MKZ Looks Sharp, But Has Lost Allure

ANTAUS

What is it these day with auto critics demonizing vehicles if they experience anything short of a religious experience upon entry into the interior?

Burgess has one thing to complain about.... the "center stack" of the MKZ. Other than that he seems to really enjoy the vehicle. For that, the MKZ deserves this closing statement?

"When I finally parked the MKZ, I had to rethink if this was still my favorite out of three Ford midsized cars.

It has the power, abilities and technology inside to hang with the bigger boys in that $30,000 category. But its interior packaging doesn't match the competition.

Maybe, I'll take a second look at the Milan -- I've always thought spokeswoman Jill Wagner was aging very well."

2008 Lincoln:

fmc_07mkz_tanint.jpg

2008 Cadillac CTS:

112_0703_03z%202008_cadillac_cts%20interior_view.jpg

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

Kind of weird he would review the 2009 MKX when the 2010 is only weeks from production and will have new interior. On top of that, he makes no mention of this fact and acts like Ford is just going to keep making same car with no improvements. He should have just waited a few months to review new MKZ instead of wasting newspaper space on 2009.

Yes I do find the article kinda, "why bother?" mainly because there's a new one around the corner, but I think he was revisiting the vehicle (for whatever reason). He had a few points he was headed to, it's just much of the facts were irrelevant. He also failed to mention that the interior received accolades for materials quality and presentation when it debuted as well...earned a "Best Interior" award for it I remember.

I think if he used a different angle, such as "Look, they tried to give it some originality by using some retro cues and it's looking stoic and old" then I think the article would have been more palettable overall. My only personal beef with the MKZ's interior is the double brow, high shelf, high cowl look it had made it feel old and confined, whereas everyone else has moved forward, understood, and USE a softer waterfall layout (as pictured in the CTS above) which people interpret it as being more open and spacious even if it's just an illusion.

Oh and the boring, nothing special intrumentation...

Kind of weird he would review the 2009 MKX when the 2010 is only weeks from production and will have new interior. On top of that, he makes no mention of this fact and acts like Ford is just going to keep making same car with no improvements. He should have just waited a few months to review new MKZ instead of wasting newspaper space on 2009.

Has to get in his chance to crap on it now lest he lose it later.

I could not agree with you more. The article is completely irrelevant with the 2010 coming out soon.

I have had issues with press printing junk, just becase that can't find anything else to keep up with their quota for controversy.

He has a point when it comes to the interior packaging, as I tired of looking at it after the first year or so. Having said that I, like the rest of you guys, question why he decided to review a vehicle that is due to be replaced in approx. 2 months yet doesn't bother to make mention of its replacement.

It seems silly....

I also don't understand the CTS pictured above?

What is it these day with auto critics demonizing vehicles if they experience anything short of a religious experience upon entry into the interior?

Amen!

Not only that, he says that the MKZ interior 'hasn't held up as well as' the CTS, 3-Series, and A4.

Well, pardon my injection of simple facts, but aren't the CTS, 3-Series, and A4 new since the MKZ was launched?

In fact, the interiors he cites have not 'held up' at all. They've been REPLACED.

--

But you know what? Kudos to him for a brilliant gonzo reference to the robot on Lost In Space. I chuckled, 'cause it's true.

060421_lostinspace_vmed_3p.widec.jpg

See? Check out the chest control panel! :hysterical:

I really don't like the dashboard of my MKZ and I'll be glad to see the design go. I never liked it, it's not a nice thing to sit behind, reminding me of the early 80's when cowls were tall and dashboards were square.

Here is a look at the new dash. Substantially better, but sadly conventional. Maybe the higher end models will have nicer detailing, like a double-stitch along the dash.

Edited by BORG

He has a point when it comes to the interior packaging, as I tired of looking at it after the first year or so. Having said that I, like the rest of you guys, question why he decided to review a vehicle that is due to be replaced in approx. 2 months yet doesn't bother to make mention of its replacement.

It seems silly....

I also don't understand the CTS pictured above?

He could have said that while I don't like the center stack, just wait a few months and the new 2010 MKZ will have new interior plus new center stack. Either he is ignorant of what Ford is doing, or chose to ignore Ford improvements. I will go with the latter.

He could have said that while I don't like the center stack, just wait a few months and the new 2010 MKZ will have new interior plus new center stack. Either he is ignorant of what Ford is doing, or chose to ignore Ford improvements. I will go with the latter.

Auto Journalists don't get the job because they are passionate about it, they get it because they fall into it. Therefore, they are about as knowledgeable about their subject as I would be if I were hired to write about eating and dining. I like it, but that's about all I know on the subject ;)

Edited by BORG

Auto Journalists don't get the job because they are passionate about it, they get it because they fall into it. Therefore, they are about as knowledgeable about their subject as I would be if I were hired to write about eating and dining. I like it, but that's about all I know on the subject ;)

Amen to that BORG. As an aside, I got my wife an MKZ two years ago and have loved everything about it, including the interior, since day one. It did in fact get accolades for the interior,as mentioned earlier, a point the reviewer either forgot or decided to ignore. As a Lincoln salesman, I can't wait to see the new MKZ, but in all honesty I reserve my highest compliments for the MKS, which will, in fact, be the next one my wife gets when the lease is up next year.