Autoblog: MKS First Drive

igor

Guess which vehicle this IP cluster is from (no fair peeking at the URL)

bmw_5series_528isedan_2008_dashboard_instrumentcluster_640x480.jpg

It's a BMW (I have a little advantage though).

One other note....BMW uses this same guage cluster on a good 95-99%, if not ALL of their vehicles. The only exception I can think of will be the 09 7 series, which gets a more 'high-tech' backlit white LED guage cluster similar to those on Mercedes', at least from spy shots.

it is not about the main gauges - but the little plastic bump covering the bottom of the secondary gauges and the cheap looking cutout for the side indicators do look cheap because they show that what is in the back is a slab of plastic

the other thing making it cheap is Ford awfully outdated, and outdated looking DIC (driver information center) - it is at least 5 years behind competition for Ford, and a decade behind for Lincoln.

I agree about the DIC. That's really my only complaint with the gauges, except the secondary guages are a little plain (some more lines may help).

Edited by rmc523

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have wished for a while now that someone would do a proper job of a heads up display that would integrate with basic nav functions like just arrows and such. The vette one of a few years ago was a good product, but washed out.

Having been in a couple Hornets, once you see the possibilities, it seems like a no brainer.

I figure it would be a nice profitable option too, once spread over a bunch of product.

I happen to know that at least one other premium manufacturer is moving ahead with this.

BMW's [relateively] new HUD (heads-up-display) system does incorporate navigation directions/arrows along with speed, etc.

that IP is from the bmw 3 series....i hate that MPG section..its pointless because it moves up and down according to basically everything the driver does....which makes no sense because you can see your avg. mpg through the info screen in the middle. Maybe its just me but i don't see the point?

Our Bimmer doesn't have that MPG guage (it has another conventional secondary guage, battery or something), and I'm glad it doesn't, because as you mentioned all it does is move up and down depending on how you push the gas.

Our Bimmer doesn't have that MPG guage (it has another conventional secondary guage, battery or something), and I'm glad it doesn't, because as you mentioned all it does is move up and down depending on how you push the gas.

Could it be an instant mpg guage?

Edited by suv_guy_19

Could it be an instant mpg guage?

What do you mean? If you mean by displaying what MPGs your getting at the current acceleration or whatever you're doing, I suppose it's an 'instant mpg guage'. I personally see it as more of a distraction than anything, having a needle spinning back and forth all the time, when you could just use the avg mpg thing the car has.

What do you mean? If you mean by displaying what MPGs your getting at the current acceleration or whatever you're doing, I suppose it's an 'instant mpg guage'. I personally see it as more of a distraction than anything, having a needle spinning back and forth all the time, when you could just use the avg mpg thing the car has.

The piece of crap Buick that we have has a guage that tells the instant miles per gallon, what you are getting at that second. As you go through the info centre, its right after your normal average MPG.

The piece of crap Buick that we have has a guage that tells the instant miles per gallon, what you are getting at that second. As you go through the info centre, its right after your normal average MPG.

Actually, come to think of it, our 3 does have an instant mpg thing right before your avg mpg readout in the info center. I guess they put it there instead of the guage under the tachometer.

I've been having a beef lately with Fords gauges as of late...the late 90s, and earlier this decade, they were nice and attractive, now some of them are questionable. The gauges on the Lincolns of late, are something that could easily fit on a Focus for that matter. THICK needles do not convey a feel of luxury or sophistication.... thin pointy needles, do. Nor do blocky numbers.

I sometimes wonder if some of these designers actually look at the competitors and take some example. Throw in some subtle details. Take a look at Volvo's S80 for example. Some different color background, maybe a blue hue that lightens as it reaches the end, stronger in the center, etc. Lexus does some night electroiluminecent gauges that could take a cue from.

I've been having a beef lately with Fords gauges as of late...the late 90s, and earlier this decade, they were nice and attractive, now some of them are questionable. The gauges on the Lincolns of late, are something that could easily fit on a Focus for that matter. THICK needles do not convey a feel of luxury or sophistication.... thin pointy needles, do. Nor do blocky numbers.

I sometimes wonder if some of these designers actually look at the competitors and take some example. Throw in some subtle details. Take a look at Volvo's S80 for example. Some different color background, maybe a blue hue that lightens as it reaches the end, stronger in the center, etc. Lexus does some night electroiluminecent gauges that could take a cue from.

The info display system on the Lexii are nice, but the guages themselves really aren't all that special:

2008LexusLS600hCluster01FixedSmall.jpg

You're going to be accused of being a negatard with that post...

Has anyone received some literature from Lincoln, about the MKS...it's a small brochure, 4in tall, 8-9in wide, about the MKS coming this summer? --No Compormises, No Comparisons...Introducing the All New 2009 Lincoln MKS.

Ok...point is...

On Page 13, you see a picture of the upper dash, notice the gauges...The scripture/type is shown to go along with the curve of the dials as in, 10 and probably 140 are upside down, while 60 snf 80, are towards the top almost straight.

On Page 21 (before the last) You have a side view pic of the front of the cabin. In it, the dials shows have the numbers in a straight flat scripture throughout.

So which is it?

Plus, the font on both is different from one another, and none have anything in common with the E/F and C/H from the aux readouts.

Apparently they went with the Ford brand cookbook and used horizontal Eurostile Extended Bold. Odd since none of the other new Lincolns have it (MKX & MKZ use a Kabel or Avant Garde variant), and Mercury has been using a Univers/Helvetica font for the past few years.

1620_1_b.JPG

first-drive-mks-1280-43.jpg

5503.big.png

Ford has been using Eurostile for years. It was in the '79 Mustang, for cryin out loud. The IP above is from 1987.

Besides, that's why they have that disclaimer that says features and equipment may change

Edited by RichardJensen

Ya gotta love those disclaimers, just like buying a house... "Developer reserves the right to change/modify, any current plans, yadda yadda"...then what was planned as a childrens park, turns out to be 5 other homes behind your back yard...I've seen that happen before... It's udnestandable.

Just not sure which one they went with finally. I prefer this arrangement than the one where the numbers were going around. I find that odd bathtub side profile extrusion for the E/F C/H, is there a purpose to that?

It is not about luxury...it is about a car that is supposed to save a brand having the same cluster as a 14K Focus.

1413521367_0451cad34c.jpg

:huh:

Other than the lame-o info center which I agree about, and the gauge locations, how can you possibly compare these two? I insist once more than you get your eyes checked. This isn't the first time you've said something so patently ridiculous while comparing two items in looks.

1413521367_0451cad34c.jpg

:huh:

Other than the lame-o info center which I agree about, and the gauge locations, how can you possibly compare these two? I insist once more than you get your eyes checked. This isn't the first time you've said something so patently ridiculous while comparing two items in looks.

Ok...so now changing the stickers on the cluster makes them completely different?

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

And I suppose that these clusters are completely different too:

ford_crownvictoria_lx_2007_dashboar.jpg

wmimg_0102.jpg

:hysterical:

Edited by P71_CrownVic