UAW needs to grant concessions

Fatso

I didnt dog u!! And who is saving who here?? Go see the steel,airline,rubber bankruptcy my friend

I was quoting several articles about the VEBA on autonews go read them!!

Quote the retiree retired today will not see a cut but the FUTURE ones will!!"" Thats what it says!!!

I dont understand why u are dogging the ones who will be laidoff soon...After all a laidoff worker has a family to raise ooh ya u dont give a shit about that laidoff union brother do u!! Lets just cut him loose with no GEN no SUB and no buyout just see ya is that what it comes down too! After all were in this together right???

Again Im willing to take a cut to help u guys out question is are u willing to help the laidoff worker out??

I am not wishing any bad luck to anyone , i know firsthand about layoffs having

almost 2 years on layoff in 80 & 81 and only getting 8 months of sub because of the 15yrs. senority rule , having wage & benefit freezes to stop any loss to the retirees . What do you want me to give up .

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am a uaw member from local 862 and been one since 1993.this whole situation is a s bad as it gets. on one hand i dont want to give concessions.. we have been giving back for several years....a little here a little there...but the public HATES US!!!! after years of wgop radio (am talk shows hannity rush medved) the public has been desensitized to our plight and would like to see union people cease to exist...thus forcing the big three out of business. i think it would be in our best interest to give up something back to show good faith .however the company must not get any kind of bonuses raises or golden parachutes of any kind during this period .... if we come back to profitablity then those give backs must be reinstated immediately...having said this if the rank and file say hell no and we crash and burn than i will be there with my brothers and we will all go down together!!!!! :stats: have a good day

i am a uaw member from local 862 and been one since 1993.this whole situation is a s bad as it gets. on one hand i dont want to give concessions.. we have been giving back for several years....a little here a little there...but the public HATES US!!!! after years of wgop radio (am talk shows hannity rush medved) the public has been desensitized to our plight and would like to see union people cease to exist...thus forcing the big three out of business. i think it would be in our best interest to give up something back to show good faith .however the company must not get any kind of bonuses raises or golden parachutes of any kind during this period .... if we come back to profitablity then those give backs must be reinstated immediately...having said this if the rank and file say hell no and we crash and burn than i will be there with my brothers and we will all go down together!!!!! :stats: have a good day

FU/K right wing talk show host there all full of SHIT!!!!!!!!

They all support the WAR but NONE of them ever servered in the Army nor any of there kids!!

All they want is lower taxes for the top 2%% Go ask Pres. harding and Hoover what happened when they implemented there Trickle Down theory! It led to the great depression

I am not wishing any bad luck to anyone , i know firsthand about layoffs having

almost 2 years on layoff in 80 & 81 and only getting 8 months of sub because of the 15yrs. senority rule , having wage & benefit freezes to stop any loss to the retirees . What do you want me to give up .

Soon2bout younger UAW members don't realize that the older members and retirees didn't have the luxury of jsp or gen pool. We had sub pay and if you had less than 10 years you got Sub based on seniority and they took 5 credits per check out of the 52 credits that we could have, so maybe 10 or 11 weeks. Then all you had was unemployment. And as far as even talking about the retirees giving, they are already paying out money they didn't have to before they retired. Some retirees are lucky enough to be still alive and living on much less than the current $3000 something a month that current retirees get when they leave and they didn't get buyout money when they left. No offense to members working but preserving retirees benefits seems more important than paying people to get paid for not working and not looking for a job when they are layed off. If the gen or jsp survives maybe there should be a time limit which gives people time to get it together and prepare for maybe not getting called back which is more than we had in the 80s. When people get layed off most other places they get maybe a year of severence pay and maybe benefits for a time, our layed off members are put on extended vacation with no reason to do anything but to enjoy it. Our members are very lucky that the UAW leaders of the past bargained for all these benefits that we have, so if we have to give some benefits back to keep our company in business, the current leadership will bargain with the company for these benefits that we might give back, which hopefully won't be as bad as what some people on this forum demand that we give up without letting the union and the company even get to the bargaining table first. We won't like what happens if the contract is reopened, but hopefully it will be in the best interests of our members and retirees and to be able to keep Ford in business for another 100 and something years.

