Ranger Rescue

FordBuyer

I agree...but no matter how behind the 8-ball the Ranger is, it is still the best small truck on the market. And like I said with new engine and trans optiona and a dab of advertising, it would sell...and I think it would sell very well.

well the new 2.5 is replacing the2.3 in the Fusion and Escape...Ranger next?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree...but no matter how behind the 8-ball the Ranger is, it is still the best small truck on the market. And like I said with new engine and trans optiona and a dab of advertising, it would sell...and I think it would sell very well.

You are absolutely correct. My fear, frankly, is that Ford will do this, and then just further delay bringing the global ranger here. We need it NOW. 80 percent of the contractors driving around in Silverados and F-150/250/350's could easily switch to the Ranger with modern engine and tranny options (would it be that hard to get the 4.4 diesel into it as the premium engine?)

2-3 more years is just about a decade too late, as usual.

You are absolutely correct. My fear, frankly, is that Ford will do this, and then just further delay bringing the global ranger here. We need it NOW. 80 percent of the contractors driving around in Silverados and F-150/250/350's could easily switch to the Ranger with modern engine and tranny options (would it be that hard to get the 4.4 diesel into it as the premium engine?)

2-3 more years is just about a decade too late, as usual.

try and fit an 8 x 4 piece of plywood in a ranger, or tow the diesel compressor........sure some would swap...no where near 80%...10 MAYBE.....perhaps even less if the F-100 has a full size bed and capability....

is that Ford will do this, and then just further delay bringing the global ranger here. We need it NOW. 80 percent of the contractors driving around in Silverados and F-150/250/350's could easily switch to the Ranger with modern engine and tranny options

Ford drags their feet to do anything, so simply swapping the engines and trans would be a stop gap until they (eventually) get the global Ranger here.

Ford drags their feet to do anything, so simply swapping the engines and trans would be a stop gap until they (eventually) get the global Ranger here.

not so much dragging their feet p, the Ranger is not a major priority right now, it WILL gather more steam obviuosly in reflection of the consumers reactions to the pump, but even you have to admit Ford has an awful lot on their to-do list right now...of MORE potential importance are their B cars/ or lack of.....it is merely a case of priorities right now, and i don't think ANY manufacturer was wholey prepared for our current state....

not so much dragging their feet p, the Ranger is not a major priority right now, it WILL gather more steam obviuosly in reflection of the consumers reactions to the pump, but even you have to admit Ford has an awful lot on their to-do list right now...of MORE potential importance are their B cars/ or lack of.....it is merely a case of priorities right now, and i don't think ANY manufacturer was wholey prepared for our current state....

With the cdurrent state of their truck sales (or lack of), the Ranger should be a high priority. Andit is not like I am asking them to completely redesign the whole thing, I am asking that they ditch the current engines and replace them with the 2.5/3.5 and 6-speed. Why would Ford not want to take advantage of a market that is being handed to them?

With the cdurrent state of their truck sales (or lack of), the Ranger should be a high priority. Andit is not like I am asking them to completely redesign the whole thing, I am asking that they ditch the current engines and replace them with the 2.5/3.5 and 6-speed. Why would Ford not want to take advantage of a market that is being handed to them?

It's called SUPPLY. You arm-chair experts expect Ford to start tomorrow with these eco-boost's in every vehicle, have NO IDEA how a company runs...

It's much better to sit and act like you know thou, isn't it?

they already have the market...why fix what isnt broken.....focus is elsewhere....

It's called SUPPLY. You arm-chair experts expect Ford to start tomorrow with these eco-boost's in every vehicle, have NO IDEA how a company runs...

It's much better to sit and act like you know thou, isn't it?

No, I am not saying that Ford put those silly ego-boost engines into the Ranger. We want fuel economy here. Just the N/A 2.5 and 3.5.

