you compare that to a diesel, you have to factor in the extra 10% premium of diesel fuel over gas, so you have to get 20-25% better fuel economy out of the diesel to equal the EB gain.

That being said, I love diesels (I just bought one). But, I just don't see the need in half-tons trucks, especially for the price premium of a diesel engine. In 3/4 ton and up trucks? Yes, I do, since you would typically be pulling heaviner loads, which is where the diesel fuel economy pays for itself. Now, if I had the choice of an EB 5.0 or a 6.7L diesel in a Super Duty with the diesel being a $7k premium over the EB, which would I choose? I really don't know...

Nope, wrong! The EB is $750 more than the 5.0 V8. A diesel in the Super Duty is $7500+ more than the 6.2L V8.

If you can get 10-15% better fuel economy with the EB over the V8 (which is what 2-3 MPG is when comparing to 20 MPG), then that is not minimal...that is actually pretty spectacular in my book. Especially if you compare the EB to the 5.0 since the EB has significantly more torque than the 5.0. If you compare that to a diesel, you have to factor in the extra 10% premium of diesel fuel over gas, so you have to get 20-25% better fuel economy out of the diesel to equal the EB gain.

That being said, I love diesels (I just bought one). But, I just don't see the need in half-tons trucks, especially for the price premium of a diesel engine. In 3/4 ton and up trucks? Yes, I do, since you would typically be pulling heaviner loads, which is where the diesel fuel economy pays for itself. Now, if I had the choice of an EB 5.0 or a 6.7L diesel in a Super Duty with the diesel being a $7k premium over the EB, which would I choose? I really don't know...

Check out the latest Pickup.com thread on here about the F-150 EB and see how much fuel mileage drops on EB with heavy load. Drops 20% more than with 5.0 V8. Many in comments section after article say they prefer the V8 over EB after reading results of test. CHOICE IS GOOD. Ford makes the 4.4L diesel now, so why not stick it in F-150 and Expedition? Some do pull heavy loads often and could use the superior torque and fuel mileage when pulling heavy loads long distances. The EB can barely pull heavy loads 200 miles with full 26 gallon tank. They had to carry extra fuel cannisters on trip to make it. The F-150 is one big truck now and needs a diesel option. I believe a diesel would get around 16mpg with heavy load while EB gets about 7mpg if that. Many will pay thousands more for fancy trim levels and not bat an eye, so why not thousands more for diesel and much better fuel mileage when pulling heavy load like travel trailer or whatever?

Check out the latest Pickup.com thread on here about the F-150 EB and see how much fuel mileage drops on EB with heavy load. Drops 20% more than with 5.0 V8. Many in comments section after article say they prefer the V8 over EB after reading results of test. CHOICE IS GOOD. Ford makes the 4.4L diesel now, so why not stick it in F-150 and Expedition? Some do pull heavy loads often and could use the superior torque and fuel mileage when pulling heavy loads long distances. The EB can barely pull heavy loads 200 miles with full 26 gallon tank. They had to carry extra fuel cannisters on trip to make it. The F-150 is one big truck now and needs a diesel option. I believe a diesel would get around 16mpg with heavy load while EB gets about 7mpg if that. Many will pay thousands more for fancy trim levels and not bat an eye, so why not thousands more for diesel and much better fuel mileage when pulling heavy load like travel trailer or whatever?

Those pulling 'heavy' loads often are doing it with Super Duty trucks, which is what they should be doing. Will an F150 tow 9,000 or even 11,000 lbs? Definitely. Would I want to use an F150 if doing it often? Nope, and it's not because it is not available with a diesel either. Why not just slap the 4.4L in the Ranger and tow 12k lbs with it?

And 16MPG out of a diesel with today's emissions regs, while towing heavy? What is your definition of 'heavy'? 10k lbs? 16 MPG with that load is a dream...my Super Duty sees about 17 MPG...empty at a steady 65. I'm sure a 4.4 would do quite a bit better, but not 16 MPG loaded 'heavy'.

• 3 weeks later...

The EB is a good engine for someone who drives the truck and is a weekend warrior, for that it does ok. It has good pulling power but as you mentioned the MPG drops off heavily when hauling much weight. I know several people with them and they like them overall but they were hoping for more MPG when towing as they didn't expect that large of a drop off. The Diesel engine is the only way to go when hauling heavy loads.

The EB is a good engine for someone who drives the truck and is a weekend warrior, for that it does ok. It has good pulling power but as you mentioned the MPG drops off heavily when hauling much weight. I know several people with them and they like them overall but they were hoping for more MPG when towing as they didn't expect that large of a drop off. The Diesel engine is the only way to go when hauling heavy loads.

I bet the towing MPG only drops off because it's so hard to keep your foot off the accelerator.