Toyoder buying back 95-2000 Tacomas with BAD frames

Toyoder is sending letters out to 95-00 Tacoma owners, asking them to come in for an inspection. If a rubber mallet will pass through the frame rail in any spot, they seize the vehicle, put the customer in a rental, and pay up to 150% of the truck's value to the customer.

Some are buying another Toyoder with their money...but most are hightailing it to the competition.

Ohhhh.....but if you hear their commercials... their trucks are "changing it all." HAHAHA

Watch Rick Titus teach you the Truth About Trucks, Toyota.

http://www.thegmsource.com/index.php?categ...2_articleid=915

PS: Nissan and Toyota owners are trading in their cars for the 2008 Malibu. Now I'm NOT a Chevy fan, but I'm proud to see the Big Three are fighting back. BUY AMERICAN!

Well don't think this problem will make any Toyota owner think any different about their beloved company...

Read some of these comments...

http://blog.toyota.com/2008/03/living-up-to-ou.html

Sure a few are a little upset, but even if they are upset they turn around and say they love Toyota and will continue buying no matter what.

Here is a sample comment for you...

"Thank you Toyota this is sweet. My 1998 Tacoma is almost touching the ground betweent the bed and the cab. Two big cracks in it and completely rotted. This is great Thank you Toyota!!!"

Ok now I need to go puke...

Edited by 2005Explorer

"I am a happy owner of a 1996 Tacoma...this is one of the reasons why I feel confident when I buy a Toyota."

WTF?!?!?!?!?

Feel confident about what? That the truck might break in half? Maybe Im a little jaded, being out here in SoCal where frame rot is NOT an issue, but really now people! Your 10 year old truck might rot and break in half and you would seriously tell me you would buy another one????

What about the thousands that have already had to eat it and junk their trucks? Do they get money too or is it just new problems only?

Ill just sum it up with this one... ..

If Ford was in the same situation and buying back the trucks the same way. _______________?

Edited by Sixt9coug

"This is great news, but hopefully extended to Canada where we definitely use salt in our harsh conditions.

I just noticed TONIGHT while washing my 98 Tacoma 4x4 TRD that my frame is completely split above the right rear wheel. I drove it home, showed my wife and was going to weld a plate over it tonight. She suggested I search online to see if anyone else has issues so Toyota might help. Sure glad I did (I hate it when she's right)

This is my 2nd Toyota 4x4. In 1983 I bought a new SR5 Truck with the "never-kill-it" 22R engine. With 476,000kms (300,000miles) and still working like a top, I traded it on my new 1998. My 98 doesn't have a spot of rust on it and works as well as the day it was bought with 257,000kms. I sure hope you can fix it and that Canada is included. I haven't received a letter yet. Fingers are crossed

"

Ahem.... "My 98 doesn't have a spot of rust on it and works as well as the day it was bought with 257,000kms"

"I just noticed TONIGHT while washing my 98 Tacoma 4x4 TRD that my frame is completely split above the right rear "

So.... it doesnt have a spot of rust, but the frame has cracked because of rust???

Isnt that like saying "the car runs great except for the giant crack in the engine block"

sheesh. some people's kids.

If Ford was in the same situation and buying back the trucks the same way. _______________?

It would be the end of Ford Motor Company. :titanic:

I honestly think that Toyota is now in the position to do any damn thing they want and people will keep coming back no matter what. The level of customer loyalty is so high that Toyota appears to be set for world domination no matter what for the next 100 years. Ford can't steal away customers like that no matter how great their products are. It's sad, but the fact remains that Americans hate anything made or designed in America.

and to think that some people think there are Ford :cheerleader: around here...

THE BIG TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION HAS SPOKEN TO IT'S PEOPLE

:bowdown:

You mean like the big safety recall of the last couple years that netted nearly 2 million vehicles? (of approximately the same vintage as the Tacos)

Well, of course, that one could easily be made safe, again, just by unplugging the bad part, so no buy-back.

You mean like the big safety recall of the last couple years that netted nearly 2 million vehicles? (of approximately the same vintage as the Tacos)

Well, of course, that one could easily be made safe, again, just by unplugging the bad part, so no buy-back.

good thing Ford wasnt drug across the coals for that one.

Again...at least Toyota is manning up to their problem. From another site:

Well, so far guys here at work are 2 for 2. Two guys have had the inspection done on their trucks and they are in the process of being bought back. They are both driving loaner Corollas and should be getting their checks next week. 2 more guys have appointments to get theirs inspected.