Soon2bout younger UAW members don't realize that the older members and retirees didn't have the luxury of jsp or gen pool. We had sub pay and if you had less than 10 years you got Sub based on seniority and they took 5 credits per check out of the 52 credits that we could have, so maybe 10 or 11 weeks. Then all you had was unemployment. And as far as even talking about the retirees giving, they are already paying out money they didn't have to before they retired. Some retirees are lucky enough to be still alive and living on much less than the current $3000 something a month that current retirees get when they leave and they didn't get buyout money when they left. No offense to members working but preserving retirees benefits seems more important than paying people to get paid for not working and not looking for a job when they are layed off. If the gen or jsp survives maybe there should be a time limit which gives people time to get it together and prepare for maybe not getting called back which is more than we had in the 80s. When people get layed off most other places they get maybe a year of severence pay and maybe benefits for a time, our layed off members are put on extended vacation with no reason to do anything but to enjoy it. Our members are very lucky that the UAW leaders of the past bargained for all these benefits that we have, so if we have to give some benefits back to keep our company in business, the current leadership will bargain with the company for these benefits that we might give back, which hopefully won't be as bad as what some people on this forum demand that we give up without letting the union and the company even get to the bargaining table first. We won't like what happens if the contract is reopened, but hopefully it will be in the best interests of our members and retirees and to be able to keep Ford in business for another 100 and something years.

I respectfully disagree, of course u want it to be a one way street you got yours!!!

Anyone who worked 30yrs at ford should have a paid off house and $100K in the bank if u dont then thats your problem not ours! You never had a co pay on medical when you guys worked yet you want us to take one and take a $8-10 pay cut to "help" you keep your stuff!!

Nope sorry it aint gonna be a one way street we are ALL in this together. We all know what happens and whats the first thing a bankruptcy judge will and does throw out dont we? Go ask the steel, airlines, and rubber retirees what that was!! There will be concessions to save the company or there wont its everyones choice both retired and working. Im not being a dick but for you to suggest that we owe you something is ridiculous! At 62 your full pension is guaranteed which is $3000 more then a laidoff brother will get guaranteed per month! Just remember that!

But in the end the union will make the call

We could be working for the government soon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081112/ap_on_go_co/auto_bailout

Congressional Democrats are pushing legislation to send $25 billion in emergency loans to the beleaguered auto industry in exchange for a government ownership stake in the Big Three car companies.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., hope for quick passage of the auto bailout during a postelection session that begins Monday.

I can't believe the couple of you YAHOO's who are sitting here saying you're willing to give up pay when nothing is even on the table. Why don't you Chicken Little's shut your pie holes. I bet the two of you are so constipated from stress that you can't take a dump! Maybe that explains all of the exclamation marks by someone who will go nameless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hysterical:

You can't control anything that will or will no thappen. Quit speculating and go to work and do your job. The automakers will get what they need, we will maintain our wages and benefits until at least 2011 by which time the automakers will be doing much better and we will prosper further beyond that.

By the way, if I choose to work beyond 30 years, I will. I have many friends who have. It is not a mandate to go at 30 just because you are eligible and people have been working beyond 30 years since the inception of 30 and out. Big deal. I'll leave when I'm ready and so will everyone else.

Anyone who worked 30yrs at ford should have a paid off house and $100K in the bank if u dont then thats your problem not ours! You never had a co pay on medical when you guys worked yet you want us to take one and take a $8-10 pay cut to "help" you keep your stuff!!

Please point me to a source where retirees have said they want us to take a pay cut so they can keep their stuff. Do you write for the National Enquirer by chance?

Go read the freep.com article

UAW workers need to take a CUT in wages and pay for there healthcare and agree to lower payment to the VEBA!

I didnt say it Im quoting it! It has to go both ways or it will=bankruptcy which will lead to no VEBA and no jobs! WE ALL have too much too loose!

