'87 Mustang 400 hp, 100+ mph 0-60 in 3 sec and 110 mpg

Mark B. Morrow

They had a news clip of this guy today on the local news channel. His Mustangs are sweet looking. Apparently everything is true, they even showed him driving the car and a decent launch from a stop. It's a regular push rod and carb motor. I guess this is the "100mpg Carb" that's been sitting in a basement.

They had a news clip of this guy today on the local news channel. His Mustangs are sweet looking. Apparently everything is true, they even showed him driving the car and a decent launch from a stop. It's a regular push rod and carb motor. I guess this is the "100mpg Carb" that's been sitting in a basement.

The article says he increased the engine's efficiency to 38%. As much as I hope its true, I'm calling shenanigans. But I really, really hope its not.

Someone at my former employer claimed they knew a guy who gets free Caddys for life because he had a 59 Caddy that got 100 mpg back in the 60s. Caddy supposedly guaranteed him new cars for the rest of his life if he gave them the car back. I didn't believe the guy at the time, and I'm not sure I believe this guy either - we'll see when he reveals his technologies.

BTW: If this is true, OPEC will be mad.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=333&sid=3671720 <-- Video is here

Edited by SVT_MAN

That Mustang made the news this morning in Sacramento, CA.

They claim the guy wouldn'y open the hood or give any technical details because his secret was Patent Pending status.

On the KCRA segment, several people were involved, not just one guy.

At least he's American!

At least he's American!

Go back and look at the patent books and you'll see how many are american/canadian/european, how many are japanese? exactly!

They can reverse engineer and then with the help of slave labour undercut the very ones who invented something, but "invent" something? please!

If something is too good though.....

Be cool if it was true, fuck opec and all the greedy speculators.

I'm not going to debate wether this guy has done it or not, just make a statement about internal combustion engine efficiency. Most of the efficiency of an internal combustion engine is lost to heat. If he developed a way to recover some of that lost heat, he could very well have a highly efficient powerplant. Most of what you'd really need is already there. There's a pump, a water jacket and a heat source. If you can close the loop and build a little steam turbine to recover the thermal energy from the steam, you can power a generator that can work in a hybrid system to keep the batteries charged and power an electric motor that's working in parallel with the gas motor. Heck, jsut tooling down the highway, you could practically idle the gasoline motor and still produce enough heat to power the steam turbine enough to provide enough electricity to the electric motor to keep moving at the speed limit on flat land. I know multiple conversions are inefficient, but, I'd use a hybrid system to take advantage of regenerative braking to improve city mileage as well.

I'm not going to debate whether this guy has done it or not, just make a statement about internal combustion engine efficiency. Most of the efficiency of an internal combustion engine is lost to heat. If he developed a way to recover some of that lost heat, he could very well have a highly efficient powerplant. Most of what you'd really need is already there. There's a pump, a water jacket and a heat source. If you can close the loop and build a little steam turbine to recover the thermal energy from the steam, you can power a generator that can work in a hybrid system to keep the batteries charged and power an electric motor that's working in parallel with the gas motor. Heck, just tooling down the highway, you could practically idle the gasoline motor and still produce enough heat to power the steam turbine enough to provide enough electricity to the electric motor to keep moving at the speed limit on flat land. I know multiple conversions are inefficient, but, I'd use a hybrid system to take advantage of regenerative braking to improve city mileage as well.

You may be on to something, he did say it's "all in the electronics". People talk about how E85 isn't efficient and yadda yadda, but if they can develop cars & trucks with even half of what this guy claim for fuel efficiency, we wouldn't need as much E85 as we would now...