Ford Motor Company: April 2008 Sales Figures

igor

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those covers are there to reduce NVH

Reduce NVH to whom? The guy bungee corded to your hood?

And if they actually have a noticable affect on NVH inside the car, that's even more reason Ford should be using them.

Edited by NickF1011

how the fuck so? It transverse mounting seems like the perfect way of sending power to the front wheels ...

It's when you have to work on the back bank of cylinders. For example, some Nissan V-6's have the habit of breaking the exhaust manifold studs. Getting at the back bank of cylinders is a sumbitch. Then there's changing the plugs.

Sideways placement can result in a contraint on the maximum turning angle of the front wheels, which can make parking awkward. Compare a mid 80's Civic with a Chevette for parking ability. With a 2dr Chevette, I could stuff it into parking spaces maybe 6-8" longer than the car, because those wheels would really turn.

It also can lead to design compromises in engine design, like the narrow bore-spacing in the mods.

An indication of the importance of these considerations is the switch-over by Audi, to a longitudinal engine placement in all their front-engine sleds. The downside is that transmissions tend to get more complex with FWD/AWD.

Edited by Edstock

Ed that is all true and fair, but it still does not change the fact that it makes not sense to orient your engine longitudinally when powering front wheels.

It adds yet another transfer point to break and reduce efficiency ... and is useless ..

People can argue FWD v. RWD all they want (it will never EVER end), but if you have FWD, longitudinal engine makes ZERO sense. I am not convinced it makes sense on FWD based AWD cars, but that is another issue ... I accept is .. but on a FWD car - longitudinal mounting is simply stupid it takes up more space, adds parts and reduces efficiency .. all in the name of better turning radius? With the FWD's shorter wheelbase (And generally smaller size) this is usually not an issue (for exceptions see US Spec Mazda6 which has incredibly large turning radius due to its V6 shoehorned into a narrow vehicle. )

Igor

It adds yet another transfer point to break and reduce efficiency ... and is useless ..

Yes indeed. It's probably why both Honda and Volvo resisted using V-type engines, until the competition forced them to do so, and in Volvo's case, they went to an I-6: one cylinder head, one exhaust manifold and a better transmission layout.

Yes indeed. It's probably why both Honda and Volvo resisted using V-type engines, until the competition forced them to do so, and in Volvo's case, they went to an I-6: one cylinder head, one exhaust manifold and a better transmission layout.

That too and more distance between engine an firewall in a crash.

Also, a Short I-6 only needs one turbo.

Reduce NVH to whom? The guy bungee corded to your hood?

And if they actually have a noticable affect on NVH inside the car, that's even more reason Ford should be using them.

Well, the engine =is= connected to the rest of the car.

I recall reading a Ford flack going on about how the plastic cover reduces the wind noise that comes from air that gets under the hood of the car. I also found a 2003 Expy press release talking about how its engine cover got rid of valvetrain noise.

For example, a new acoustic engine cover helps to eliminate high-frequency valve gear and induction sounds.

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_di...&make_id=92

Also, as it turns out, the 5.4L block was redesigned for 2003.

Only if you 1) end up volunteering to 'adopt a highway', 2) are a grunt working for the state's DOT, or 3) have been 'sentenced to serve'.

Don't forget the crews that mow along the highways, they hate them> When that spinning blade hit's one, it explodes. I wonder if they will start wearing Haz-Mat suits.

In a nutshell, sales of little crapwagon cars are up, and everything else is down. With gasoline approaching $4 a gallon, people are settling for lesser vehicles.

63 percent of Ford vehicles sold in April were cars or car-like crossover vehicles, while less than 38 percent were trucks or SUVs -- the smallest percentage in more than a decade.

Only if you 1) end up volunteering to 'adopt a highway', 2) are a grunt working for the state's DOT, or 3) have been 'sentenced to serve'.

Sorry, I though you meant the truckers were tossing them out the window at cars.....

Edited by jpd80

63 percent of Ford vehicles sold in April were cars or car-like crossover vehicles, while less than 38 percent were trucks or SUVs -- the smallest percentage in more than a decade.

And guess where the money is...:hysterical:

Can we ree-name Ford "Titanic" yet"...or is it too early?