And on the bright side I heard the state of OHIO is running out of unemployment $ they have $300 mills and are supposed to have $2.3 billion and may have to ask for FEDERAL HELP "BAILOUT" soon to cover the payments. Im sure Mich aint far behind Ohio.

I respectfully disagree, of course u want it to be a one way street you got yours!!!

Nope sorry it aint gonna be a one way street we are ALL in this together. We all know what happens and whats the first thing a bankruptcy judge will and does throw out dont we? Go ask the steel, airlines, and rubber retirees what that was!! There will be concessions to save the company or there wont its everyones choice both retired and working. Im not being a dick but for you to suggest that we owe you something is ridiculous! At 62 your full pension is guaranteed which is $3000 more then a laidoff brother will get guaranteed per month! Just remember that!

But in the end the union will make the call

Not everything works out in real life as your fairytail where everyone has what they need when they get to 30 years, lifes not always perfect. Do you realize you don' have a clue what you are talking about most of the time, there was no copay when I hired in because you payed for all your own doctor bills, and the only thing insurance payed for was hospital visits, It wasn't until 1987 that the came up with total health with no copay. You have all the benefits that the retired leadership got you and damn now you have to pay a $25 dollar copay to go to the doctor so does everyone else. If you don't think members owe the past leadership and members something you aren't much of a union brother BROTHER! I know for a fact that people that retired in 1990 get a total of $2000 a month which includes their social security, and the people that retired before that, that are still with us make conciderably less for each 3 year contract before then. Now how much do you think you would like to see them give up towards keeping you in a job that without the retirees you wouldn't have all the benefits that you do. Maybe so that you could be quaranteed a retirement they do away with the 30 and out supplement that they bargained for and make you work till 62 when you get social security and then you get the $3600 a month you would have guaranteed then. We may give concessions but I thank God that you aren't the one negocitating them cause you would give the company everything.

Not everything works out in real life as your fairytail where everyone has what they need when they get to 30 years, lifes not always perfect. Do you realize you don' have a clue what you are talking about most of the time, there was no copay when I hired in because you payed for all your own doctor bills, and the only thing insurance payed for was hospital visits, It wasn't until 1987 that the came up with total health with no copay. You have all the benefits that the retired leadership got you and damn now you have to pay a $25 dollar copay to go to the doctor so does everyone else. If you don't think members owe the past leadership and members something you aren't much of a union brother BROTHER! I know for a fact that people that retired in 1990 get a total of $2000 a month which includes their social security, and the people that retired before that, that are still with us make conciderably less for each 3 year contract before then. Now how much do you think you would like to see them give up towards keeping you in a job that without the retirees you wouldn't have all the benefits that you do. Maybe so that you could be quaranteed a retirement they do away with the 30 and out supplement that they bargained for and make you work till 62 when you get social security and then you get the $3600 a month you would have guaranteed then. We may give concessions but I thank God that you aren't the one negocitating them cause you would give the company everything.

Stop OK If u aint got that house and stuff paid off its on you not me!

What part of the company is going bankrupt dont u understand?? This aint the 1070's again.

Using your logic we should have got a 4% raise every year and $10000 bonus every year in the last contract!

How about they raise everyones pension $1000 a month and cut our pay and benefits by 50% to you that would be fair wouldn't it!!!!!!!!

Bankruptcy aint no fun my friend I went through it at the steel mill I lost my pension and everything and I dont want to see that happen again thats all Im saying!!

Fords pension is UNDERFUNDED by $13 billion by the way they are the #1 company in the USA at being underfunded and that aint good!

