Chrysler recalls 6,692 Journey crossovers

rmc523

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chrysler-recal...crossovers.html

Chrysler has recalled 6,692 of 17,569 Journeys sold due to a faulty wiring harness that "could come in contact with the left transaxle mount, possibly sparking an engine fire."

And that's why we don't rush products to market and then actually inspect them for quality.

Edited by suv_guy_19

And that's why we don't rush products to market and then actually inspect them for quality.

Yep. Considering how short a time the Journey has been on the market, this appears like something the new Ford build-and-hold technique probably would have caught before it reached a customer.

The Dodge Freestyle err Taurus X errr thing that ain't selling worth a shit.

Ummm...it sold 5,000 more units then the Ford Taurus X did last month. 7,500 units ain't too shabby (which is almost as much as Mercury and Lincoln's combined SUV sales for the month).

It outsold the once almighty Murano, Rogue, Santa Fe, Tuscon, CX-7, CX-9, Tribute, Outback, Forester, Grand Vitara/ XL7, Mariner, MKX, Enclave, Equinox, Acadia, Torrent, Outlook, Outlander, Element......(that's all I could think of that is remotely cross-shoppable and since its kind of a tweener between a couple size classes)

Ford Edge, Escape, Toyota Highlander, RAV4 and Honda Pilot (though did come close), CRV are the only things I can think of off the top of my head outselling it that is comparable....and that's only being on the market for one quarter.

Its obviously destroying the traditional midsize SUV market (that could possibly be in any comparison as well).

Edited by Intrepidatious

Ummm...it sold 5,000 more units then the Ford Taurus X did last month. 7,500 units ain't too shabby (which is almost as much as Mercury and Lincoln's combined SUV sales for the month).

It outsold the once almighty Murano, Rogue, Santa Fe, Tuscon, CX-7, CX-9, Tribute, Outback, Forester, Grand Vitara/ XL7, Mariner, MKX, Enclave, Equinox, Acadia, Torrent, Outlook, Outlander, Element......(that's all I could think of that is remotely cross-shoppable and since its kind of a tweener between a couple size classes)

Ford Edge, Escape, Toyota Highlander, RAV4 and Honda Pilot (though did come close), CRV are the only things I can think of off the top of my head outselling it that is comparable....and that's only being on the market for one quarter.

Its obviously destroying the traditional midsize SUV market (that could possibly be in any comparison as well).

Well I would hope it outsells more expensive vehicles, as several of those you mentioned are.

I have to say that I stopped and looked at a new Journey. I had to be quick since my wife was expecting me home. It really does look nice. This was a all red unit with chrome wheels. I think you can get in one that has a lot for about 23k. Not bad. Had a lot of funtional features inside. I would consider one after the initial first year run

I have to say that I stopped and looked at a new Journey. I had to be quick since my wife was expecting me home. It really does look nice. This was a all red unit with chrome wheels. I think you can get in one that has a lot for about 23k. Not bad. Had a lot of funtional features inside. I would consider one after the initial first year run

While I don't think it's a bad offering by any means, I don't think it (not crossovers, just it) is my cup of tea. I don't know....something about Dodge products in general (except for Viper, and it appears Challenger) just scream cheap to me in their overall design and materials, even from an exterior viewpoint, not to mention the interiors.

I can't really explain what it is.

Edited by rmc523

Umm...in May, the EXPLORER still outsold it. So much for destroying that traditional midsize SUV market...

While I find the design philosophy of the Journey to be exceptional, I do believe that the base powertrain is somewhat defficient. I would have gone with the 2.4L/CVT package from the Patriot instead. It delivers more power to the wheels and can be more efficient if properly setup. With that package, they could have charged an additional $250 per unit and covered the associated cost difference. Also, why the heck didn't they offer the European powertrain in the US? a 2.7L DOHC v6 with a 6AT? That would have hit the sweet spot for the vehicle in both power and economy. That just boggles my mind. And its not like it would be that difficult. They build the thing on this side of the pond already and ship it over there to sell, so its an already completed configuration that exists on the assembly line.

