Ford to build 30 pct more of its Focus small cars this year

01FOCI

yea, read about that some weeks ago when the sales numbers where reported on Edmunds.com. Not all that surprising considering the cost of gas and every day living in general. I even though I love Ford and the Focus whats really selling the car is the car's value and SYNC. Focus's that have that piece of technology sell faster than ones that dont...and most SE's come with it and of course is standard on the SES.

go looking on Edmunds.com I bet you'll find it sooner or later...think it might be on AutoObserver blog

"Sync debuted on Focus, Fusion, Taurus, Edge, Taurus X, Explorer, and Sport Trac; Mercury Milan, Sable and Mountaineer; and Lincoln MKX and MKZ. It is standard on higher-end vehicles and a $395 option on others. With the Focus, for example, Sync isn’t offered on the entry-level S version, is optional on the mid-level SE, half of buyers of which choose to include Sync; and standard on the highest-end SEL version, which has accounted for about 30 percent of all Focus sales since last fall."

"For those reasons and others, Ford believes Focus and Sync are helping it get “back in the game” with younger consumers, said Jim Farley, group vice president of marketing and communications. Buyers aged 16 to 35 accounted for 32 percent of retail sales for the 2008 Focus compared with 28 percent of the previous model, through February."

sorce: Krebs, Michelle. AutoObserver.com. edmunds.com 2008

http://www.autoobserver.com/2008/04/ford-microsoft.html

• 2 weeks later...
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080415/ford_focus.html?.v=2

"Ford Motor Co. says it will increase production of its Focus small car by 30 percent this year to meet higher demand."

I was not to sure about the new design, but everyone likes it!

If it does this well with the addition of a little electronic gimmick, imagine how well it will sell when it finally gets a thorough re-design with a "kinetic" design theme and good interior...

I'm still digusted with the fact that they axed the hatch and replaced it with a 2-door sedan. That's right-- 2-door SEDAN. A coupe would have shorter overhangs and a raked greenhouse. The only difference between the 2-door and the 4-door is just simply the number of doors.

Even the frickin' Cobalt is more of a proper coupe than this awkward thing...

If it does this well with the addition of a little electronic gimmick, imagine how well it will sell when it finally gets a thorough re-design with a "kinetic" design theme and good interior...

That's the sad thing about the new Focus. Sales are up solely because of a new body style (even a poorly executed one) and the astronomical price of gas.

If the 2008 redesign had been better, Ford would not be increasing Focus production by 30%, they'd be doubling it. It's just another lost opportunity.

That's the sad thing about the new Focus. Sales are up solely because of a new body style (even a poorly executed one) and the astronomical price of gas.

If the 2008 redesign had been better, Ford would not be increasing Focus production by 30%, they'd be doubling it. It's just another lost opportunity.

Would you like to supply some proof of any of this. Why are the Corolla and Cobalt down.

The 2008 Corolla is a five year old design.

The 2008 Cobalt is a four year old design.

09_corolla_6.jpg

This is what they sell now, along with the 08 Corolla. 09 is brand new. The Focus is gaining sales and market share while shrinking fleet numbers. I'm sorry, but there's no bad way to spin it. People really do like the looks outside of those on internet forums.

Edited by suv_guy_19

This is what they sell now, along with the 08 Corolla. 09 is brand new. The Focus is gaining sales and market share while shrinking fleet numbers. I'm sorry, but there's no bad way to spin it. People really do like the looks outside of those on internet forums.

Sales numbers are for the 2008 Corolla. The numbers for the 2009 Corolla aren't in yet. I notice no mention was made of the Honda Civic or C1 Focus-based Mazda3. Both have been in production for at least a couple of years and both are doing quite well with little or no sales incentives.

Regardless, it remains that the North American 2008 Ford Focus is selling well now solely because:

1. It's 'new', at least in appearance, since the chassis/engine is from the old, C170 Focus which was introduced in 1999. People bought Pontiac Azteks when they were new, too.
  2. It's cheap, since Ford almost immediately began ladling on the incentives. Currently, Ford's incentives on the 2008 Focus are already up to those on the remaining 2007 Focus which had been in production for nine years. I don't remember $2500 rebates on the 2000 Ford Focus when they were first introduced (and gas was cheap back then). Believe me, if there were $2500 rebates on 2009 Corollas, demand would quickly outstrip supply. From what I've seen, there are dozens of Focuses sitting on Ford lots.
  3. Gas is prohibitively expensive, making anything that's cheap and gets good gas mileage easy to sell.

