April 2008 Sales: Compact Cars

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the same as other C1 Plants around the world, the US will build volume versions and import specials.

Vehicles like Cabriolet, ST Sports and even C-Max may be imported or built at another NA plant.

Australia is also to stamp and build C1 Focus then so maybe some specials sourced from there.

Edited by jpd80

Tough crowd.

The Focus sells strongly, gets good media reviews and qualty reports yet some still

don't consider it good enough - lofty ideals for a budget priced car?

I have heard great reviews from people that have bought the new Focus and have driven it for a while. Why can't people just admit that we might have a winner and be glad for Ford Motor and Wayne Assy. We are working every Sat. and will be going on 10 hours to keep up.

I saw a blue 08 Focus tonight. It had the chrome vents, and to be honest, looked....horrible. That is one ugly, gaudy car.

BUT....all that matters is that it is selling, and selling well. Kudos have to go to Ford for this hideous refresh...because it IS selling. Let's hope the Flex (which is growing a bit on me) has similar success.

As amazing as it is to me (and a few others I'm sure) when it comes with this Focus refresh, Ford did something right.

I have heard great reviews from people that have bought the new Focus and have driven it for a while. Why can't people just admit that we might have a winner and be glad for Ford Motor and Wayne Assy. We are working every Sat. and will be going on 10 hours to keep up.

How many Foci are you guys currently building a week?

As amazing as it is to me (and a few others I'm sure) when it comes with this Focus refresh, Ford did something right.

I be the first one to admit that I wasn't expecting the 08 Focus to be doing this well, but like it was said before, it was the right car at the right time for Ford. Plus I think I'm in the minority on here saying I like the side vent on the 08 Focus :P

It's a reminder that sales don't necessarily mean a car is great or desirable, that's all.

I agree. Nobody wants a small car outside of maybe the hippies who live in Bezerkely and San Francisco. If they did the SUV craze would never have happened.

People are buying the Focus, etc. out of necessity, same as the Vega and Pinto and Mustang II were so popular in the '70's. Thankfully, it appears Ford had the foresight to be ready this time around with a car that kind of makes the sacrifice of owning a small car fun whose quality at this point seems secure. :shades:

Tho I just still hate that faux side scoop!

Edited by 96 Pony

I agree. Nobody wants a small car outside of maybe the hippies who live in Bezerkely and San Francisco. If they did the SUV craze would never have happened.

Lots of people like small cars - they think big cars are unwieldy. The SUV craze only happened because most people are brainless fad-followers who are afraid of looking "uncool" or "wimpy".

I saw a blue 08 Focus tonight. It had the chrome vents, and to be honest, looked....horrible. That is one ugly, gaudy car.

I agree - the vents look terrible on light blue. It's easier the darker the color - black, blue, kind of the vapor silver. The frost silver and white (very generic light colors) kind of get away with it. I haven't seen any on the kiwi green yet - although I imagine it would be as hideous as the light blue.

However, my taste doesn't count when others are buying, and I can't deny that 88% retail growth is just an unadulterated hit. It's good to hear the transaction price is so high as well. That might mean that Ford's actually making money on them!

Any engine/tranny/mileage improvements coming next year? Navigation?

Lots of people like small cars - they think big cars are unwieldy. The SUV craze only happened because most people are brainless fad-followers who are afraid of looking "uncool" or "wimpy".

:redcard: If they liked small cars they would have bought them.

Otherwise, the numbers for the 300C, Charger, Mustang GT, etc. would not have been as high as they were.

Small cars are a fad when fuel prices go up. I personally went through it during the unfortunate Pinto/Bobcat/Mustang II/Capri/Vega/ yadda yadda period. Trust me, 5-10 years from now people will look back and laugh that we thought the small cars of today were cool.

And in defense of the Focus redo (good Lord am I running a fever?) I don't mind the side vent. I do mind it when someone decided to put a chrome accent on it and thought that it looked good. :doh:

But yeah the rest of the car is hideous.

But back to the "no one wants a small car" argument, that's just silly. For those of us who thinks there is more to driving a car than cruising and straight-line performance, small cars can be the cats pajamas. No matter what kind of driving you like, you owe to yourself at some point in your life to go canyon-carving in a small sports car with a high revving engine. An RX-8 will do the job quite well, as will an S2000, or say an M-Roadster.

There are those of us without families, that don't have to buy larger vehicles. Personally outside of exotics, I consider most cars over Mustang-sized, boats. It's not the the late 60-70's. They may have mad-fast acceleration, but I don't prefer the handling dynamics. And yes, I can appreciate a classic car, but I don't want one as a daily driver. With gas being as expensive as it is, I want the fuel economy and dynamics in my daily driver, a small car.

Hell I scratch my head when I see Soccer Moms in Suburbans and Panther guys that are driving around in those aircraft carriers. But that is one thing that is great about this country, you can drive what you want. It may not be my gig, but somehow they get some measure of enjoyment out of it ;)

I'm waiting to see the neatness that is the new Fiesta and the next-gen Focus. Are we getting a two-door hatch with the global Focus?

Edited by the_spaniard

Here's a Focus SES w/out the vents: (chop)

Yeah, I think that is much better. (But I still don't like that front end...or the back end.)

I think that little chrome piece on the vent is the only thing I would consider gaudy, though. So you only get the chrome side vent on the higher-end models? Then again, if you really didn't want them maybe you can have them popped off at the dealer.

Here's a Focus SES w/out the vents: (chop)

I saw a new Focus in white and have to say it looked different to me. I kind of liked it. I could own one in white. But i would sure like to meet the idiot that approved of its design :finger:

Yeah, I think that is much better. (But I still don't like that front end...or the back end.)

I think that little chrome piece on the vent is the only thing I would consider gaudy, though. So you only get the chrome side vent on the higher-end models? Then again, if you really didn't want them maybe you can have them popped off at the dealer.

I hope to be working on a Focus chop sometime soon to make it look more pleasing to some. I personally don't mind the design, except for the blank/unfinished looking trunk lid. They should've had the lights continue onto the trunk lid, IMO.

The vent comes on SE and SES. IIRC, the S model doesnt have a vent (or maybe it's painted?)

Edited by rmc523

But back to the "no one wants a small car" argument, that's just silly. For those of us who thinks there is more to driving a car than cruising and straight-line performance, small cars can be the cats pajamas. No matter what kind of driving you like, you owe to yourself at some point in your life to go canyon-carving in a small sports car with a high revving engine. An RX-8 will do the job quite well, as will an S2000, or say an M-Roadster.

There are those of us without families, that don't have to buy larger vehicles. Personally outside of exotics, I consider most cars over Mustang-sized, boats. It's not the the late 60-70's. They may have mad-fast acceleration, but I don't prefer the handling dynamics. And yes, I can appreciate a classic car, but I don't want one as a daily driver. With gas being as expensive as it is, I want the fuel economy and dynamics in my daily driver, a small car.

Hell I scratch my head when I see Soccer Moms in Suburbans and Panther guys that are driving around in those aircraft carriers. But that is one thing that is great about this country, you can drive what you want. It may not be my gig, but somehow they get some measure of enjoyment out of it ;)

I'm waiting to see the neatness that is the new Fiesta and the next-gen Focus. Are we getting a two-door hatch with the global Focus?

You say that, yet in your signature you state you have an Xterra and an F150. :shades: And what are you doing with owning a Honda Civic EX Coupe?

However, you make valid points. However, I still do not believe that people want small cars - unless they are performance oriented as you stated.

Edited by 96 Pony