Because if they spend a few pennies on swapping the engine and trans, they will sell a lot more and thus rake in the money. But why would Ford want to be profitable.

why...right now 2.3 is fine...and truthfully sales are NOT setting the world on fire anyways....and P...several years ago they were literally going to dis-continue the Ranger due to LACK of profitability...THAT is the true reason for the lack of developement...and that was straight from our Zone reps mouth answering our queries....

Edited by Deanh

Because if they spend a few pennies on swapping the engine and trans, they will sell a lot more and thus rake in the money. But why would Ford want to be profitable.

People aren't buying the Ranger due to its engines, they aren't buying it because people aren't buying small trucks. If you were to put the more expensive 3.5 in place of the prove 4.0 and get a mile or two better MPG's, people are NOT going to start flocking to the Ranger. That's the reality, face it. People want a full size (or near full size like the rumored F100) crew cab pickup that gets 30 MPG (4.4L Diesel in an F100 maybe...). As soon as someone makes one, it will sell like hotcakes...

Prove it...

Hey P71,

I found this review from 2005:

Consumer Guide Automotive - 2005 Ford Ranger

News

Word is that the 2006 Ranger will be yet another update of the vintage-1993 basic design.

Ford still said to be mulling the future of its compact pickup, due to low profit margins in

a declining market segment. There's talk of Japanese affiliate Mazda being tapped to

design a new Ranger, but sources don't see any action on this front before 2010.

Although the second half of that news was proven wrong, FoA won the lead design

engineering contract on the Global Ranger but that wasn't announce until mid 2006.

Edited by jpd80

There are so many variables in gas mileage on any one day. The wind, traffic conditions, timing the lights or getting caught by everyone, sudden hazards that come requiring braking, and on and on. Also, rental cars suck, never maintained well, beat up, and so on. I will go with the more stringent EPA ratings on the new Taurus which say it will deliver 28 highway as an average, better than the 500 with more power. My 2002 Taurus gets 22mpg in mixed driving with 3.0L 24 valve V6 and smaller than present Taurus with two less gears and 65 less hp. So if you can pull 22+mpg in new Taurus in mixed driving, that is impressive in my book with so much more car and power.

I can see how they would get lower gas milage: The EPA tests are conducted with exactly the same acceleration curves, but when you're driving the Taurus, you are able to accelerate much faster if you choose to do so, therefore using more gas.

People aren't buying the Ranger due to its engines, they aren't buying it because people aren't buying small trucks. If you were to put the more expensive 3.5 in place of the prove 4.0 and get a mile or two better MPG's, people are NOT going to start flocking to the Ranger. That's the reality, face it. People want a full size (or near full size like the rumored F100) crew cab pickup that gets 30 MPG (4.4L Diesel in an F100 maybe...). As soon as someone makes one, it will sell like hotcakes...

Exactly... Ford knows this.. and P doesn't drive one, so why he's so concerned is beyond me, other than it's made near him..

The ones that own and use a Ranger are the urban cowboys, who need to haul something once in a while.. it's great to drive to work for a second vehicle. Run to the hardware store on weekends for a home project. Carry a wheelbarrow or ladder to someplace. Then your choices are: 4 cylinder for economy and light hauling or 6 cylinder for 4 WD and a little more power. Pass it down to your son, so he can play with it.. it's a toy. No offence, it's a great truck, I'd rather drive one everyday than an Explorer actually.

But your not gonna buy one to tow a big boat or trailer for a lawn mowing business, slap a cement mixer or welder onto the rear, put a blade on it to push snow.

Give it up P.. Ranger is here only until the F-100 arrives. Then people will replace older F-150's for WORK vehicles and better economy. You don't see Farmers driving a Ranger, or Utilities or Construction using them. F-100 will be right-sizing for a lot of new reason's and one will be better fuel economy.. much like Ranger gets right now. In the F-100 P will be getting everything he wants now in the Ranger.

Europe gets by with just a Ranger as it's only pick-up truck from Ford, most tradesmen would go out of business pretty fast in Europe with high fuel prices if they had anything bigger.

Most tradesman here would go out of business with anything smaller than what they use. Most here use 3/4 ton trucks.

Edited by suv_guy_19