i wanted to buy a Flex......honest

annoying sometimes yes, but gives a great release for pent up sarcasm..........

How about this for sarcasm.

I really enjoyed reading page after page of I like sliding doors - I dont like sliding doors so on and so on added to so on. Like them or hate them personal opinion, buy a vehicle or don't buy a vehicle personal choice

But quit argueing of the frikkin doors. :banghead:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about this for sarcasm.

I really enjoyed reading page after page of I like sliding doors - I dont like sliding doors so on and so on added to so on. Like them or hate them personal opinion, buy a vehicle or don't buy a vehicle personal choice

But quit argueing of the frikkin doors. :banghead:

doesn"t bother me either way, decision has been made, Ford did what they did for a reason, probably due to research and target groups, critiques and feedback...FACT is there is a reason they went the way they did, did they aleinate some to appese others? probably, but I can bet they did what they did based an the BIG picture.....something SOME here find hard to comprehend........and Ron, take a chill pill.......don't bitch and then say ( sarcasm I presume ) you ENJOYED the diatribe....LOL!

serious notes...we all know the importance of fuel economy and where it sits in peoples minds of late...so here goes...and PLEASE note the vehicles Ford considers competition for the Flex....average fuel savings compared w Tahoe, Expedition, Sequuoia, Escalade, Yukon @ Hummer???...$1196 yr. Exporer, pathfinder, 4 runner, Cherokee, Lexus RX350...$615, and just for giggles Pilot, odyssey & Lexus RX350 $262.....it also gets better HWY mileage than TheLexus RX 400 hybrid.........so lets harp on the "miserable" mileage the COMPETITION gets for a change...LOL!

For everyone bitching about the lack of sliders...well the lack of sliders sure as hell didn't have any impact on the sales of millions of Explorers and other SUV's out there in the Mid-1990's...which market grew and which market shrunk in the same period of time? Here's a hint...it wasn't SUV's and currently it doesn't look like people are flocking to Minivans even with higher gas prices...

There is no way I want my son slamming the rear car door into the side of my 67 Galaxie in the garage.

Wow you are an idiot...your son won't be able to do that now by swinging the door open on the GM :stirpot::finger::redcard:

Maybe if you told/showed him how to open a door on a car carefully you won't have to worry about that

Your friends with kids who are in the target market for the Flex (minivan buyers) are wrong. The arm-chair CEOs on BON said so.

Apparently, I mistyped my post somehow. Let me try a different, simpler approach.

Ford is not targeting the Flex at the minivan market

They fully expected shoppers like MGolden to go elsewhere.

Ford is targeting the likes of RX-series and M-Class buyers, and, like Deanh pointed out, hopefully getting a few people bailing out of their current mid-to-large SUVs as well.

Apparently, I mistyped my post somehow. Let me try a different, simpler approach.

Ford is targeting the likes of RX-series and M-Class buyers, and, like Deanh pointed out, hopefully getting a few people bailing out of their current mid-to-large SUVs as well.

I agree...however there will be some mini-van customers tempted....I think they should just be considered gravy....

If you believe that people are going to cross shop a Lexus and Mercedes with some lowly Ford, you are grossly mistaken.

If you believe that people are going to cross shop a Lexus and Mercedes with some lowly Ford, you are grossly mistaken.

I didn't say I was targeting them. Maybe you should take a look at the Flex site and advertising I pointed out way back there in my first post on this thread.

• 5 weeks later...
I quite often get rental minivans at work so i took one home not long ago. We strapped in the car seats and ran it around a few days after work before it had to be returned. After getting back into the Expedition, it was quickly apparent how much easier it is to have kids ride in a minivan. From the rear seat access, to the sliding doors when parked beside other cars; cargo room and more, It was superior in all things functionally. It was time to replace my Expedition with another baby mover. We went and drove the Flex and really fell in love with it. It is by far the nicest inside-out Ford product i have ever seen. I encourage everyone to go visit one at a dealer. I sat down at a dealer and worked out a model i could afford and left it at that. After talking with my wife, we both agreed that it would functionally be the same as our Expy. There is just no way around the convenience of a minivan for access. I could have lived without the extra room behhind the third seat. The rear seat access is comparable if you get the buckets in the middle row. The one thing that was the hangup was the sliding doors. We ended up getting a used minivan and I am not sorry. After going to the store and getting the kids and a carseat out of the vehicle I reallized how great the sliders are.

