$21,000+ 2009 Focus SEL

FordBuyer

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, there are still lots of people who dont want it, since 'they heard bad things'. When GM had it standard, there were so many who complained they didnt want it and then they made it optional.

Also, anyone who thinks the sticker is the 'final price' has to get eduacted in car dealing.

Not that it really matters. You'll have a hard time finding a dealer who stocks any without ABS anyway.

My dealer generally doesn't order ABS on Foci. (I now work with a former salesman from the same dealership and he confirmed that to me--dealer policy.) I learned that when I went in in June looking for one. And there were very few in the Chicago area he could find with ABS. That's why I wound up factory ordering an '09. "People would rather have $500 off the price than pay for ABS" is what I was told. I guess it's the old mindset that small cars have to be cheap and stripped.

My dealer generally doesn't order ABS on Foci. (I now work with a former salesman from the same dealership and he confirmed that to me--dealer policy.) I learned that when I went in in June looking for one. And there were very few in the Chicago area he could find with ABS. That's why I wound up factory ordering an '09. "People would rather have $500 off the price than pay for ABS" is what I was told. I guess it's the old mindset that small cars have to be cheap and stripped.

Must be a very different market in your area.

Must be a very different market in your area.

Same thing in Atlanta - there were only 2 Focii in dealer stock in the whole Southeast with ABS, side airbags and TC back in 2005. None of the used ones had ABS. The dealers around here order them for stock as cheaply as possible, so I had to special order the one for my son.

Same thing in Atlanta - there were only 2 Focii in dealer stock in the whole Southeast with ABS, side airbags and TC back in 2005. None of the used ones had ABS. The dealers around here order them for stock as cheaply as possible, so I had to special order the one for my son.

Could it be that the only reason they were in stock was because they didn't have ABS?

Could it be that the only reason they were in stock was because they didn't have ABS?

Could be. I do know that with the shift in buying from trucks and SUVs to small cars, my dealer is ordering tons of Foci, and he's ordering more loaded ones than ever before. The only 08s he has had for several weeks until the 09s started arriving were stripped S models. Like I said, I think the mindset is changing.

I laugh out loud when I see the Ford commercials for the year-end clearance. Yeah, like you're really going to find an 08 Focus with SYNC or an Escape Hybrid on a dealer lot. Give me a break.

I laugh out loud when I see the Ford commercials for the year-end clearance. Yeah, like you're really going to find an 08 Focus with SYNC or an Escape Hybrid on a dealer lot. Give me a break.

Every automaker is guilty of that. Gotta advertise what's popular, even if you know it's not in stock. Just getting a potential customer into a dealership is half the battle.

I doubt it - that search also included vehicles shipped but not on the lot yet. And I also searched a lot of used Focii and none of them had ABS. Remember back then the Focus was really sold as the cheapest car on the lot. That's not true anymore.

Could be. I do know that with the shift in buying from trucks and SUVs to small cars, my dealer is ordering tons of Foci, and he's ordering more loaded ones than ever before. The only 08s he has had for several weeks until the 09s started arriving were stripped S models. Like I said, I think the mindset is changing.

Well as others have said as well, those customers that are switching down to smaller vehicles also expect the features that were on their larger vehicles in smaller vehicles, so thus, dealers are ordering higher-end/loaded models than before as you said.

Well, I ordered a fully loaded Focus SEL, but I'm crazy that way. I know another poster on this site that ordered an almost identical car. My sticker price (which can be found in the VIN tracking forum) is 21,020. Obviously, I'm not paying that for it. I didn't want a Fusion.

I would be that other poster. The sticker on my Focus SEL is $21,530. Like nickz, I did not want a Fusion; I wanted a small car to commute with that had the luxuries my other vehicles have (sunroof, leather, remote start, SYNC, etc.).

I am another one that bought an 08 SE almost fully loaded (w/o moonroof and Sirius). Stickered at $20.5K. I decided that I'd prefer a loaded Focus than a lower version of the Fusion. Actually like the looks more, too.

The dealer also had no trouble selling the SES (again loaded w/o moonroof and Sirius) that I traded.

I am seriously considering getting the "SEL" badge to replace the "SE" badge on the trunk lid...since that's virtually what I have. :hysterical:

You do that and you'll probably have your "SEL" before I get mine! :angry:

Tell you what. I'll give you until the end of August. :hysterical:

Seeing that ViperPilot gave you an update of 08/11/08 ship date, you should see it at the dealer by Friday.

Hope it arrives soon!