When the newness of the awkward appearance wears off and/or the price of gas goes down, so, too, will the sales 'success' of the 2008 Focus plummet, while sales of much better small cars (like the Corolla) will continue to hold steady.

It's also worth mentioning that the Corolla lineup is limited to a single 4-door sedan (whereas the Focus has a coupe in addition to the sedan). Including Toyota's other small cars in the same market demographic as the Focus (Yaris, Scion Tc) alters the sales' picture quite a bit.

In short, the 2008 Focus is craptacular, but when craptacular is cheap, gets good gas mileage, and gas is expensive, even craptacular is going to sell well.

Edited by ruteger

Sales numbers are for the 2008 Corolla. The numbers for the 2009 Corolla aren't in yet. I notice no mention was made of the Honda Civic or C1 Focus-based Mazda3. Both have been in production for at least a couple of years and both are doing quite well with little or no sales incentives.

Regardless, it remains that the North American 2008 Ford Focus is selling well now solely because:

1. It's 'new', at least in appearance, since the chassis/engine is from the old, C170 Focus which was introduced in 1999. People bought Pontiac Azteks when they were new, too.
  2. It's cheap, since Ford almost immediately began ladling on the incentives. Currently, Ford's incentives on the 2008 Focus are already up to those on the remaining 2007 Focus which had been in production for nine years. I don't remember $2500 rebates on the 2000 Ford Focus when they were first introduced (and gas was cheap back then). Believe me, if there were $2500 rebates on 2009 Corollas, demand would quickly outstrip supply. From what I've seen, there are dozens of Focuses sitting on Ford lots.
  3. Gas is prohibitively expensive, making anything that's cheap and gets good gas mileage easy to sell.

When the newness of the awkward appearance wears off and/or the price of gas goes down, so, too, will the sales 'success' of the 2008 Focus plummet, while sales of much better small cars (like the Corolla) will continue to hold steady.

It's also worth mentioning that the Corolla lineup is limited to a single 4-door sedan (whereas the Focus has a coupe in addition to the sedan). Including Toyota's other small cars in the same market demographic as the Focus (Yaris, Scion Tc) alters the sales' picture quite a bit.

In short, the 2008 Focus is craptacular, but when craptacular is cheap, gets good gas mileage, and gas is expensive, even craptacular is going to sell well.

Only time will tell.

Well, spin it anyway you want, but the fan boy "know it alls" were dead wrong, when they said the 08 would flop, just because they 'know it all'. Love when these nerds get proved wrong and then say, 'well "sales would be up 50% if I liked the looks more" :P Or 'well its cheap'. No, you were off the mark thinking your personal taste is universal.

Oh and news flash, gas prices will not come down again! Also, buyers of 08's like their cars and spread good word of mouth. And when buyers are supposedly "over" this gen Focus, it will be the time when the new C1 based car is out in 2-3 years. So bite into that.

Oh if we are going to boost Toyota's #'s by adding Scion, etc . Let's then add Mazda's small cars into Ford's #'s, too then. Hey, Yaris and Scion use different platforms, so the Mazda 3 and Focus should be combined. Add in the new Fiesta coming and more #'s to add at that!

Edited by 630land

And yet, over at focusfanatics.com (a place where they supposedly like the Focus), due to the endless and overwhelmingly negative comments on the 2008 Focus, the moderators have had to adopt a get-tough policy where any negative posts about it result in the poster being banned and/or the thread locked. In fact, a thread on the very topic of the sales 'success' of the 2008 Focus had to be locked. Now, there aren't any posts about the 2008 Focus at all. Maybe BON moderators should adopt a similiar policy.

No, wait, that would mean no posts about the 2008 Focus over here, too. Hey, it's a car, it's cheap, and it gets decent gas mileage. I guess that's enough when gas is >$3.50/gal. Kind of reminds me of the previous time gas was prohibitively expensive and they used to literally give cheap cars away if you bought an expensive, gas-guzzling land barge at full price from a dealer. I have no doubt that there will be "Buy a Funk Master Flex Expedition, get a free Focus" deals soon enough.