I realize Ford claims that the Flex was not targeted at minivan people, however it is a people mover. I really wish this thing had sliders, no matter how small they would be, it would be easier for everyone to access the vehicle. If it did I would be driving around in a cool baby mover.........

Are there still plans of a Lincoln version? Initially it was leaked that the lincoln version would have different access, though i doubt it would be sliders.

Just some thoughts.

-Matt

If you want sliders, just wait until the 2010 Explorer comes out. The one displayed that the 2007 (2008?) NAIS had sliders. AND it will have the option of a 4 or 6 cyl EB

Edited by DUCKRACER

I quite often get rental minivans at work so i took one home not long ago. We strapped in the car seats and ran it around a few days after work before it had to be returned. After getting back into the Expedition, it was quickly apparent how much easier it is to have kids ride in a minivan. From the rear seat access, to the sliding doors when parked beside other cars; cargo room and more, It was superior in all things functionally. It was time to replace my Expedition with another baby mover. We went and drove the Flex and really fell in love with it. It is by far the nicest inside-out Ford product i have ever seen. I encourage everyone to go visit one at a dealer. I sat down at a dealer and worked out a model i could afford and left it at that. After talking with my wife, we both agreed that it would functionally be the same as our Expy. There is just no way around the convenience of a minivan for access. I could have lived without the extra room behhind the third seat. The rear seat access is comparable if you get the buckets in the middle row. The one thing that was the hangup was the sliding doors. We ended up getting a used minivan and I am not sorry. After going to the store and getting the kids and a carseat out of the vehicle I reallized how great the sliders are.

I realize Ford claims that the Flex was not targeted at minivan people, however it is a people mover. I really wish this thing had sliders, no matter how small they would be, it would be easier for everyone to access the vehicle. If it did I would be driving around in a cool baby mover.........

Are there still plans of a Lincoln version? Initially it was leaked that the lincoln version would have different access, though i doubt it would be sliders.

Just some thoughts.

-Matt

What kind of minivan did you buy? Freestar? Windstar? Monterey? You stayed with ford right?

If you want sliders, just wait until the 2010 Explorer comes out. The one displayed that the 2007 (2008?) NAIS had sliders. AND it will have the option of a 4 or 6 cyl EB

I highly doubt those sliders will make production. The engines seem somewhat more realistic though, albeit at slightly lower power levels than the concept.

I highly doubt those sliders will make production. The engines seem somewhat more realistic though, albeit at slightly lower power levels than the concept.

Good point. Along the same lines I hope most of the interior does NOT make it to production. If I wanted a rubber coated inside, I'd buy a Honda Element. I hope we get the option to get carpet and leather seats and analog guages.

Good point. Along the same lines I hope most of the interior does NOT make it to production. If I wanted a rubber coated inside, I'd buy a Honda Element. I hope we get the option to get carpet and leather seats and analog guages.

In the end I think it will end up being a lot more like the current Explorer as far as creature comforts are concerned.

Well, why didn't ya say so pages ago? THAT makes sense DRIVING customers away....sheesh.

Sounds like the sales strategy for the :redcard: 's, hmmm?

Dang it! I waded through 110 posts to see if anyone was going to mention that. There goes my chance to stir the pot. My own excitement upon seeing the next Explorer was dampened a bit when I saw the doors. My first thought: I don't want an off road mini-van. I really think they were simply checking customer reaction to the idea. It does beg the question..why in the world would you consider sliders for an off-roader and not the Flex? Maybe the perception of the "mini-van stigma" has dissipated since the Flex was designed.

My first thought: I don't want an off road mini-van. I really think they were simply checking customer reaction to the idea. It does beg the question..why in the world would you consider sliders for an off-roader and not the Flex?

Huh? People lost the off-road ability with the Explorer when they went with IRS. Most people I've seen use an Explorer off-roading are using the 1st & 2nd Gen Explorer. These people have been dissappointed with the Explorer since the 3rd Gen. was introduced in 2002.

Huh? People lost the off-road ability with the Explorer when they went with IRS. Most people I've seen use an Explorer off-roading are using the 1st & 2nd Gen Explorer. These people have been dissappointed with the Explorer since the 3rd Gen. was introduced in 2002.

