NEW Ranger

I can't help but keeping wondering something. Why did we get the new SportTrac instead of a new Ranger? Surely there must have been a big decision made by someone on this at some point. Did Ford think that Ranger buyers would go for the SportTrac with independent rear suspension and a joke for a bed? Do they think that small truck buyers don't actually use their trucks? I was parked at Home Depot just yesterday with late model Rangers all around me - myself in a late model Ranger trying to figure out how to get something too big into it.

And, then to have the alternative to the aging Ranger is the new 3/4 ton F-150. Hard to figure. Can't help but wonder what the possible reasoning behind this decision could be. Has Ford lost complete touch with their customers and how they use their vehicles?

If you read beetween the lines I think Fords' strategy is to let the US Ranger die and import the new ranger from Thailand.
If they import the Ranger from Thailand the Tacoma would be more American then the Ranger. I would never buy a Ranger . I only buy American so I would have to buy the Tacoma. If the rest of you Ford Employee's were smart you would stop buying these American so called imports exp. Fusion. GM and Ford are running out of America with their tail between their legs! We need to buy only are union made american products! It's us against the world and sometimes ourselves we need to be united on this cause for once!!!!!

Lets get ready to rumble. :happy feet:

With the St. Paul plant on the chopping block, it seems obvious that Ford is getting ready to kill off the Ranger, but only after letting it wither on the vine. Of course this fits Ford's M.O., it's been letting models hang around far too long throughout it's history, most recently the Taurus, but all the way back to the Model T. An imported "Ranger" is just the next step toward Ford moving away from being an automaker, and toward more of a holding company of other manufacturers. The Ford name will still be around, but the days of American-engineered, American-made cars and trucks are numbered. The maddening thing is, a design for the perfect compact or mid-size truck already exists - the F-150. If Ford would just build a 7/8ths scale F-150 as the Ranger, it would be a home run.

• 2 weeks later...
I would like slightly bigger, so a person could put a four wheeler in the bed. I also wantr a little 4 cylinder deisel.

Take what you can from the 150, style and technology.

I read that Ford does make currently a Ranger with a diesel for sale over seas, also a 4 door ranger (not sport trac)

I wonder of it will be released the U.S. or if they are made here.

Latest Ford press releases says that the Tai Ranger won't be imported here. I think they will build an updated copy of it here however. I don't thinkt he plant in Tai Land could be made big enough to fulfil the demand in the U.S. I personally don't have a problem with that. Yeah sure, bitch about the engineering done in Tai but if it works it works. There have also been rumors of the new Ranger being built of the new Explorer platform.

Edited by StevenJ

Ford has everything they need to build a class leading Ranger right now in the Explorer. The new SportTrac is a good start. Add a solid axle, a different choice of cabs and beds, and offer a 4cyl, V6 and V8 engine. This is a no brainer that would not cost that much to engineer.

And a small diesel.

I don't thinkt he plant in Tai Land could be made big enough to fulfil the demand in the U.S.

The current 25% tariff on light-duty trucks imported into the US just might have something to do with it, too...

Edited by ptschett

The latest rumor I heard was the Ranger will be built in Flat Rock starting the 2009 model year. Can anyone confirm this?

do they have enough capacity? I guess they would if Mazda moved the 6 to Mexico with the Fusion triplets.

Sure do hope the rumors are correct and that we'll have a new, more comfortable Ranger with a small V-8 and diesel option within a few years. I doubt I am the only person on the planet trying to keep the miles off of an older F-150 to hopefully make it last until Ford builds something that I want to buy again.

I truly love my 2003 Ranger XLT 4X4 and it gets good gas mileage for this type of vehicle. It is close to being all that we need for a primary vehicle, but not quite there yet. The new F-150 is considerably more vehicle than we need and fuel efficiency is weighing heavily on my mind. Always has, but obviously lately it is on most people's brains when they consider a new vehicle, especially a new truck purchase.

I continue to say that Ford has a real shot here with a major, customer appealing vehicle. Americans love their trucks and most of us don't intend to give them up due to high gasoline prices. Ford has the chassis and the engine to make a strong, comfortable and fuel-efficient half-ton truck again. It could be the big hit that Ford desperately needs now.

Hope they get it done right and quickly too.

The common-sense approach is to share as much as possible with the Explorer. The IRS is a problem, though.

I think the Explorer chassis is flexible enough to support a SRA rear suspension much like how the T1 has IRS in the Expedition and SRA in the F150. The only thing is, an Explorer based picked would eat away at F150 sales and would have to be called F100 so they could count it with the F-Series numbers. That must be why they are closing down NAP, in anticipation of F150 slowing down sales due to a potential F100. If I had to guess, I would say an Explorer based F100 will hit early 08 as an 09 model.

That would be fine. Return "Ranger" to the ranks of a trim package designation on the Explorer-based F-100.

I had no serious doubt that a pair of elipticals and an 8.8 beam could be hung from modified Explorer rails. The "problem" would be in the few detractors who would notice the change and question it. Still, I doubt the world is really ready for IRS in a "real" pickup (Sport Trac and the D.O.A. Lightning concept notwithstanding).