Edited by CSMJ

Has the company or union asked anyone to give anything back i dont recall reading anything about it , and yet you young folks are willing to give anything and everthing back , just remember not all retirees are my age only 53 and still working some are in their late 60s to whatever with ailments most older folks have and need their health care . TO FATSO you gotta be a company man because all you talk about is what we should give up , CMSJ yea put VEBA money in sub or jsp to save your sorry monkey ass

This topic is realistic whether anything has been said publically or not.I am a company man.I want to see car and truck sales improve because that is the only way out of constant financial insecurity and a Ford common share price of a buck and a half.Once again {don`t hit me} Management,salaried,UAW Hourly,retiree`s all need to compromise.Assume that,The Ford Motor Company gets a LOAN-not a bailout- from the taxpayers and we go on to build those saucy little cars from Europe;engineer greater fuel efficiency;make a great truck that runs on deisel,etc.etc.Then hopefully the WORLD`S Economy turns around and in a few years Ford Motor is once again a proud,successful and profitable Corporation.Do you follow the stock price?Investors have lost billions.Your reference to me as a 'Company guy' I will take as a compliment after all it was the Company that hired me.The UAW is a Company,too!NOBODY IN THE USA HAS TO BUY A FORD PRODUCT if they don`t want to,,,,,Image,public relations.That guy/gal,the CUSTOMER is our meal ticket!One last point.The UAW does not have a lot of leaverage at the present moment.Fortunately,The UAW has President-elect Obama`s support.Now the question becomes what must President-elect Obama and the Democrats do politically in order to keep this thing from blowing up in their faces?There is something economically immoral from a Capitalist philosophy about all these Government,taxpayer subsidized, 'Bailouts'!Wheeewww,I`m done,,,,hmmmm {p.s I know this is a hot button topic and I thank you for keeping the discussion civilized and intelligent,thanks for the feedback. keep smilin!}

Edited by Fatso

So Fatso, what kind of concessions would you be comfortable with? How big of a pay cut? How much should be deducted from pay checks for health insurance? Which work rules/operations should change? How much should be taken away from retirees?

Question is whats it gonna take to keep ford out of bankruptcy because if they go under there will be no VEBA or pensions or jobs!

The union could structure the concessions as needed and add a clause to give us a bigger % of profit sharing in the future! thats what happened in the 80's isnt it?

Thats a win win for both the company and the union! :happy feet:

Question is whats it gonna take to keep ford out of bankruptcy because if they go under there will be no VEBA or pensions or jobs!

The union could structure the concessions as needed and add a clause to give us a bigger % of profit sharing in the future! thats what happened in the 80's isnt it?

Thats a win win for both the company and the union! :happy feet:

I have a question that i hope can get answer by someone here with some common sence. As a tax payer, why should my money as well as millions of other americans go in bailing out the big three. When most of the people here would rather see the big 3 fold up than take a pay cut. What about the people who have retired? You all would be screwing them if bankrupty was declared and your pay would get cut for sure. If these left wing people knew about this website and see the stuff you guys are putting out lol bye bye Big 3 forever. Taking a pay cut now instead of later not only makes the union looks good as willness to help out. The union can cut a deal with the big 3 to benefit you guys. A plan for starters, work a deal where you guys get to buy the car or truck for what it cost the company to make it. They want you give alittle so they should be force to give alittle. All im asking for some here to think. Think about those who came before you and those who got laid off and quit being so damn selfish. The American public already is piss off about the bailout. AIG is joke plan and simple. As for the heads of the big 3 the union needs to demand cut in their pay as well and no golden chutes. Come on folks give bit now and survive this mess or fall. :banghead:

Go read the freep.com article

UAW workers need to take a CUT in wages and pay for there healthcare and agree to lower payment to the VEBA!

I didnt say it Im quoting it! It has to go both ways or it will=bankruptcy which will lead to no VEBA and no jobs! WE ALL have too much too loose!

I don't see anywhere on freep.com where it says this. Even if it does say it somehwere, it wasn't a quote from a retiree. It had to have been some nutjobs commentary. Post a link.

We'll get the loans we need and continue as normal. Executive pay will be limited though, not ours. I'm not giving up squat and the majority won't.

Edited by Twincam Harley

Toyota might need to be in on the bailout too. Seems like they have been making some of those same bad business decisions that (some are claiming on here) only the big 3 make.

