Three month old order sitting in USOB

fmorriso

Got a call from my dealer around 5 PM with news that the vehicle is supposed to be built the week of 9/8/2008.

I wasn't going to bump my VIN tracking request again until 9/2/2008 (weekly updates), but in light of the call from the dealer, I bumped it up to see what additional dates have been generated since the first three were generated back on 8/14/2008.

Who knows? If it has a Blend Date, that should trigger the generation of the window sticker PDF.

Edited by fmorriso

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a call from my dealer around 5 PM with news that the vehicle is supposed to be built the week of 9/8/2008.

I wasn't going to bump my VIN tracking request again until 9/2/2008 (weekly updates), but in light of the call from the dealer, I bumped it up to see what additional dates have been generated since the first three were generated back on 8/14/2008.

Who knows? If it has a Blend Date, that should trigger the generation of the window sticker PDF.

The only change in status is the designation of a Sequence Date of 8/28/2008.

If the dealer is correct, the Blend Date and Produced Date will each have to happen in fairly short order to meet his estimate of production the week of 9/8/2008.

If the dealer is correct, the Blend Date and Produced Date will each have to happen in fairly short order to meet his estimate of production the week of 9/8/2008.

I sent you a pm with info on a dealer in central Florida that has more than one feh in stock if you are willing to take a "road trip"..

I now have a Blend Date of 9/4/2008 as of 1 AM on 9/6/2008.

My dealer told me back on August 29th that my vehicle would be built sometime during the week of September 8-12. I hope that a Blend Date of 9/4/2008 is a positive indicator that the information provided by the dealer is accurate.

However, I have seen wildly varying gaps for similar 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid vehicles between Blend Date and Produced Date as shown in the examples below. Therefore, the most important unanswered question is: will the gap between my vehicle's Blend Date and Produced Date be measured in days or weeks? We won't know the answer until next week when I request another update on the VIN tracking forum.

1. VIN 1FMCU593X9KA24993, Blend Date: 7/23/2008, Produced Date: 8/18/2008, gap: 3.5 weeks
  2. VIN 1FMCU49379KA28414, Blend Date: 8/15/2008, Produced Date: 9/2/2008, gap: 2.5 weeks
  3. VIN 1FMCU59349KA11849, Blend Date: 7/9/2008, Produced Date: 7/17/2008, gap: 8 days
  4. VIN 1FMCU59369KA32265, Blend Date: 8/14/2008, Produced Date: 8/22/2008, gap: 8 days
  5. VIN 1FMCU49389KA25134, Blend Date: 8/11/2008, Produced Date: 8/20/2008, gap: 9 days
  6. VIN 1FMCU59389KA32266, Blend Date: 8/15/2008, Produced Date: 8/26/2008, gap: 11 days
  7. VIN 1FMCU49339KA32332, Blend Date: 8/15/2008, Produced Date: 8/27/2008, gap: 12 days
  8. VIN 1FMCU49399KA25045, Blend Date: 7/24/2008, Produced Date: 8/19/2008, gap: 3.5 weeks
  9. VIN 1FMCU49309KA08344, Blend Date: 7/1/2008, Produced Date: 7/11/2008, gap: 10 days
  10. VIN 1FMCU49389KA28616, Blend Date: 8/14/2008, Produced Date: 8/24/2008, gap: 10 days

Edited by fmorriso

I now have a Blend Date of 9/4/2008 as of 1 AM on 9/6/2008.

My dealer told me back on August 29th that my vehicle would be built sometime during the week of September 8-12. I hope that a Blend Date of 9/4/2008 is a positive indicator that the information provided by the dealer is accurate.

However, I have seen wildly varying gaps for similar 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid vehicles between Blend Date and Produced Date as shown in the examples below. Therefore, the most important unanswered question is: will the gap between my vehicle's Blend Date and Produced Date be measured in days or weeks? We won't know the answer until next week when I request another update on the VIN tracking forum.