Guy No. 1 had a 1997 bare bones extended cab 2wd in very rough shape. His frame rot was pretty damn bad I guess. Last time he washed it was in the 1990s. Rot on the hood and around the windshield, trashed interior, 140,000 miles, a broken leaf spring, muffler held up with wire, etc. This thing was probably barely worth $2,000 as a trade in. However Kelly Blue Book "Excellent" retail price is over $6,000. That X 1.5 means he's getting about $9,000 for the pile of shit.....incredible. On top of that he'll get an additional $1,000 off a new Tacoma, but he's not sure yet what he wants. He has been on the fence for months about trading it in to get a new larger truck, before this came along....he's on cloud freaking nine right now.

Guy No2 has a 1999 extended cab SR5 4X4 4-banger with over 180K on the clock and his check should be for about $12,000. Imagine that......you pay $22,000 for a truck, get 9 years of flawless use out of it, and then they buy it back from you for $12,000. His just had a couple of small holes.

Yeah...I am sure the Tacoma owners are steaming...rolleyes2.gif

The funny part is the $700.00 is too much for Ford...retard.gif

Have you people seen the morons driving these Turdyota's? They are people that don't knowjack shit about cars, they just buy Turdyota's because they hear they are reliable. They are always the morons driving 40mph down the freeway, pulling out in front of you in an intersection, driving off the side of the road, not being able to figure out how to park, slamming on the brakes for no reason, etc, etc, etc...

Toyota's are driven by the mindless masses, people who can't think for themselves..

That wretched company should be banned from this continent!!

and what about the guys out the money because they junked the car 10 years ago? thats alot more than $700 they are out.

Hell, if the frames didnt rust in the first place, they probably wouldnt have to buy a new truck to replace it. But now that they DID rust, they are losing their vehicle and getting a check for lets say $9K like in the article. I bet half of these idiots are just gonna go out and buy a new Toyota.

Hey, their 15 year old truck rotted out, Toyota bought it back and now they got stuck with a car payment.

Or

Hey their truck rotted out prematurely, they junked it and now they are left holding their chapped ass.

Edited by Sixt9coug

Amazing. The sheep actually commend Toyota for their actions instead of blasting them for producing the pieces of shit that are rotting to pieces. Does Toyota have to burn their families before they will think poorly of them...?

Amazing. The sheep actually commend Toyota for their actions instead of blasting them for producing the pieces of shit that are rotting to pieces. Does Toyota have to burn their families before they will think poorly of them...?

Actually burning people is Ford's department....see the above mention of the cruise control recall. :happy feet: Seriously what do you think Ford or GM would do if they were in this same situation? Maybe a $2000.00 credit towards a new truck? They sure as hell wouldnt buy them back for 1.5x blue book! You would be S.O.L.

Actually burning people is Ford's department....see the above mention of the cruise control recall. :happy feet: Seriously what do you think Ford or GM would do if they were in this same situation? Maybe a $2000.00 credit towards a new truck? They sure as hell wouldnt buy them back for 1.5x blue book! You would be S.O.L.

Yeah, but do you know what the punch line is? This isn't Ford, this isn't GM, this isn't even Dodge. This is the company that claims to be the bastion of quality. Real quality is when your truck rusts out from under you isn't it? I have a 41 year old Ford that I drive every day that hasn't been restored and has no rust problems. There is a little surface rust when I get a paint chip but that's easily taken care of. Show me a 41 year old Toyota that is driven daily that hasn't been restored without major rust. I have never seen one. On the other hand my car isn't that rare around here.

Well, I have mixed feelings about this issue.

1) I applaud Toyota for doing this. Not sure many manufacturers of any product would do such a thing as purchase the product back for 150% of its current value. Now I do think Toyota needs to conduct some better R&D on their frames to insure this doesn't happen again, but at least they are taking care of their problem. Now I wonder if Toyota will end up taking a loss or not on this issue. If the majority of people have the feelings that were posted on this Toyota site and end up purchasing a new Toyota, then I see Toyota as making an overall profit or taking a slight loss from the ordeal. Now if most the people that have their Tacomas bought back end up jumping ship (like most the people I'v e spoken in regards to this), then I would see this as a huge loss for Toyota financially but would still gain them credability for issuing the recall in the first place.