Edited by ruteger

And yet, over at focusfanatics.com (a place where they supposedly like the Focus), due to the endless and overwhelmingly negative comments on the 2008 Focus, the moderators have had to adopt a get-tough policy where any negative posts about it result in the poster being banned and/or the thread locked. In fact, a thread on the very topic of the sales 'success' of the 2008 Focus had to be locked. Now, there aren't any posts about the 2008 Focus at all. Maybe BON moderators should adopt a similiar policy.

No, wait, that would mean no posts about the 2008 Focus over here, too. Hey, it's a car, it's cheap, and it gets decent gas mileage. I guess that's enough nowadays.

:rolleyes:

As reported by Automotive News, sales increases from Same Period Last Year (SPLY) for April:

Toyota Prius......66.6%

Toyota Yaris......58.1%

Honda Fit...........54.1%

Ford Focus.........43.5%

Hyundai Accent..41.0%

It's worth noting that the only freshly 'redesigned' vehicle on the list, the vehicle with the biggest discounts, and the only one that a large portion of its sales is to rental car companies is the Focus.

As reported by Automotive News, sales increases from Same Period Last Year (SPLY) for April:

Toyota Prius......66.6%

Toyota Yaris......58.1%

Ford Focus.........43.5%

Hyundai Accent..41.0%

It's worth noting that the only freshly 'redesigned' vehicle on the list, the vehicle with the biggest discounts, and the only one that a large portion of its sales is to rental car companies is the Focus.

Focus retail sales were up 88% There were almost no fleet sales (let alone to rental companies) last month.

And your source is?

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=28166

If retail sales were up 88% and overall sales were only up by 40 something, that means that its selling a much higher retail percentage than before and a lower fleet percentage. Your personal car has very high fleet numbers by the way, what with its use as a taxi.

Edited by suv_guy_19

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=28166

If retail sales were up 88% and overall sales were only up by 40 something, that means that its selling a much higher retail percentage than before and a lower fleet percentage. Your personal car has very high fleet numbers by the way, what with its use as a taxi.

A Ford Media site? I think I'll get data from a more unbiased source, thanks. I'd be interested in knowing exactly where (and for how long) the Prius is being used within the continental US as a taxi, as well (preferably from an unimpeachable source). Even if true, I would be highly dubious that the numbers are anywhere close to the fleet sales percentage of total Focus sales.

BTW, your statement "There were almost no fleet sales (let alone to rental companies) last month" would seem to be negated by this little blurb at the end of your source:

"Note: The sales data included in this release and the accompanying tables are based largely on data reported by dealers representing their sales to retail and
fleet
customers."

I've read nothing to dispel the notion that the reasons the 2008 Ford Focus is selling well have little to do with the awkward redesign. I suspect that the old model would have sold just as well as the new one, given the same circumstances, i.e., skyrocketing gas prices and big discounts.

A Ford Media site? I think I'll get data from a more unbiased source, thanks. I'd be interested in knowing exactly where (and for how long) the Prius is being used within the continental US as a taxi, as well (preferably from an unimpeachable source). Even if true, I would be highly dubious that the numbers are anywhere close to the fleet sales percentage of total Focus sales.

BTW, your statement "There were almost no fleet sales (let alone to rental companies) last month" would seem to be negated by this little blurb at the end of your source:

"Note: The sales data included in this release and the accompanying tables are based largely on data reported by dealers representing their sales to retail and
fleet
customers."

I've read nothing to dispel the notion that the reasons the 2008 Ford Focus is selling well have little to do with the awkward redesign. I suspect that the old model would have sold just as well as the new one, given the same circumstances, i.e., skyrocketing gas prices and big discounts.

Yeah, because Ford Media is lying. I'm not even replying anymore, its not worth it. Arguing with a Prius owner about cars....

fleet
customers."

You are forgetting one important FACT in your spin. Focus has SYNC and many retail shoppers looking at small cars are buying Focus for one important reason....SYNC. Around here, very few Focuses sit on lot with SYNC. Most are SE's without SYNC. The SES has a higher transaction price and another reason why Focus transaction prices are way up on 2008 model.

