Detroit News: Mercury will Complement Lincoln

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the new small Mercury will be named Capri. Ford has allowed the Capri trademark to expire (a relatively rare occurrence for them), and while the Cougar trademark is still active, one can't quite imagine it as a good name for a compact Mercury.

What's weird is Ford still owns the Capri trademark as it relates to toy or model cars. If they let the TM expire on the real thing, why bother with toys? :shrug:

What's weird is Ford still owns the Capri trademark as it relates to toy or model cars. If they let the TM expire on the real thing, why bother with toys? :shrug:
Because they're still making the toys.

There's quite a few odd Ford trademark registrations. Like, for instance, the old shield with the chevron and the three lions--Ford still holds a trademark for that, but only for collectibles.

Ford used to keep the FoMoCo trademarks alive for collectibles, but they've dropped them.

1381880396_2f402a2646.jpg

Both the block letter and the I can't find it anywhere script in oval.

Tool-FoMoCoLogo.jpg

Oh wait, I found it.

The notion that Mercury is "only" known for big cars is not true.

The 1960 Comet saved the division from "going Edsel". It was nearly 50% of sales! Read it in Collectible Automobile.

Also, the Meteor, Cougar, Capri, Maverick based Comet, Bobcat, Monarch, Fox based Zepher, Topaz, Tracer, and Mystique brought in many buyers. Add in mid sized Montego, Cougar, Fox Marquis, and Sable, and they well out numbered old Granny Marq.

So, looks like its 1960 again, with a compact car saving Mercury.

Edited by 630land

I don't see BMW going down below the X3 anytime soon in terms of size or price...why would Lincoln be expected to, especially if they are trying to rebuild the brand's strength as a luxury--and not specifically just a value--leader?

BMW has the X1 well under way; it will be introduced in 2010. So yes, they are going down below the X3 in size and in price. Conflicting reports on whether it will be sold here, but the 1 Series is here, so it's not unthinkable.

BMW has the X1 well under way; it will be introduced in 2010. So yes, they are going down below the X3 in size and in price. Conflicting reports on whether it will be sold here, but the 1 Series is here, so it's not unthinkable.

From what I understand, the 1-series isn't exactly flying off of lots either. Doesn't bode well for an X1.

I like that idea. And it not starting with "M" makes it even better....

Yeah no more M's! I wouldnt mind Lynx either, only to bring the cat theme back in hopes that starts the process to get my Cougar.

Otherwise Comet is good to go with the Mercury as a planet theme.