OAC News

otp

$3,000 signing bonus, $2,000 cost of living payments in Dec 2013, 2014, 2015. Partial third shift starting in the next few months with over 200 new jobs. New investment for global platform with 400 more jobs before end of 4 year contract. The cost-of-living adjustment is frozen again until the final three months of the agreement in 2016. New workers to reach full wage at 10 years - no two tier system. Pretty good over all.

We have been promised the elusive third shift for years. We were promised a new platform during the life of the contract that JUST EXPIRED. Where is the profit sharing?. It will be another "interesting" rat vote. There must be another shoe to drop.

$3,000 signing bonus, $2,000 cost of living payments in Dec 2013, 2014, 2015. Partial third shift starting in the next few months with over 200 new jobs. New investment for global platform with 400 more jobs before end of 4 year contract. The cost-of-living adjustment is frozen again until the final three months of the agreement in 2016. New workers to reach full wage at 10 years - no two tier system. Pretty good over all.

We live in Canada so half of that money goes to the government.200 new jobs not bad since they eliminated 700-800 over the last 6 years.The 400 will be outsourced jobs at some point.Cost of living frozen again." Voith" thats as two tier as it gets.The global platform I gave up my holidays and started to pay my own benefits 3 years ago for that.That carrot gets farther and farther down the tunnel and I dont even have a light. :beatdeadhorse:

We live in Canada so half of that money goes to the government.200 new jobs not bad since they eliminated 700-800 over the last 6 years.The 400 will be outsourced jobs at some point.Cost of living frozen again." Voith" thats as two tier as it gets.The global platform I gave up my holidays and started to pay my own benefits 3 years ago for that.That carrot gets farther and farther down the tunnel and I dont even have a light. :beatdeadhorse:

Don't know where you get 700-800 jobs over last six years, St.Thomas lost over 2000 hourly when the plant closed.

What is the concensus at OAC on this proposed contract? I have been laid off from Windsor operations since 10/2006 - worked at OAC for three months duing the third shift fiasco during the summer of 2008 - then worked as a sacraficed FULL TIME TPT (IE went from full rate to 70% pay rate - thanks CAW) at STAP from 9/2010 to 9/2011(closure). I for one am voting no as there is no work for Windsor operations -35 new announced jobs but we will lose around 500 in 2014 when the 5.4L is phased out.

Two tier will be installed in the next if not following contract. Just in time to freeze wages for/if any new hires before they get to 100%.

What's the second tier pay in the US?

Canada is so expensive on mfg. labour -- I guess we must be cheap retail workers, 'cause big box is flooding in.

It is disgusting what big auto is doing to new hires, I hope they can forgive when they vote on a 60% pension, (100% after ten years).

This is more than economic, they are trying to turn brothers against sisters, plant vs. plant.

We can't control who runs the companies, but we can decide who runs OUR COUNTRIES!

Wait till they get AWS and find out c crew doesn't get mandatory sat and suns hahah

We will never have a c crew in our plant, and I have no problem being unemployed if a package was offered I would gladly take it, 48 hour work weeks is enough for I don't need 8 more. Within the last 3 months two people have died, one at the end of his shift and the other having a heart attack during the shift, both were fairly young being in their 40s. Can't wait to see how turn this reply into a joke

Edited by Mustang_gt01

We will never have a c crew in our plant, and I have no problem being unemployed if a package was offered I would gladly take it, 48 hour work weeks is enough for I don't need 8 more. Within the last 3 months two people have died, one at the end of his shift and the other having a heart attack during the shift, both were fairly young being in their 40s. Can't wait to see how turn this reply into a joke

Must be nice to work a 5 day 8 hour shift work week. Retire or quit if its so bad.

We don't work a 5 day 8 hour shift week. We work a 4 day 10 hours, and a fifth day 8 hour week, so we work 48 hours a week. We are hearing they want to make us work at least one mandatory Saturday on top of that, so 56 hours a week. As was mentioned in the last two weeks two employees died from massive heartattacks, while in their 40s. We have to fight to get our vacation time since it is constantly denied and many people are exhausted from the 48 hour schedule. All most of us want is at least to have a day or two a week to spend with family. Not work 6 days a week, with hours totalling 56 per week.

As to the new hires they will receive a pension. It is partially a defined pension, so a percentage will be the same as our current one. The other portion will be a defined contribution pension, which would be similar to American 401ks. The build up to full wage is 10 years, yes that is a long time, but for now (until next contract at least) new hires are still eventually going to reach full rate.

We go to ratify on Saturday and Sunday so until then details are sketchy except what we have heard in the press and rumors.

Sounds like your not going to be able to vote cause it's on a Saturday.

Why would I not be able to vote on a Saturday? Just to clarify we currently work Monday through Thursday 10 hours each day, Friday 8 hours, totalling 48 hours a week. We are hearing they wish to add at least one mandatory 8 hour Saturday shift per month to this schedule, making it 56 hours a week. They have asked us on several occasions to work the Saturday but have been unable to get enough volunteers to run a shift which could explain them trying to make it mandatory.

Here in the states they can work us 11.5 hours a day and Saturday's, more than one a month . There is no volunteering it's mandatory !

So your complaining about having to work 1 saturday a month, wow, talk about spoiled,

If you don't like YOUR terms of employment.. QUIT. And you can eat your sugar glazed donut while filling out your unemployment forms.

If OAC can maintain their quality of work life , good for them- Bitch to your fellow UAW members... its their fault and your union leadership

Don't come on here spewiing your bitterness for your situation.

