Autoblog: MKS First Drive

igor

What exactly defines "luxury" in a set of gauges? Should they be made of gold?

I have wished for a while now that someone would do a proper job of a heads up display that would integrate with basic nav functions like just arrows and such. The vette one of a few years ago was a good product, but washed out.

Having been in a couple Hornets, once you see the possibilities, it seems like a no brainer.

I figure it would be a nice profitable option too, once spread over a bunch of product.

I happen to know that at least one other premium manufacturer is moving ahead with this.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it doesn't supply such thoroughly useful educational tidbits as "Press Brake Before Shifting From Park"?

1) because when your tires are low, it does not tell you which one

2) because it is not graphical

3) because it only has 2 lines and cramped text

... it is just outdated - and yes nicely written instructions are (at least for me) little pieces of thoughtfullness built in - I cannot tell you just HOW LONG it took us to figure out how the Land Rover push-button start worked - the Murano told us - plain and simple ..

Igor

IIRC, the IP you've posted is from the Lincoln MKX.

Correct, I just took it, The flash made the icon's appear in the pic, but you don't see them in a normal lighting situation.. Even thou the X isn't something to write home about, it has a panache of a more upscale look and a retro look back to the 60's for a Lincoln.

OMG panache? I could become a blogger now and get to test drive these......

I don't mind the gauges, IMO that area should always be clean and clear. What I do mind is the graphic as pointed out by Igor. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but a bit more information and a larger (clearer) graphic would be helpful. At least Ford decided to finally place which gear you were in up there.

nicely written instructions are (at least for me) little pieces of thoughtfullness built in

Yeah, but how long have shift interlocks been around? Fifteen years?

And while knowing which tire is low on air is helpful, the vast bulk of the info I've seen on Audi/VW is there just because something had to be cooked up to fill the space.

I mean I'm not saying that the green matrix on most Fords is fantastic, but it's not all that bad, and if you look closely, you'll note that the MKS info center is not the same as the one in the MKZ/MKX/all other Fords.

Rich, I knew that was the 5-Series cluster without reading the comments. I should get something for that.

Am I the only one who noticed that the text in the message center is not red, blue, or green, but gray/white? How often does one see that?

It has started in the MK X. it's all white. They like to tout it as LED lighting, I think, But I don't believe it's actually LED's. It really is nice. not as bad as you might believe.

Yeah, but how long have shift interlocks been around? Fifteen years?

And while knowing which tire is low on air is helpful, the vast bulk of the info I've seen on Audi/VW is there just because something had to be cooked up to fill the space.

I mean I'm not saying that the green matrix on most Fords is fantastic, but it's not all that bad, and if you look closely, you'll note that the MKS info center is not the same as the one in the MKZ/MKX/all other Fords.

I had an Escape loaner and before I could drive it off the lot, it had a tire Icon showing on the dash. I drive it into the dealership and he says they had just checked the tires.

So the Icon is telling you you have an inflation problem. They had to use a wireless tool at each tire to reset the Icon. Now I don't know if this is an always deal to reset the Icon after it goes off. I've even heard of people getting charged for that, when they swap out Factory wheels to something they have just purchased. For a charge, it makes you want to keep your eyes on your tires.

Actually the MK S info center does seem to look the same as the X.

that IP is from the bmw 3 series....i hate that MPG section..its pointless because it moves up and down according to basically everything the driver does....which makes no sense because you can see your avg. mpg through the info screen in the middle. Maybe its just me but i don't see the point?

Edited by 03Ltd.Windstar

I saw a silver MKS yestedat at a traffic jam, the car really stands out from the pack.

It's MASSIVE, the front grille looks awesome. In person it doesn't look as bad as in the pics.

It looks great in the pictures.

What exactly defines "luxury" in a set of gauges? Should they be made of gold?

It is not about luxury...it is about a car that is supposed to save a brand having the same cluster as a 14K Focus.

Why not spend a little extra money and give the car a unique cluster...and not one that is found in another dozen Ford vehicles?

It is not about luxury...it is about a car that is supposed to save a brand having the same cluster as a 14K Focus.

Why not spend a little extra money and give the car a unique cluster...and not one that is found in another dozen Ford vehicles?

Oh my...... I'm gonna agree with P on this....

Obviously it's a Visteon Dash and I hope Ford just didn't hand off the design to them like that.