Those people don't make up most Explorer buyers though. The current model, aside from the ugly snout, is the nicest Explorer I've been in by a long shot in my opinion.

We had a 1995 XLT many moons ago. After driving that one often, I can see why they were prone to rolling over. They felt ridiculously unstable compared to the current ones. The driver's seat was uber-comfortable though, I remember that much. :)

Those people don't make up most Explorer buyers though. The current model, aside from the ugly snout, is the nicest Explorer I've been in by a long shot in my opinion.

We had a 1995 XLT many moons ago. After driving that one often, I can see why they were prone to rolling over. They felt ridiculously unstable compared to the current ones. The driver's seat was uber-comfortable though, I remember that much. :)

Wasn't stating the off-road crowd was the majority or that this isn't the nicest Explorer ever. Was simply stating the Explorer since '02 hasn't been an option for the off-road crowd that povertyknob was referring to. So yes I know the current Explorer is more a soccer mom ride than an off-road guru's dream, was just countering the point from the off-road aspect.

Now compare the 1st & 2nd Gen Explorer to all mid-size SUV's out at the time and tell me they all weren't more prone to roll than the SUV's we have on the market today. The roll overs from the Firestone tires were overblown, as some S10 Blazers, 4Runners, Rangers and Tacomas rolled as well with these tires. These roll overs were more driver error than vehicle defects, as even 20/20 reported in a review after the recall was announced. They purposely blew out the tires and drove erratically and had a very tough time getting the Explorer on two wheels, let alone to almost roll. Basically 20/20 found it was the drivers knee jerk reactions. The driver even took his hands off the steering wheel when the tire blew a couple times and the Explorer continued straight with no signs of rolling.

My father (RIP) had a '96 Explorer and '02 Explorer and I had a '99 Explorer. Yeah, the '02 rode the best, had the most creature comforts, and was nicer overall than the 2nd Gen model, but that's what you usually get with newer and improved models. Now the '96 was the best off-roader, as my '99 was the 5.0 with AWD and that AWD just sucked in snow and true off-road conditions compared to the '96 true 4x4.

Now compare the 1st & 2nd Gen Explorer to all mid-size SUV's out at the time and tell me they all weren't more prone to roll than the SUV's we have on the market today. The roll overs from the Firestone tires were overblown, as some S10 Blazers, 4Runners, Rangers and Tacomas rolled as well with these tires. These roll overs were more driver error than vehicle defects, as even 20/20 reported in a review after the recall was announced. They purposely blew out the tires and drove erratically and had a very tough time getting the Explorer on two wheels, let alone to almost roll. Basically 20/20 found it was the drivers knee jerk reactions. The driver even took his hands off the steering wheel when the tire blew a couple times and the Explorer continued straight with no signs of rolling.

Oh I know the problem was overblown, but yeah, compared to newer SUV's, it really did handle pretty horribly. Even our old Chevy conversion van felt more stable at speed. :hysterical:

These roll overs were more driver error than vehicle defects, as even 20/20 reported in a review after the recall was announced. They purposely blew out the tires and drove erratically and had a very tough time getting the Explorer on two wheels, let alone to almost roll. Basically 20/20 found it was the drivers knee jerk reactions. The driver even took his hands off the steering wheel when the tire blew a couple times and the Explorer continued straight with no signs of rolling.

I remember seeing that too. Didn't they do one run where the driver slammed on the brakes and that did get it up on 2 wheels? That might have been another show but I remember seeing something like that too.

I remember seeing that too. Didn't they do one run where the driver slammed on the brakes and that did get it up on 2 wheels? That might have been another show but I remember seeing something like that too.

Yeah, a few decades ago 60min or some liberal POS show did that to GM trucks that had the fuel tanks outside of the frame rails. They showed the horrific fire explosion when a car t-boned a GM truck. Later it was revealed that they put a small incindiary device in the truck to make sure it exploded.

BTW FoMoCo trucks had their fuel tanks inside the frame rails for years before GM did.

Edited by DUCKRACER

Can't remember the entire review, but that sounds about right. I know they had an extremely hard time getting it on 2 wheels in these conditions.

Edited by V8-X