You also forget that Toyota includes Matrix sales into Corolla sales. A Matrix is not a Corolla. Take Matrix out and Focus sales are right up there with Corolla. The new Corolla has not garnered great reviews, and Focus sales have exploded. Around here again, Corollas' are common sight on rental car lots. Get your facts straight before trolling on here.

Toyota Prius......66.6%

Toyota Yaris......58.1%

Ford Focus.........43.5%

Hyundai Accent..41.0%

Are you kidding? May I ask what KIND of a moron you are?

The Yaris, Fit, and Accent are a class smaller in size. Plus, the Yaris and Fit were barely hitting the market a year ago -- obviously their sales are going to be up a large percentage. And the Prius is a frickin' hybrid - you're comparing its sales to the Focus WHY?. Furthermore, Ford's been cutting way back on rental sales of the Focus -- retail sales were up 88%.

fleet
customers."

Wow, you are an idiot. Billion dollar investment banks who have hundreds of millions of dollars invested in Ford go over their sales and financial releases with a fine toothed comb, constantly comparing them to independently verifiable sources. If Ford's executives lie in an official public statement, they would be out of a job and facing jail time faster than you can say "web troll".

Real people like the new design. It's only trolls and car connoisseurs who diss it -- the automotive equivalent of "Mmm the '68 Chateou Latour was too dry".

For the first half of 2007, the Focus averaged 26.5% fleet sales. Let's assume that number applied equally to every month (not true, but the best we have to work with). Last year in April, Ford sold 16,626 Focuses. That means retail sales were 73.5% of that, or 12,220 units. Retail sales were up 88%, meaning Ford made 22,974 retail sales this april. That would mean only 876 units went to fleet sales, or 3.6% of sales.

You are forgetting one important FACT in your spin. Focus has SYNC and many retail shoppers looking at small cars are buying Focus for one important reason....SYNC. Around here, very few Focuses sit on lot with SYNC. Most are SE's without SYNC. The SES has a higher transaction price and another reason why Focus transaction prices are way up on 2008 model.

I'm sure that SYNC helped with a few Focus sales. It was a clever gamble by Ford which paid off, unlike similiar gimmicky options like 'Ambient Lighting' (lit cupholders that the color can be changed? - yeah, that's a useful option) and MyColor. But it's highly unlikely that SYNC has had much impact on the decision for many of the new '08 Focus purchases. It's also worth noting that very soon, SYNC will not be the exclusive domain of Ford. However, SYNC becoming widely available on other manufacturer's vehicle will have relatively little (if any) impact on Focus sales as other, substantially more critical factors which have little to do with the design of the car, those simply being high gas prices and big discounts.

You also forget that Toyota includes Matrix sales into Corolla sales. A Matrix is not a Corolla. Take Matrix out and Focus sales are right up there with Corolla. The new Corolla has not garnered great reviews, and Focus sales have exploded. Around here again, Corollas' are common sight on rental car lots. Get your facts straight before trolling on here.

I'm quite comfortable with my facts, thank you. It's worth noting that there is no 2-door version of the Corolla to include with Toyota sales, either, whereas Focus sales figues do not exclude the 2-door model.

Regardless, the Matrix is considered to be the sporty hatchback/wagon counterpart of the Corolla (source: Wikipedia). Even the most rudimentary research would reveal that both the Toyota Matrix (and its twin, the Pontiac Vibe) utilize the Corolla chassis and drivetrain. It's not unlike the Chevrolet (Geo) Prizm (Nova) which were, for all intents and purposes, pure Toyota Corolla. Both were actually built side-by-side at the same NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA, the same as the current Toyota Corolla and Pontiac Vibe.

As to the 'fact' that "Corollas are [a] common sight on rental car lots", my experience has been exactly the opposite. Whenever I've had to rent a car, although the Corolla might be listed, there are never any available. I end up with whatever's left that no one else wanted and, not surprisingly, it's invariably some domestic product (with the occasional Hyundai/Kia thrown in). Although I will admit that the last car I rented was a relatively new Ford Fusion and it was good enough.

Of course, the Ford Fusion is based on the Mazda6, too...

Edited by ruteger