1. VIN 1FMCU593X9KA24993, Blend Date: 7/23/2008, Produced Date: 8/18/2008, gap: 3.5 weeks
  2. VIN 1FMCU49379KA28414, Blend Date: 8/15/2008, Produced Date: 9/2/2008, gap: 2.5 weeks
  3. VIN 1FMCU59349KA11849, Blend Date: 7/9/2008, Produced Date: 7/17/2008, gap: 8 days
  4. VIN 1FMCU59369KA32265, Blend Date: 8/14/2008, Produced Date: 8/22/2008, gap: 8 days
  5. VIN 1FMCU49389KA25134, Blend Date: 8/11/2008, Produced Date: 8/20/2008, gap: 9 days
  6. VIN 1FMCU59389KA32266, Blend Date: 8/15/2008, Produced Date: 8/26/2008, gap: 11 days
  7. VIN 1FMCU49339KA32332, Blend Date: 8/15/2008, Produced Date: 8/27/2008, gap: 12 days
  8. VIN 1FMCU49399KA25045, Blend Date: 7/24/2008, Produced Date: 8/19/2008, gap: 3.5 weeks
  9. VIN 1FMCU49309KA08344, Blend Date: 7/1/2008, Produced Date: 7/11/2008, gap: 10 days
  10. VIN 1FMCU49389KA28616, Blend Date: 8/14/2008, Produced Date: 8/24/2008, gap: 10 days

On your window sticker, there is a "number" on the top left hand side. This is actually a date. For yours it is "120080910" - if you look at other peoples progress, no one has had theirs built prior to the day after this date. And since the plant re-opening it has been more like three to five days (mine was 8/17 and was built on 8/20). Hope this helps.

On your window sticker, there is a "number" on the top left hand side. This is actually a date. For yours it is "120080910" - if you look at other peoples progress, no one has had theirs built prior to the day after this date. And since the plant re-opening it has been more like three to five days (mine was 8/17 and was built on 8/20). Hope this helps.

Thanks. Using the information you provided, that means it might be built between 9/11 and 9/17. I'll know more once I get another update from ViperPilot, which I probably won't request until late afternoon on Friday, 9/12.

Edited by fmorriso

Thanks. Using the information you provided, that means it might be built between 9/11 and 9/17. I'll know more once I get another update from ViperPilot, which I probably won't request until late afternoon on Friday, 9/12.

My dealer says that my April 21 order is subject to the August 1 price increases, which makes my vehicle $1030 more expensive now than if it had been manufactured when it should have been (week starting June 23). Naturally, I disagree, but he pointed to the words "estimated price" on the buyers order as his out.

Since I don't want the dealer to sell the vehicle out from under me when it finally arrives, I'm going to use small claims court to see if I can recover the difference between the price that was agreed on vs. what he now wants to charge. It'll only cost me a small filing fee and will go on the dealers permanent public record that he was taken to court.

Edited by fmorriso

My dealer says that my April 21 order is subject to the August 1 price increases, which makes my vehicle $1030 more expensive now than if it had been manufactured when it should have been (week starting June 23). Naturally, I disagree, but he pointed to the words "estimated price" on the buyers order as his out.

Since I don't want the dealer to sell the vehicle out from under me when it finally arrives, I'm going to use small claims court to see if I can recover the difference between the price that was agreed on vs. what he now wants to charge. It'll only cost me a small filing fee and will go on the dealers permanent public record that he was taken to court.

The dealer's invoice price should have been price protected (all retail orders submitted prior to August 1st were). While my window sticker reflected the new MSRP on mine - our original negotiated price was honored (we never even discussed the price increase). My build date August 20th. This might be a legitimate thing to take up with Ford customer service.

That stinks man...best of luck on getting that corrected.

That stinks man...best of luck on getting that corrected.

I'm also trying to get an X-plan PIN, for whatever that's worth at this point. I've thought about getting one earlier, but since they're only good for 30 days, I've held off on requesting one until late yesterday. According to the window sticker, if my vehicle is built around 9/10/2008 as it shows, a X-plan PIN should still be good when it goes through "Gate Release", shipping, dealer prep and finally, delivery to me.