What Obama needs to do is get people working again in the USA. Stop importing the crap from China, Japan, India, Viet Nam, Mexico and all the other third world countries. Yes, this is protectionism. If we don’t follow this course, we will become a third world country ourselves. Working people that are not in fear of losing their job will buy products; and that includes automobiles. Will a new shirt and jeans cost you a little more? Maybe. Look at Levi Stauss for an example. There products WERE made in the USA. Not any more. Did the price go down for a pair of jeans? NO. Do Ford and the other manufactures sell their cars made out of the USA with huge discounts? NO.

The whole pyramid scheme of off shoring is beginning to crumble and fall apart. Businesses at the top that ‘got in on the action’ first made the greatest profits. But as more and more companies left the US, our workers became poorer, some even working multiple jobs just to make ends meet. Some just cannot find a job. People were taking second mortgages on their homes using the equity to keep up their spending habits. Credit cards were being used in the same manor. But now, these people have maxed out their credit lines and have nothing else to turn to. They have no money to spend. Sales are down in almost all categories. Now the vicious cycle is starting and will feed upon itself. Layoffs will increase at breakneck speed with sales falling even faster.

Government handouts or bailouts will not help for the long term. It takes people working for sustainable wages for the system to work. If this isn’t changed soon, we will hit rock bottom. Get ready for cardboard shacks and starvation, because the banksters will end the game of life with everything you use to own.

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/11/gm-and-ford-may.html

Everyone knows General Motors, Ford and Chrysler are in deep, deep trouble. Cratering sales, credit downgrades and cash reserves that are dwindling faster than a keg at a frat party have some analysts saying we may see one or two of the Big Three go down for good. Critics like to say Detroit's getting what it deserves because the Japanese build better cars, but guess what -- Toyota isn't looking so great these days, either.

Toyota's stock nosedived 17 percent last week -- its greatest decline in 18 years -- after the company announced it will see an operating profit of just $6.9 billion, a 73.6 percent decline over last year. That's far worse than expected, and it underscores not only the dismal state of the domestic auto market but some strategic mistakes Toyota made on its way to becoming the biggest automaker in the world.

"Toyota has become used to carrying excessive investment, and this has left it vulnerable in a downsizing," Takaki Nakasishi, a J.P. Morgan Securities analyst, told Reuters. "It's important to recognize that the current steep decline in Toyota's earnings is not only a cyclical problem -- the downturn has been exacerbated by its own structural problems."

If Toyota's in trouble, it means a global economic meltdown that has sent auto sales tumbling 32 percent in October alone could shake the entire auto industry to its core.

Toyota has been showing Detroit how it's done for almost two decades now, racking up eight consecutive years of profit growth and consistently delivering profit margins that make competitors drool. For years it seemed the company could do no wrong, cranking out successful cars like the Camry and Prius. Taking advantage of the big three's relative weakness, the company ramped up its sales and marketing operation and aggressively plowed its profits into new North American plants (it now operates 10). It paid off, allowing the company to push its market share from 7.5 percent in 1990 to 16.3 percent today.

But some missteps along the way mean the economic slump is hitting Toyota harder than its Asian rival Honda. Part of it is a timing issue. Seeing a hole in its lineup, Toyota rolled out the full-size Tundra pickup in 2007, just as gasoline prices started skyrocketing and U.S. consumers started abandoning trucks and SUVs in favor of more fuel efficient cars.

Now that the economy is on the skids, the company's breakneck expansion of its U.S. operations isn't looking all that smart, either. The soaring value of the yen hasn't helped, because it's made Japanese exports less competitive and undercuts the value of earnings made in American and elsewhere.

Also hurting the company is its unwritten but understood policy of not laying off permanent employees. It's a wonderful practice, but this year it will cost Toyota $300 million to keep workers on the payroll while its factories sit idle. Nissan, Daimler, GM, Renault, Ford, Volvo and Chrysler don't share Toyota's altruism -- they've all announced layoffs in the last month.

In a way, Toyota is a victim of its own success. It has over the past 20 years transformed itself into one of the two biggest fish (the other being GM) in the pond. But now that pond has turned into a festering swamp of freaked out consumers and eerily quiet dealerships, and it's not such a great place to be.