• Like 1

Ahhh, you are right, this is just a message board... and you should relax...

I have found your responses to be of the "smart ass variety" on several occasions,

I actually think you were rude to trimoac....

I have been reading the posts as i have immediate family who work at OAC...

As for donuts,,, I much prefer the Tim Horton's canadian variety

• Like 1

Ahhh, you are right, this is just a message board... and you should relax...

I have found your responses to be of the "smart ass variety" on several occasions,

I actually think you were rude to trimoac....

I have been reading the posts as i have immediate family who work at OAC...

As for donuts,,, I much prefer the Tim Horton's canadian variety

Timmy's makes awesome Boston Kremes.

We only get bigcountry Krispy Kreme filled here.

Btw.

Your mandatory sats and 8 hr Fridays will be gone. You guys will have a CCrew and they will work fri sat sun and mon for you!

Hey DamageDone,

She has family that works at OAC so she knows how everything works!

I bet that assembly line would chew her up and spit her out!!!

She better eat a Bigcountry donut if she ever decides to work that assembly line!

Luckily - I am well employed in the financial sector.

Just so you know... I spend a lot time defending auto workers amongst some of the conservative financial types that I work with.

You guys/gals do work hard, and I don't think I could do it for more than hour.

I believe we need good paying jobs like the auto sector to sustain the middle class and its consumerism.

The world global economic market has changed manufacturing across the world. The playing field is being levelled.

I have seen family business gets wiped out because of competition from chinese manufacturing.

I am more for you than against you.

I just didn't like the WAY you responded to other posts. You are most certainly entitled to your opinion and expressing it. There is no need to be demeaning or patronizing.

I do my part in supporting auto workers - all of my previous cars were north amercian made and 3 of the 4 made in Ontario.

I just purchased my second Edge and in the last 2 years - 4 Edges have been bought in the family.

So let's just agree to disagree and move on.

I have to agree with edgy girl. Your posts often come across as atagonistic, general. You have every right to your opinion but it might be accepted better if worded more politely.

People like edgy girl are trying to help people outside of the auto industry understand what we fight for, being rude and insulting her is not the way to get people to support us. It will have the oposite effect which does not help any of us. I would like to say thank you to edgy girl and people like her who are trying to educate others on what being an auto worker really entails.

We could accomplish so much more if the US and Canadian autoworkers supported each other instead of fighting amongst ourselves. I would rather see everyone get good contracts then anyone get a bad contract. The company will continue to play us off each other for as long as we let them so it is up to us to learn to stand together so the company is unable to do that anymore. That would be one step in helping us regain the things we have lost over the last few years, as I'm sure we would all like to see, at some point in the future.

• Like 1

Luckily - I am well employed in the financial sector.

Just so you know... I spend a lot time defending auto workers amongst some of the conservative financial types that I work with.

You guys/gals do work hard, and I don't think I could do it for more than hour.

I believe we need good paying jobs like the auto sector to sustain the middle class and its consumerism.

The world global economic market has changed manufacturing across the world. The playing field is being levelled.

I have seen family business gets wiped out because of competition from chinese manufacturing.

I am more for you than against you.

I just didn't like the WAY you responded to other posts. You are most certainly entitled to your opinion and expressing it. There is no need to be demeaning or patronizing.

I do my part in supporting auto workers - all of my previous cars were north amercian made and 3 of the 4 made in Ontario.

I just purchased my second Edge and in the last 2 years - 4 Edges have been bought in the family.

So let's just agree to disagree and move on.

Glad you buy American but, Are you a ford employee...cause this is for EMPLOYEES

I do know who this forum is for..

I refrained for a couple of days to mind my business..

But I felt the general was rude to trimoac - and I felt someone needed to push back a little... so I did..

I usually keep my trolling to the general discussion forums, but with CAW talks.. I wanted to see what employees were thinking..

I will go back to minding my own business...

We could accomplish so much more if the US and Canadian autoworkers supported each other instead of fighting amongst ourselves. I would rather see everyone get good contracts then anyone get a bad contract. The company will continue to play us off each other for as long as we let them so it is up to us to learn to stand together so the company is unable to do that anymore. That would be one step in helping us regain the things we have lost over the last few years, as I'm sure we would all like to see, at some point in the future.

We here in canada do support the efforts of the UAW we just go about business differently here.

the whip sawing has to stop or race to bottom will continue.

make a stand next contract and we will all succeed.

reason our contract is 4 years this time is so we dont negotiate at same time to compete against you next set of negotiations.

good luck in 3 years.

Edited by Pinkly Taurus

We here in canada do support the efforts of the UAW we just go about business differently here.

the whip sawing has to stop or race to bottom will continue.

make a stand next contract and we will all succeed.

reason our contract is 4 tears this time is so we dont negotiate at same time to compete against you next set of negotiations.

good luck in 3 years.

That is my point exactly. I work in oac and I remember last year during uaw negotiations, we were all hoping to see them get some of the concessions back. We don't want to see our fellow autoworkers in the US get a bad deal, we want all of us to get good deals.

Plus you are completely right, our contract is 4 years so Ford can continue to play the uaw and caw off each other. The only way that will stop is for both the uaw and caw to not let them do it. We need to stand together and make sure the company knows it.

Do you have any info on the "Partial" 3rd shift. Exactly what does a "Partial" 3rd shift mean? Would it be Body Shop adding a 3rd shift? or something else? And when (best guess) would you expect it to happen???