The way I figure it, if the dealer wants to play "games" with the price, so can I (via the X-plan PIN - assuming I even get one).

I'm going to have fun with this "pricing game" and not let it detract from the overall enjoyment of the FEHL when I take ownership, hopefully around then end of this month. :shades:

I picked up my 09 Mariner V6 Premier on Saturday. I had two options at that time in regard to pricing:

1) Stick with the original price that I signed for when I ordered (end of July) which was before the price increase and with a $500 rebate

2) Use the current pricing with the $1000 rebate now being offered.

Option two was about $150 less than option 1, so I chose option 2. I did have X-plan, and it seems that the price increase was not as great on those numbers as it was on the MSRP numbers as listed in another thread.

On the back of my "yellow sheet" factory order sales agreement it states:

6. Price Changes

(a) THE TOTAL CASH PRICE DELIVERED LESS THE TRADE-IN ALLOWANCE SHOWN ON THE FRONT OF THIS AGREEMENT IS THE FINAL CONTRACT PRICE TO WHICH I HAVE AGREED, AND, IF THE VEHICLE IS A NEW MOTOR VEHICLE, NO ADDITIONAL FEE OR CHARGE WILL BE IMPOSED OR COLLECTED DUE TO CHANGES IN THE MANUFACTURER'S LIST PRICE, OR CHANGES IN THE COST OF FREIGHT OR SERVICES PROVIDED BY YOU.http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/redcard.gif

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/style...ult/redcard.gif

On the back of my "yellow sheet" factory order sales agreement it states:

6. Price Changes

(a) THE TOTAL CASH PRICE DELIVERED LESS THE TRADE-IN ALLOWANCE SHOWN ON THE FRONT OF THIS AGREEMENT IS THE FINAL CONTRACT PRICE TO WHICH I HAVE AGREED, AND, IF THE VEHICLE IS A NEW MOTOR VEHICLE, NO ADDITIONAL FEE OR CHARGE WILL BE IMPOSED OR COLLECTED DUE TO CHANGES IN THE MANUFACTURER'S LIST PRICE, OR CHANGES IN THE COST OF FREIGHT OR SERVICES PROVIDED BY YOU.http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/redcard.gif

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/style...ult/redcard.gif

My Buyers Order doesn't have the same wording for item #6 as yours does.

The following seem most applicable to the pricing "issue":

#1. With respect to new vehicle orders, if the manufacturer/distributor changes the suggested retail price of the ordered vehicle or equipment, or substantially modifies the ordered vehicle design/equipment, or does not manufacture or distribute the ordered vehicle, Dealer may cancel this order or change the vehicle price accordingly. If the price is increased by Dealer, Purchaser may cancel this order. .....

#12. The total price set for on this Buyer's Order is the final price and the terms are the result of negotiation, and in lieu of all offers, public or private, provided however that if this transaction involved Dealer-arranged financing, and there is a price discrepancy between this Buyer's Order and an installment Sale Contract, the Installment Sale Contract shall take precedence.

#13. Any amount marked as an "estimate" on this Buyer's Order is based on the best information available to Dealer and is subject to change when the true amount is determined. Purchaser agrees to such changes in the terms hereof as may be necessary to reflect the correction of any such estimate.

I'm guessing that item #13 is what the dealer is relying upon to pass along the $1030 price increase. The salesman didn't point it out specifically, but it's not much of a stretch to imagine that's what he's thinking.

Like I said before, it won't cost me much to take them to Small Claims Court. Even if I lose, it's still worth doing, in my estimation.

I'm also trying to get an X-plan PIN, for whatever that's worth at this point. I've thought about getting one earlier, but since they're only good for 30 days, I've held off on requesting one until late yesterday. According to the window sticker, if my vehicle is built around 9/10/2008 as it shows, a X-plan PIN should still be good when it goes through "Gate Release", shipping, dealer prep and finally, delivery to me.

