2006 VW Golf, errrr Rabbit

silvrsvt

Sales were in the toilet the last few years using the Golf name, so they figure no harm.

Now if sales increase along with the new model, who can say if the name had anything to do with it?

I'd consider a diesel version, but other than that I never understood the appeal to some of Volkswagen.

I wasn't around when the Rabbit was, but my impression of the name and car was not highly impressive.

A Golf is a Golf - the name stands for something: A decent entry-level VW. I know people who stand by their Golf happily.

The old Rabbit just reminds me of low-buck, not entry-level.

Bad, bad move.

The worse move was that they are using the "new VW look" - I think the new look is a downstep from, say, the current Jetta. The current Jetta looks classic, even better than the mid-90s Jetta. The newest Jetta looks... bad. Awkward taillights, scrunched up nose ... I think it's unpleasant to look at.

One problem is some still say 'Why do they name a car after a game?"

I like that VW is shaking up the status quo. Sales are declining, and something different is better then boring old stuffiness.

"The current Jetta looks classic, .... The newest Jetta looks... bad."

Umm.. the 'current Jetta' IS the MkV [newest]! The MkIV has been out of production over a year!! Not 'current' at all!!!! rofl

Why do they name a car after a game?

I guess you've never heard of the VW Polo.

VW issues with declining sales had more to do with the age of it's product lineup and drivetrains, not so much design. As much as I hate most of BMWs current styling direction these days, at least you won't mistake a 3 series as a Toyota Corolla from a distance. Instead of trying to break new ground in design, VW should have attempted to break new ground in quality.

One problem is some still say 'Why do they name a car after a game?"

I like that VW is shaking up the status quo. Sales are declining, and something different is better then boring old stuffiness.

"The current Jetta looks classic, .... The newest Jetta looks... bad."

Umm.. the 'current Jetta' IS the MkV [newest]! The MkIV has been out of production over a year!! Not 'current' at all!!!! rofl

Golf was not named after the game of golf. It is a German word for Gulf...

Roadrunner wrote: "The current Jetta looks classic, .... The newest Jetta looks... bad."

Admittedly I wrote that poorly.

But, with that said, I think the 1998-2005 Jetta looks much, much better than the 2006 Jetta.

Edited by Roadrunner

since they're never going to import the Polo, just rename the Golf the Polo and there you have it, a fresh name and it can only help sales.

if you're going to name it Rabbit, just make it a symbol instead of the word, but then they'd surely get sued from Hefner LOL