However... that Instrument Cluster isn't a make or break feature on the S. This is suppose to be a make or break entry for Lincoln, not a hopeful MK T. By then it will be too late. Their were other thing's I noticed that seemed .....?? But it will be the overall looks and ride that sway people...

Perhaps we can even get P71 to take a test drive in one and give us his impression on it?

I had an Escape loaner and before I could drive it off the lot, it had a tire Icon showing on the dash. I drive it into the dealership and he says they had just checked the tires.

So the Icon is telling you you have an inflation problem. They had to use a wireless tool at each tire to reset the Icon. Now I don't know if this is an always deal to reset the Icon after it goes off. I've even heard of people getting charged for that, when they swap out Factory wheels to something they have just purchased. For a charge, it makes you want to keep your eyes on your tires.

Actually the MK S info center does seem to look the same as the X.

After you properly fill your tires to the rated PSI, The light will go off. Don't ever pay for that unless you have an issue with it not going away. Our 07 Freestar has it and my Shelby has it. The light comes on, I check the psi and correct it. The light goes out. That light is not a cause for a trip to the dealer.

Good, then we can hold you too that. Thanks..

why?...it'll just be one big bash anyways.....P already has pre-conceived ideas as are obvious from his posts regarding this vehicle....no biggie, he just has a disdain for all that is ford pretty much....

I'll happily do it.

Yeah so you can cry about it? I'd pass reading that write-up. Of course you would liken it to 'being honest and non-cheerleader like'.

Anyhow, the damn gauge cluster does not look like anything out of a Focus. I have one of those LCD readouts on the G, and to be quite honest while it being pretty to look at it really doesn't do much. We had a nail in the tire a few weeks ago (had to buy new rear tires anyhow) and the tire pressure light came on. You would think with that display it would have informed you which one right? Wrong! The only thing the LCD readout in our G does are the following things:

-Distance to empty

-Display the set distance and speed when utilizing the radar cruise control

-Outside Temp

-Instant Fuel Economy

-Travel time/Average Speed

So in a nutshell the same thing that Lincoln's does, except it comes with a red LCD readout. It aint what it's cracked up to be. BMW's system has a bit more color, and animated objects but it is confusing to use (my parents have an M5). If you want an example of a gauge cluster done right I suggest you take a look at the Lexus LS and those start at 63K.

Yeah so you can cry about it? I'd pass reading that write-up. Of course you would liken it to 'being honest and non-cheerleader like'.

Anyhow, the damn gauge cluster does not look like anything out of a Focus. I have one of those LCD readouts on the G, and to be quite honest while it being pretty to look at it really doesn't do much. We had a nail in the tire a few weeks ago (had to buy new rear tires anyhow) and the tire pressure light came on. You would think with that display it would have informed you which one right? Wrong! The only thing the LCD readout in our G does are the following things:

-Distance to empty

-Display the set distance and speed when utilizing the radar cruise control

-Outside Temp

-Instant Fuel Economy

-Travel time/Average Speed

So in a nutshell the same thing that Lincoln's does, except it comes with a red LCD readout. It aint what it's cracked up to be. BMW's system has a bit more color, and animated objects but it is confusing to use (my parents have an M5). If you want an example of a gauge cluster done right I suggest you take a look at the Lexus LS and those start at 63K.

Mike hes already writing his reveiw in the Popular Mechanics thread...so far the Hyundai kicks its ass, mind you he hasn't even seen, driven or hands on in any way EITHER of the two vehicles but the Hyundai is superior in EVERY respect..VERY honest beleivable reveiw from THE Armchair expert....no one will buy a Lincoln after this lambasting....

Edited by Deanh

PM had this summation of the Genesis. Probably accurate.

For now, a much better Genesis matchup would be with the sub-luxury American rear-wheel-drive sedans from Chrysler and Pontiac, or the FWD offerings from Buick and Ford. At just under $30,000, the Genesis hits right at the pricing sweet spot for those sedans, and provides significantly more features for the price. Why should someone buy a Buick when they can get twice the luxury at the same price?

And that's why EcoBoost and AWD is so important for the MKS and Taurus and the MKZ. An AWD turbo MKZ will do fine against this.

But the Hyundai will be the 300C's and full-load 300 V-6 worst nightmare. Also the G-8.

Yeah, straight across may have been a bit cleaner. The dimple in the center does sort of force your eyes toward the Lincoln logo though.

I disagree - as I have stated before I wish they had gone up more into the hood ala the '76 Grand Prix.

Not bitching. I still think it is beautiful.