Toyota won't go the way of Bear Stearns. It has a fat $18.5 billion cash cushion, almost no debt and a big lead in clean technology led by the Prius. Demonstrating its flexibility, it announced earlier this year that it would flip its new plant in Mississippi from building Highlander SUVs to Prius hybrids. And it's speeding up the roll out of new hybrids, with plans to launch four new models next year.

Analysts at JP Morgan have already questioned whether the UAW is doing enough. Legacy costs and labor costs have already been brought up in the media.

This is not a bailout of the Big Three, this is a bailout of the United Auto Workers Union. That's what this is all about, folks. It is a bailout of the United Auto Workers Union.

Read the rest from Rush Limpbaugh here

At least Phil LeBeau on CNBC points out that the UAW has in fact already made concessions...not that that will matter I'm sure. This is a continuation of the demise of the middle class. First it was the steel industry...then the airlines...now the auto industry. Sad.

Phil LeBeau on CNBC talking about UAW

If taxpayer money is on it`s way from Washington D.C. all Ford employees need to participate in helping to ameliorate the latest crisis facing Ford Motor,otherwise there will be a public relation`s disaster.People will resent us even more and may refuse to purchase automobiles produced by the Big Three as a form protest.Please be careful how you respond as there are customers seeking knowledge and also those who have no interest in Ford who read these message boards hoping to catch us hating each other and may even, 'bait'.Remember this current market is unlike the 1970`s.There are many different makes and models of cars for people to chose from.Wake up and realize that the image of the UAW/Ford is important to the Company`s success and our jobs.What any concessions or givebacks should be is beyond my field of expertise.I do not like the thought of it anymore than you do.I am only saying that public opinion is important

SORRY FATSO BUT I'M NOT GIVIN' UP SHIT!!!! THINK ABOUT IT.....$60,000 GRAND A YEAR (IF YER LUCKY) TIMES 30 YEARS EQUALS 1.8 MILLION! BILL, ALAN, MARK AND SO ON ARE LIVIN' HIGH OFF THE HOG.....MAKING FREAKING MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! THE PAST FEW YEARS THE COMPANY HAS BEEN IN A NOSE DIVE AND WHAT HAVE THEY BEEN DOING?????? GIVING THEMSELVES FREAKING MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN BONUS MONEY! GOOD JOB ALAN WE ONLY LOST 2 BILLION INSTEAD OF 3 BILLION THIS QUARTER SO HERES A 20 MIL BONUS FOR YA! HELL, JUST LOOK AT THE PLANT MANAGER AT DTP, HE COULDN'T MANAGE A FRUIT STAND AND HOW MUCH MONEY DOES HE MAKE????? TOO DAMN MUCH, HE SHOULD BE THE FIRST FUCKER FIRED!!!!! CONCESSIONS.....I DON'T THINK SO!!

We could work for $5 an hour and it wouldn't change a thing. Ford, GM and Chrysler would still be in the same mess they are in now. Some of you people have to be company plants. No doubt about it.

How about those that want to open the contract and give concessions just leave the company without a buyout and help that way since you are so concerned with our "public image". Gee, maybe we need to hire some publicist to speak for us and guide our every move and thought like the movie stars do.

No concessions. No way. No how.

Edited by Twincam Harley

We could work for $5 an hour and it wouldn't change a thing. Ford, GM and Chrysler would still be in the same mess they are in now. Some of you people have to be company plants. No doubt about it.

How about those that want to open the contract and give concessions just leave the company without a buyout and help that way since you are so concerned with our "public image". Gee, maybe we need to hire some publicist to speak for us and guide our every move and thought like the movie stars do.

No concessions. No way. No how.

i agree 100%, the cuts have to start from the top, our wages are minimal to what the uppers are making, im all for helping out, but not until they take huge cuts. i read today that there bonuses will be cut even the head dicks bonus, but will believe that when i see it. hears to u General!!!!!!!!!! :reading:

I fail to see how signing away health care for my 4 year old, or agreeing to a paycut would turn the economy around, or gain back the market share that Ford's inept management has pissed away. We've already given the company enough concessions..too many..and what have they done with them?