2) How come there are no people upset on this Toyota site regarding the quality of the Tacoma? Everyone is applauding Toyota for the move they made, which is good that they stand behind their product, but not one person bashed or questioned the quality of the truck. Not one person complained about all the $$ they paid. Heck, if I was in the situation, I'd have second thoughts about purchasing another Toyota. Sure they are taking care of the issue, but who's to say something similar won't happen again in the future? Just like all those people who jumped ship from Ford regarding the CC recalls. Many people were/are worried something similar will happen again with Ford, but not Toyota. Also, if your Tacoma passes inspection today, who's not to say that the truck wouldn't fail inspection in a year from now. Will Toyota still buy back the truck at that time and at 150% of value? With the recalls increasing for Toyota and all the problems they've had with the new Tundra & V6/6spd Camry, this should make people second guess purchasing another Toyota. Then again, I do conduct plenty of research before purchasing any vehicle, not just blindly purchase a product based on it's name.

So I'm not bashing Toyota for what they are doing, this is a good thing that Ford should have done with the CC switch. Now I am bashing Toyota for their product (just like many have bashed Ford regarding the CC recall) and their blind fans that aren't taking every aspect into account. Sure they'll get their old rusted Tacoma bought back and have a huge down payment on their new vehicle, but now they'll have a car payment, have to pay more/higher tax, title & licensing fees, most likely pay higher insurance rates and "potentially" have a similar problem occur again.

Lastly, is this an actual recall or just a service being provided by Toyota? If it is not a recall, then there are no true guidelines on what Toyota does. Is everyone going to get a fair shake? Will Toyota discontiunue this service at some point? I know it's stated that they base price on NADA, but will the dealerships actually provide accurate figures to buy back customers? Simply too many if's that could potentially hurt the consumer.

Rant over.

2) How come there are no people upset on this Toyota site regarding the quality of the Tacoma? Everyone is applauding Toyota for the move they made, which is good that they stand behind their product, but not one person bashed or questioned the quality of the truck. Not one person complained about all the $$ they paid. Heck, if I was in the situation, I'd have second thoughts about purchasing another Toyota. Sure they are taking care of the issue, but who's to say something similar won't happen again in the future? Just like all those people who jumped ship from Ford regarding the CC recalls. Many people were/are worried something similar will happen again with Ford, but not Toyota. Also, if your Tacoma passes inspection today, who's not to say that the truck wouldn't fail inspection in a year from now. Will Toyota still buy back the truck at that time and at 150% of value? With the recalls increasing for Toyota and all the problems they've had with the new Tundra & V6/6spd Camry, this should make people second guess purchasing another Toyota. Then again, I do conduct plenty of research before purchasing any vehicle, not just blindly purchase a product based on it's name.

Well it appears to be a Toyota Corporate message board so maybe it is well moderated and they just delete any post that is too negative.

Manning UP?? You mean getting those huge liabilities off the road before it becomes a multi-million dollar lawsuit??

Well it appears to be a Toyota Corporate message board so maybe it is well moderated and they just delete any post that is too negative.

That's what I was thinking. Anything negative was/has been removed. Personally, I wouldn't put it past Toyota.

Thats funny, a 1996 Toyota rusts to the point it could practically split in half, and my 1995 F-150 hasn't a spot of rust on it. Yet, the Toyota owners are adamant they bought the better truck...

Uh...you would be too...

you pay $22,000 for a truck, get 9 years of flawless use out of it, and then they buy it back from you for $12,000.

You couldn't get 12K for a 1995 F-150 today if it was MINT.

Have you people seen the morons driving these Turdyota's? They are people that don't knowjack shit about cars, they just buy Turdyota's because they hear they are reliable. They are always the morons driving 40mph down the freeway, pulling out in front of you in an intersection, driving off the side of the road, not being able to figure out how to park, slamming on the brakes for no reason, etc, etc, etc...

Toyota's are driven by the mindless masses, people who can't think for themselves..

That wretched company should be banned from this continent!!

Exactly! And the kind of people who drive Toyotas are the same ones who eat grass, shop at Whole Foods, and listen to NPR.

Thats funny, a 1996 Toyota rusts to the point it could practically split in half, and my 1995 F-150 hasn't a spot of rust on it. Yet, the Toyota owners are adamant they bought the better truck...

Shit... Any Ford vehicle car or truck (Lincoln and Mercury) that is at least 30 years old can still outlive these

Toyota pieces of shit any day of the week!