Ford Passes GM First Time in 80 Years

For the first time in 80 years, Ford has passed GM in Revenue in this past quarter $38.6 billion to $38.2 billion for GM. Now one quarter does not mean Ford will pass GM in Revenue for the year, but if present trends continue as expected, Ford soon will consistently pass GM in Revenue on annual basis. With Ford passing GM in Market Cap last few months or so and now Revenue, one could argue that Ford is number one vehicle manufacturing company that is American based. Not a title to be especially proud of when you consider state of American manufacturing, but this is first time in 80 years that Ford has done it even ONE quarter.

For the first time in 80 years, Ford has passed GM in Revenue in this past quarter $38.6 billion to $38.2 billion for GM. Now one quarter does not mean Ford will pass GM in Revenue for the year, but if present trends continue as expected, Ford soon will consistently pass GM in Revenue on annual basis. With Ford passing GM in Market Cap last few months or so and now Revenue, one could argue that Ford is number one vehicle manufacturing company that is American based. Not a title to be especially proud of when you consider state of American manufacturing, but this is first time in 80 years that Ford has done it even ONE quarter.

It's been said repeatedly that of all the struggling auto manufacturers, Ford has the best plan to return to profitability. Looks like it's starting to work. Still can't happen fast enough...

I would assume that is because of the divestiture of GMAC. Still an accomplishment nonetheless - if bittersweet at best.

When you really think about it, this fact is pretty amazing.

GM has 7 divisions to Ford's 3. GM regularly sells at least 80,000 more vehicles than Ford every month in America. GM is very big in China and very established and Ford is basically newcomer in China just starting to get some traction. GM is big in Europe and so is Ford. GM does well in Russia and Eastern Europe just as Ford does. And Ford still beats them in Total Revenue for second quarter, '08. To keep 7 divisions going, GM is going to need a lot more cash flow than Ford and right now it's not getting the cash flow needed.

IMHO, it makes Bill Ford's decisions seem almost prescient, and his recruitment of the Mull seem inspired: an outside-the-system dude with international-market experience is overhauling the company world-wide, putting an end to what I call the Byzantine Era management process of the Ford Motor Company.

The new era, I would contend, is management by aggressive pragmatists. Time will tell, as it always does. :)

Unfortunately it's a race to the bottom right now.

Unfortunately it's a race to the bottom right now.

And that's why the new product is so important, like the powertrain upgrade on the Escape, for example. When you're in a generally declining market, new product is more important than ever. Fortunately, there's new vehicles to be launched in early 2K9.

I believe that Ford exceeded GM in market cap for much of the 90s and 00s.

Also, I don't believe it can be said with any particular certainty that Ford's revenue last exceeded GM's 80 years ago--unless you have a link.

My source is Mr. Mcelroy, auto analyst for WWJ Radio in Detroit, MI, an all news station 24 hours a day. He does auto spots throughout the day and stated it this morning. He said you have to go back to old man Henry and the Model T 80 years ago to see the last time Ford passed GM in revenue.

I guess I'd like to see better support than that. Ford's revenue figures before its IPO are available only at the archives at the Henry Ford, and I would guess considerable effort would be required to verify that claim.

Ford hasn't passed GM in US sales since 1926, but revenue is a different matter.

Also, Ford passing GM in revenue excludes a couple billion in Jag & LR revenue. If Ford still owned JLR, they'd be a ways ahead of GM.

Ford was poised to be the # 1 Automaker until the bottom fell out after 9-11.

It wasn't 9/11 it was the Firestone Debacle, that killed product development for 3 years, No new RWD platform for Lincoln, Ford, Jaguar, no new product and everything conservative. Powertrain slashed, (new V6 was to be out in 2004) PAG NA assembly plant study was stopped. Ford would be a total different company without that recall and bad PR -- you can do a lot with 10 billion.

Well, if Ford bleww $$ on a large RWD platform, it would be piling up like cord wood, as the 'savior of Detroit' Mopar's LX cars. The 300 sales were pathetic last month. Imagine a Ford 427 getting 13 mpg would be doing the same.

Except the new RWD platform would've been out years earlier than the LX's when gas was cheaper, so they would've done well for that period until the LXs debuted, of course then the gas crunch would've still come and sales would've dropped, although, if the RWD platform were for Lincoln, it would've had a better chance at maintaining sales being a luxury make rather than a Ford large RWD vehicle.