Tell you what. I'll give you until the end of August. :hysterical:

Seeing that ViperPilot gave you an update of 08/11/08 ship date, you should see it at the dealer by Friday.

Hope it arrives soon!

Man, I hope you're right. mkxnsap's SEL was built on the same day, shipped to Kansas, and he got his last week!

The kid that's buying my old car is picking it up on Friday, whether the Focus is here or not. If I don't get the Focus by then, I'll be driving the wife's Prizm until it comes in. :cry:

Man, I hope you're right. mkxnsap's SEL was built on the same day, shipped to Kansas, and he got his last week!

The kid that's buying my old car is picking it up on Friday, whether the Focus is here or not. If I don't get the Focus by then, I'll be driving the wife's Prizm until it comes in. :cry:

Well...you be sure to post once the car arrives. :happy feet:

I had a tough time finding one with ABS also. Living in the SE with many Ford Dealerships..Most dealers I went to, had SES, but none with ABS.. So must be dealers think alike.

I had a tough time finding one with ABS also. Living in the SE with many Ford Dealerships..Most dealers I went to, had SES, but none with ABS.. So must be dealers think alike.

It could also be the spec cars that are built and sent out to the dealerships. Who knows?

It could also be the spec cars that are built and sent out to the dealerships. Who knows?

I checked the inventory of my dealer to see what were on the 09 Foci they ordered for stock and NONE of them had ABS, not even the (almost) loaded SELs. And they are a high volume dealer. Some dealers just won't order them for stock this way. I don't think that will change until the Fiesta debuts here and the Focus is no longer considered the value leader for Ford.

Well...you be sure to post once the car arrives. :happy feet:

I just got an email from my salesman that my Focus will be arriving at the dealer this afternoon and I will be picking it up tonight! :yahoo:

I'll try to post some pics over the weekend.

I checked the inventory of my dealer to see what were on the 09 Foci they ordered for stock and NONE of them had ABS, not even the (almost) loaded SELs. And they are a high volume dealer. Some dealers just won't order them for stock this way. I don't think that will change until the Fiesta debuts here and the Focus is no longer considered the value leader for Ford.

Hmm...at the one dealer inventory around here I felt like checking:

19 in stock:

6 SES, 4 with ABS

8 SE, 2 with ABS

5 S, 0 with ABS

Yeah, this is probably losing them a shitload of sales the more I think about it.

Glad to hear it...whew! Dang, I'm good! :hysterical: :happy feet:

I just got an email from my salesman that my Focus will be arriving at the dealer this afternoon and I will be picking it up tonight! :yahoo:

I'll try to post some pics over the weekend.

Looking forward to seeing it! Congrats!

Edited by exrub

Looking forward to seeing it! Congrats!

Well, I picked up my SEL around 5 hours ago and I just got done playing with it for the night. I'll post some pics and a full report later this weekend.

In a nutshell: I love it. You should have got the moonroof exrub. The audiophile stereo sounds great. A few surprises on the 09. Slightly different Euroflange wheels (center cap is different). I like the 08 version better, but these are OK. Three adjustable headrests in rear, as already reported. Soft vinyl inserts on front doors with stiching to match the leather seats. Everybody on the online forums seems to prefer the charcoal interior, but I am happy I went with the stone. That with the brilliant silver paint is a combo that looks really upscale. I actually turned some heads on the road today with it, and they weren't gawking at the gills! :P

More to come in its own thread... :party2:

Well, I picked up my SEL around 5 hours ago and I just got done playing with it for the night. I'll post some pics and a full report later this weekend.

In a nutshell: I love it. You should have got the moonroof exrub. The audiophile stereo sounds great. A few surprises on the 09. Slightly different Euroflange wheels (center cap is different). I like the 08 version better, but these are OK. Three adjustable headrests in rear, as already reported. Soft vinyl inserts on front doors with stiching to match the leather seats. Everybody on the online forums seems to prefer the charcoal interior, but I am happy I went with the stone. That with the brilliant silver paint is a combo that looks really upscale. I actually turned some heads on the road today with it, and they weren't gawking at the gills! :P

More to come in its own thread... :party2:

CONGRATS!!!

I thought about the moonroof. However, the car was bought to go to my daughter once she gets used to driving my wife's Corolla (i.e. get all the bangs and bumps out). :hysterical: Anyway, she a space cadet, and I didn't want her to "forget" to close the moonroof especially when it rains or something. :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I still have my Mariner w/ a moonroof and my convertible Mustang GT for now.

Anyway, I won't steal your thunder on this thread.

Again, congrats, nickz!!! :happy feet: