Forget remote starters.......

For cars destined for cold regions: Remote starters waste fuel. Okay they're great if your NOT home and you want to warm up your car after dining at a restaurant or shopping. But if you ARE home, the heater would save gasoline by you not having to warm up your car! Let's face it; your car gets colder overnight than it does after you've been eating or shopping for just an hour or so.

For cars destined for cold regions: Remote starters waste fuel. Okay they're great if your NOT home and you want to warm up your car after dining at a restaurant or shopping. But if you ARE home, the heater would save gasoline by you not having to warm up your car! Let's face it; your car gets colder overnight than it does after you've been eating or shopping for just an hour or so.

My 97 F150 has both, a block heater so my engine is happy starting at -20 and a remote start so my ass is happy at -20. :shades:

My 97 F150 has both, a block heater so my engine is happy starting at -20 and a remote start so my ass is happy at -20. :shades:

you guys can keep that -20 where you are along w AWD, bun warmers and coolant nukers....I rode the Motorcycle in this morning...GLORIOUS!

you guys can keep that -20 where you are along w AWD, bun warmers and coolant nukers....I rode the Motorcycle in this morning...GLORIOUS!

House is still up for sale and I'm still trying to get where cold is 40/50 degrees. Wanna trade locations? :backtotopic:

I had no idea what a block heater or winter front was when I moved here in 92, sure do now and recomend both along with the remote start.

House is still up for sale and I'm still trying to get where cold is 40/50 degrees. Wanna trade locations? :backtotopic:

I had no idea what a block heater or winter front was when I moved here in 92, sure do now and recomend both along with the remote start.

good luck on the home Ron. PS....we do not order a Diesel Superduty WITHOUT the block heater....especially since its free.....and mandatory in certain parts of the country i would say....

I use to work evenings at CAP. It was 4 am on a 10 hour night that saw heavy rain turn to snow. I remote started my P71 Vic from inside, on my way out, to let it thaw out. I quickly noticed that many people could not get their doors to open because they were frozen shut. I remember one women was crawling through her hatch back to get inside her car. I was lucky to get a passenger door open and thought how cool remote start was on an icy night like this. A block heater would have been of no use to me that night.

good luck on the home Ron. PS....we do not order a Diesel Superduty WITHOUT the block heater....especially since its free.....and mandatory in certain parts of the country i would say....

Yea could use the luck on the house, not much selling here.

I remember lots of people wanting me to order a block heater for their 6.0L when in fact all of them already had one, but sales had to add 41H I think it was to get Ford to ship the cord with the truck.

Yup, Engine block heaters are optional on all Fords. Occasionally you see dealer trades down here with engine block heaters, very unusual to see in Southern Michigan, it doesn't get THAT cold here. Occasionally you'll see -20F, but the world basically stops when it gets that cold and batteries die :).

How do engine block heaters work, what do they look like?

Yup, Engine block heaters are optional on all Fords. Occasionally you see dealer trades down here with engine block heaters, very unusual to see in Southern Michigan, it doesn't get THAT cold here. Occasionally you'll see -20F, but the world basically stops when it gets that cold and batteries die :).

How do engine block heaters work, what do they look like?

They usually mount in a freeze plug, or on a water pump like the one on my 3208 CAT motor. They keep the ani-freeze warm. You can turn the key and watch the temp guage jump as soon as the engine fires. A must for diesel powered engines.

Depending on brand and application 450 to 600 for gas engines, up to 1000 for diesel.

Okay, so if I were to leave my car plugged in for 10 hours @ $.08/kWh, I'm looking at from $.48 to $.36 to use the engine block heater.

That equals about a pint to 3 cups of gasoline @ $3/gal. and I don't that a car will burn through 16-24oz. of gasoline during a 5 minute idle.

did you sneak out from under the down comforter in your long johns to post THAT??????? :hysterical:

You know what Dean? You're seriously missing out on the down comforter.

I got a call from a sales rep at carsdirect.com yesterday. He was down in Tampa and asked me how the weather was. Best I could say was 'it's not snowing'--low 40s with wind and rain is miserable.

He told me it was 81, and then gave me the contact for his data rep, area code 310---and I said, "oh great, someone else with warm weather..."

Thing is, dean, when you're in it, you can delude yourself into thinking that things are bad all over.

And then someone comes along and bursts your bubble.

Like the Tampa Bay client that was talking about barbecuing with his kids in February, and said, "it was kind of too hot for the fire"

I got a call from a sales rep at carsdirect.com yesterday. He was down in Tampa and asked me how the weather was. Best I could say was 'it's not snowing'--low 40s with wind and rain is miserable.

He told me it was 81, and then gave me the contact for his data rep, area code 310---and I said, "oh great, someone else with warm weather..."

Thing is, dean, when you're in it, you can delude yourself into thinking that things are bad all over.

Like the Tampa Bay client that was talking about barbecuing with his kids in February, and said, "it was kind of too hot for the fire"

:hysterical: ...actually i will fess to it sometimes being too much here as well...NOT enjoyable doing backyard work in 100 degrees at all...the ONLY good thing is in the refrigerator. Will fess to enjoying visiting friends in Seattle though, the change is nice...long term i don't know....but some semblence of "seasons" is a nice change....

Edited by Deanh

I was in San Bernadino (San Bernashithole is more like it) all week and it was a chilly 96 degrees today. brrrr,

Im not a fan of the 909. can you tell?

Edited by Sixt9coug

Depending on brand and application 450 to 600 for gas engines, up to 1000 for diesel.

Hmmm... not worth it in MHO. I'm too cheap to leave a 24 watt CFL on for more than the absolutely necessary... no way would I leave 600 watts going all night.

I guess I'll just suffer with a cold car... or finally clean my garage.

Since we're talking cold temps on a Ford site......

Back in the late 70's I was snowmobiling with some friends in the Adirondack Mtns, (Northern NY). After a weekend of riding, it was time to pack up and head home. That morning it was -40deg F. Of the 5 cars and trucks we had, F-100, F-250, C-10, Impala, Aspen. The Fords were the only ones that would start. They both cranked really slow, but fired and stayed running. The GM's cranked slow without firing. The Dodge cranked it's normal whiney crank but failed to fire at all. The Fords were used to keep the other batteries charged until they finaly started, (had to spray either down the carbs).

Ford got some cudos from my GM and Mopar buddies on that COLD January morning.

A block heater warms the engine. Remote starter warms the driver. In very cold climates you need the block heater or your engine won't start. With the block heater, the engine will warm up quicker, but you still have to go out into the cold to start it. If your windows are frosted up, you still have to start you car and let it harm enough to melt the frost, or keep it from re-frosting, before you can drive off.

I was in San Bernadino (San Bernashithole is more like it) all week and it was a chilly 96 degrees today. brrrr,

Im not a fan of the 909. can you tell?

awful place...Meth central...my father in Law was a fire cheif there...no fire calls , just stabbings and shootings.....AWFUL....and STINKING hot....no need for block heaters there, more like armor plating

Edited by Deanh