The way I figure it, if the dealer wants to play "games" with the price, so can I (via the X-plan PIN - assuming I even get one).

I'm going to have fun with this "pricing game" and not let it detract from the overall enjoyment of the FEHL when I take ownership, hopefully around then end of this month. :shades:

Good luck with that but keep in mind that dealers do not have to allow xplan purchases. I have heard of many dealers not allow xplan on certain vehicles. Also...I am not sure why your xplan pin is only good for 30 days. Mine was good for a year. I had one when I was going to order an '08 last year and then it expired and I got a new one for my '09 purchase. I had it for over 6 months when I finalized my deal on my FEHL.

My Buyers Order doesn't have the same wording for item #6 as yours does.

The following seem most applicable to the pricing "issue":

#1. With respect to new vehicle orders, if the manufacturer/distributor changes the suggested retail price of the ordered vehicle or equipment, or substantially modifies the ordered vehicle design/equipment, or does not manufacture or distribute the ordered vehicle, Dealer may cancel this order or change the vehicle price accordingly. If the price is increased by Dealer, Purchaser may cancel this order. .....

#12. The total price set for on this Buyer's Order is the final price and the terms are the result of negotiation, and in lieu of all offers, public or private, provided however that if this transaction involved Dealer-arranged financing, and there is a price discrepancy between this Buyer's Order and an installment Sale Contract, the Installment Sale Contract shall take precedence.

#13. Any amount marked as an "estimate" on this Buyer's Order is based on the best information available to Dealer and is subject to change when the true amount is determined. Purchaser agrees to such changes in the terms hereof as may be necessary to reflect the correction of any such estimate.

I'm guessing that item #13 is what the dealer is relying upon to pass along the $1030 price increase. The salesman didn't point it out specifically, but it's not much of a stretch to imagine that's what he's thinking.

Like I said before, it won't cost me much to take them to Small Claims Court. Even if I lose, it's still worth doing, in my estimation.

I would ask your dealer about Ford's stated price protection for orders placed prior to August 1. If the dealer's cost hasn't gone up - then yours shouldn't either. Otherwise it is the dealer that is just trying to get an additional $1,030 out of you.

I would ask your dealer about Ford's stated price protection for orders placed prior to August 1. If the dealer's cost hasn't gone up - then yours shouldn't either. Otherwise it is the dealer that is just trying to get an additional $1,030 out of you.

Once I can see the official Dealer Invoice, showing A-plan and X-Plan pricing, I'm going to request the x-Plan price and see what happens. I got the x-Plan PIN yesterday. The worst that can happen is he says no to the original price and/or no to X-Plan pricing. At least I'll have asked.

The way I figure it, I'll give the dealer every opportunity to do the right thing before I bring the hammer down on him (legally speaking that is).

No matter what, I refuse to let this take away from my enjoyment of the vehicle (when I get it) nor will I let it detract from my admiration and respect for the men and women who build them at KCAP.

Now where did I put that hammer .... :stats:

I left a message this morning with my salesman asking about using the X-Plan PIN I obtained last night.

Shortly before 4 PM, the General Sales Manager called and told me that I cannot use the X-Plan PIN. A little surprised that the salesman didn't call me himself, I quickly turned to "Plan B". I politely and calmly asked him if he knew the correct spelling of the owner's name. He said no, he didn't. I told him not to worry. I can probably get it elsewhere and only need it to fill in the Small Claims Court form accurately. He became very angry and threatened to not sell me the vehicle. In a loud, angry voice, he yelled that I have to pay the extra $1030 or they will sell the vehicle to somebody else who will gladly pay a lot more than sticker to get it. Sensing that I was the only adult engaged in that particular conversation, in as calm a manner as I could (in stark contrast to the near rage of the GSM), I told him I was still interested in the vehicle and that there was nothing for him to worry about regarding any court action I might undertake. I ended the conversation at that point as quickly and politely as I could.

Afterwards, I guessed that the GSM must have been surprised to hear that I had the temerity to think I have any legal options when it comes to trying to recoup the $1030 which I feel I'm being overcharged. I tried asking them to sell me the vehicle at the agreed upon price from April. They said no. I asked for discount financing through Ford Credit to help mitigate the extra charges. They said no. That leaves me with the Small Claims Court option. Who knows, the Small Claims Court judge could find in favor of the dealer and they still win. I wonder what they're afraid of that would make someone so angry they would actually threaten (like a whiny child) to "take their toy [the vehicle] and go home"? It helps to have a sense of humor about these things.

Not that I expect anything to come of it, but I did document the whole "telephone experience" in a letter on its way to Ford Customer Relationship Center in Dearborn by Express Mail. If it matters to Ford how their dealers treat customers on the phone, I suppose something will be done about this issue. If it's no big deal to Ford, I'm sure my letter will end up in "the round file".

Stay tuned.

Edited by fmorriso

You need to go to the local 6pm news about your dealer and trying to purchase a hybrid vehicle. If the news will question your local dealer, I'm sure he will understand his big mistake real fast. If I heard a story like yours where a dealer is price changing, I'd go somewhere else.

I left a message this morning with my salesman asking about using the X-Plan PIN I obtained last night.

Shortly before 4 PM, the General Sales Manager called and told me that I cannot use the X-Plan PIN. A little surprised that the salesman didn't call me himself, I quickly turned to "Plan B". I politely and calmly asked him if he knew the correct spelling of the owner's name. He said no, he didn't. I told him not to worry. I can probably get it elsewhere and only need it to fill in the Small Claims Court form accurately. He became very angry and threatened to not sell me the vehicle. In a loud, angry voice, he yelled that I have to pay the extra $1030 or they will sell the vehicle to somebody else who will gladly pay a lot more than sticker to get it. Sensing that I was the only adult engaged in that particular conversation, in as calm a manner as I could (in stark contrast to the near rage of the GSM), I told him I was still interested in the vehicle and that there was nothing for him to worry about regarding any court action I might undertake. I ended the conversation at that point as quickly and politely as I could.

Afterwards, I guessed that the GSM must have been surprised to hear that I had the temerity to think I have any legal options when it comes to trying to recoup the $1030 which I feel I'm being overcharged. I tried asking them to sell me the vehicle at the agreed upon price from April. They said no. I asked for discount financing through Ford Credit to help mitigate the extra charges. They said no. That leaves me with the Small Claims Court option. Who knows, the Small Claims Court judge could find in favor of the dealer and they still win. I wonder what they're afraid of that would make someone so angry they would actually threaten (like a whiny child) to "take their toy [the vehicle] and go home"? It helps to have a sense of humor about these things.

Not that I expect anything to come of it, but I did document the whole "telephone experience" in a letter on its way to Ford Customer Relationship Center in Dearborn by Express Mail. If it matters to Ford how their dealers treat customers on the phone, I suppose something will be done about this issue. If it's no big deal to Ford, I'm sure my letter will end up in "the round file".

Stay tuned.

All I can say is I have experience with going to court over a similar issue and most of your money will end up with a lawyer. So is it really worth fighting?

Sounds like the dealer is well within their rights here. You have no case and now you've pissed off the dealer to the point where they probably won't sell you the vehicle anyway. I know I wouldn't. It's not worth the future hassle.

Interesting point of view you have. Maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake when it comes to Customer Relationship Management (CRM), so maybe you can help me out by answering these questions.

1. Is screaming at them over the telephone the best way to win new customers?
  2. How many times during the sales cycle would you recommend that a salesperson scream at the customer? Once? Twice? More?
  3. How much more revenue accrues to a business that makes screaming at their customers a regular part of the sales cycle?
  4. How many word-of-mouth referrals does screaming at the customer generate?
  5. How much extra repeat business does screaming at the customer generate?
  6. Are there other techniques in addition to screaming that help make the "blame the customer for everything" an even better sales technique?
  7. Where are all the books with titles like "Scream Your Way To Sales Success" at Border's and other book stores? I looked and couldn't find any.