Umm...in May, the EXPLORER still outsold it. So much for destroying that traditional midsize SUV market...

Umm, the 600 more units it sold after being America's best selling SUV for over a decade really does seem devasting, don't you think? Also, I did not know the Explorer was the entire midsize SUV market. Man, that's even worse then I was making it out to be.

Any Fleet Totals? Like a Typical Chrysler, I imagine at least half was fleet!! It is another small crossover with two extra almost worthless seats. :stirpot:

Any Fleet Totals? Like a Typical Chrysler, I imagine at least half was fleet!! It is another small crossover with two extra almost worthless seats. :stirpot:

Chrysler has reduced their fleet sales in case nobody actually reads the news.

As a matter of fact, they seem to be about even with Ford now. Now that you ask....I wonder how many of those Explorers are fleet?

Through April, Chrysler reduced fleet sales by about 45,000 units, or 17 percent, from a year earlier. GM cut fleet sales by nearly 40,000 units, or 14 percent. And Ford Motor's fleet sales fell 25,000 units, or 9 percent.

Despite their discipline, the Detroit 3 are not out of the woods. Because retail sales are so weak, fleet sales still account for as much as 35 percent of total U.S. sales for Ford Motor and Chrysler LLC.

As we all know fleet also includes gov't and contractor vehicles. Such as Panther/Charger and F-150/Ram.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Umm, the 600 more units it sold after being America's best selling SUV for over a decade really does seem devasting, don't you think? Also, I did not know the Explorer was the entire midsize SUV market. Man, that's even worse then I was making it out to be.

I was just pointing out another vehicle that outsold the Journey. And the Explorer is the epitome of the midsize SUV market. To leave it out of your comparison of sales I just found kind of amusing.

If the Explorer's sales drop is devastating, what does it mean to the Journey's sales if they aren't outselling a "devastated" vehicle?

I was just pointing out another vehicle that outsold the Journey. And the Explorer is the epitome of the midsize SUV market. To leave it out of your comparison of sales I just found kind of amusing.

If the Explorer's sales drop is devastating, what does it mean to the Journey's sales if they aren't outselling a "devastated" vehicle?

"Devastated" is a relative term. For instance, if Ford depended on the Explorer for 25% of its profits while selling 100k units, and the numbers of unit sold "plummeted" down to 50k, then Ford would feel major hurt in the bottom line.

While if Dodge sells Journeys at a 40k clip, well below the "devastated" Explorer, BUT those sales are incremental sales.... then Dodge is probably somewhat satisfied with the results. However if the Journey was simply cannabalizing sales from the Durango, Pacifica, Grand Cherokee, etc., then that is a different story.

Just my thoughts on the topic.

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

"Devastated" is a relative term. For instance, if Ford depended on the Explorer for 25% of its profits while selling 100k units, and the numbers of unit sold "plummeted" down to 50k, then Ford would feel major hurt in the bottom line.

While if Dodge sells Journeys at a 40k clip, well below the "devastated" Explorer, BUT those sales are incremental sales.... then Dodge is probably somewhat satisfied with the results. However if the Journey was simply cannabalizing sales from the Durango, Pacifica, Grand Cherokee, etc., then that is a different story.

Just my thoughts on the topic.

-Ovaltine

True. At the moment though, Explorer is still on pace to move over 100,000 units this year. It's not as dead a segment as everyone wants to think it is. There is still a demand for such a type of vehicle.

As for the Journey cannibalizing sales...well, I can't see it cannibalizing Pacifica sales much....they didn't really exist in the first place. Durango and Grand Caravan are probably taking the biggest hit because of it. Of course, better to lose the sales to vehicle you sell than to one the competition offers.

Well it was that time of the year for Enterprise to replace inventory...This is one of the top 3 auto markets in the nation, and I have NEVER seen a Journey on the road.

Although down the street they are pretty much all Chryslers and Toyotas

Edited by kevinb120