I look forward to being educated by you or any other business man or women who has successfully implemented the "scream and yell at your customer" technique.

Interesting point of view you have. Maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake when it comes to Customer Relationship Management (CRM), so maybe you can help me out by answering these questions.

I think your dealer screwed you on the order due to allocation issues or other issues between the dealer and Ford. It's never a good idea to scream at customers, but sometimes a customer deserves it.

Ignoring whatever happened between April and August, here is what you did:

After negotiating a price and a contract in April, you waited until August (at least 4 months) to even mention X plan. Not only is this against the X plan rules but it's also not fair to the dealer.

After learning of the price increase you asked the dealer to discount it which the dealer declined. This is perfectly within the dealer's rights based on your purchase contract. At which point you threatened to sue the dealer and call the BBB.

Your options were to pay the new price (per your contract) or cancel the order and go somewhere else.

I worked in retail sales for several years while I was in school. There are certain customers who aren't worth the trouble they create just for one sale. You are one of those customers, whether you believe it or not.

I'd say you and the dealer deserve each other.

After negotiating a price and a contract in April, you waited until August (at least 4 months) to even mention X plan. Not only is this against the X plan rules but it's also not fair to the dealer.

I believe he only began to seek the XPlan price as an alternative to the $1030 price increase.

If the dealer has to pay the extra, it is fair to pass that along to the consumer.

However, as many have said here, the dealer was not subject to the additional cost.

Since the price was already established, that is in my estimation, shitty.

Yes, working in customer service sucks. I was a server for 7 years through high school and college. I dealt with people I WANTED to scream at every day.

I also manage the assignment desk at a major market television station. We field every single incoming call to the newsroom, on top of our primary duties. I want to scream at people, but I don't. That is NOT effective customer service.

To the OP: PM me with what city you're in. I could try to get one of our affiliates to look into this. Sometimes, one call from a stations "I-Team" is all it takes....

I believe he only began to seek the XPlan price as an alternative to the $1030 price increase.

No, he said he waited because he thought there was a 30 day limit on the PIN. He could have told the dealer up front that he was planning to use X plan even though he wouldn't get the PIN until later.

If the dealer has to pay the extra, it is fair to pass that along to the consumer.

However, as many have said here, the dealer was not subject to the additional cost.

Since the price was already established, that is in my estimation, shitty.

But we don't know whether that specific vehicle was price protected or not - it depends on whether the order was tagged as a retail order or not. It's also possible that the dealer was simply covering their butts and if the vehicle arrived with the old invoice price that they would honor the original price. And even if they were jacking up the price they were well within their rights to do so based on the purchase agreement.

I'm not saying the dealership did the right thing or handled it the right way. But I don't think they did anything wrong either from a legal standpoint.

If you don't like the deal - walk away. Neither side is under any obligation to complete the sale. Threatening to sue just because you aren't happy with the deal is ridiculous.

I also manage the assignment desk at a major market television station. We field every single incoming call to the newsroom, on top of our primary duties. I want to scream at people, but I don't. That is NOT effective customer service.

I agree. I didn't say it was right, just understandable.

I think your dealer screwed you on the order due to allocation issues or other issues between the dealer and Ford. It's never a good idea to scream at customers, but sometimes a customer deserves it.

Ignoring whatever happened between April and August, here is what you did:

After learning of the price increase you asked the dealer to discount it which the dealer declined. This is perfectly within the dealer's rights based on your purchase contract. At which point you threatened to sue the dealer and call the BBB.

Your options were to pay the new price (per your contract) or cancel the order and go somewhere else.

I worked in retail sales for several years while I was in school. There are certain customers who aren't worth the trouble they create just for one sale. You are one of those customers, whether you believe it or not.

I'd say you and the dealer deserve each other.

This attitude fits perfectly with the entire Ford customer service philosophy!

If you don't already work for them, you should consider it!

Sean