Huindai Genesis coupe

Sixt9coug

Got this from another forum im on. They arent public so i cant link there, but that guy got it from Honda Tech forums.

Heres what was said

Hyundai had the unfortunate chance to see how its brand new rear-wheel-drive Genesis Coupe performs in a real-world crash when a 2.0 Turbo slammed into the concrete surrounding of a metal pole somewhere in Korea. Despite the severity of the crash and as you can see in the photos that have been circulating around the Korean blogosphere the past few days, it appears that in this particular car, both the driver and front passenger airbags failed to deploy.

To be completely fair, the Coupe's front-body structure looks like it did its job by absorbing most of the energy caused from the impact, which is a good thing in the event of an accident. We're not aware of the details surrounding the crash so if any of you happen to know Korean and you've read something about it in the newss

Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-9-Accident-.jpg

Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-8-Accident-.jpg

Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-10-Accident-.jpg

Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-11-Accident-.jpg

Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-2-Accident-.jpg

Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-3-Accident-.jpg

Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-5-Accident-.jpg

Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-6-Accident-.jpg

Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-7-Accident-1.jpg

Looking at the car, it seems it slid 1/4 sideways into that pole. Airbag would not go off in that case. Passenger cabin did hold up very well considering the severity of the accident. Though if it did slide sideways, there may not have been an amazing amount of pressure on the firewall either.

What I want to know is what the heck the white car is doing in this picture! :)

Edited by Intrepidatious

Looking at the car, it seems it slid 1/4 sideways into that pole. Airbag would not go off in that case. Passenger cabin did hold up very well considering the severity of the accident. Though if it did slide sideways, there may not have been an amazing amount of pressure on the firewall either.

What I want to know is what the heck the white car is doing in this picture! :)

Doesnt the Genesis have side airbags though?

FWD Wheelie!!!

Doesnt the Genesis have side airbags though?

FWD Wheelie!!!

Inertia of a frontal slide/side impact would make the car spin round on its center...generally the passenger compartment. So any force needed in the passenger compartment to make the side airbags go off would not be present.

I was hit in a similar fashion a few years ago at an angled intersection. A lady ran a red light that had just turned green for me. Tore off almost the entire front end of my car at an angle very similar to the car pictured above. My front and side airbags did not go off either.

I know seeing damage to that extent with no airbags makes many people think that something was at fault with the car, but airbags are meant to go off in certain circumstances...not all.

It was hard enough from the front to bend the freaking steering wheel. I'd hope it would be hard enough to deploy the airbags.

From the V in the hood, it looks like there were at least two hits, one from each corner. I would guess there was an angled frontal impact on the driver's side with another vehicle, which also took the driver's door skin completely off. The pole seems to be a secondary hit on the front passenger corner. It would explain why the car is still sitting right next to the pole, on the passenger side.

As to the airbags not going off, my Probe took a similar hit, except on the passenger side, with less intrusion, and my airbags deployed. Still, we really don't know the specifics of the initial hit.

Guess the Red "STOP" button on top of the dash wasn't pressed in time ;)

:hysterical:

From the V in the hood, it looks like there were at least two hits, one from each corner. I would guess there was an angled frontal impact on the driver's side with another vehicle, which also took the driver's door skin completely off. The pole seems to be a secondary hit on the front passenger corner. It would explain why the car is still sitting right next to the pole, on the passenger side.

As to the airbags not going off, my Probe took a similar hit, except on the passenger side, with less intrusion, and my airbags deployed. Still, we really don't know the specifics of the initial hit.

Looking at this picture, notice the dent (or what looks like a dent) right behind the passenger door? I wonder what role (if any) that played in this accident and/or what caused it.

Edited by rmc523

Well, certainly good to see that the airbags worked. :nonono:

I just got off the Hyundai USA web site and could not find a Genesis Coupe. The article said this was a 2.0 Genesis coupe. Clearly this is not a vehicle available here yet. So since it was not U.S. saftey compliant it may hav not had as much safety engineering a U.S. model would have had. Just a guess.

5mph bumpers wouldnt have done much in this case ;). nor would side airbags have helped the way this car just collapsed on itself. The deformation of the A Pillar is pretty harsh. This guy hit HARD, and the bags should have deployed. Slanty angle or not, the sensors should have tripped it off as it was a very, very sudden stop.

The hit in the rear passenger panel I think might have been that beem/bumper bouncing back towards the car. I dont think it made a contact with the pole because I dont see cement scraps, just a dent so I'm guessing it was caused by debris..and it's a soft bump dent, if it were a harder item, the creases on the dent would be more defined. The steering wheel received a hard hit from possible the guys head, look how the top rim is bent a bit.

Because of the axle, and intrusion into the cabin, I'm guessing it's a 50-60MPH hit. I believe the force was more head on, that quarter side panel involved mainly because the roof panel seems to not have creased much, leaving me to believe the hit was more from the front, and less from the side, I'm guessing it hit the area between the front left headlight to the opening of the wheel well just by looking at the bumper brace and the way it's facing str8, rather then downward...a more side impact would have made it turn downwards.

Notice the driver side window was down as well, yet not the passenger, so I'm guessing he was alone probably showing off as his slamming the gas to go into a ramp. I really dont see an excuse why the airbags didn't pop. An impact this hard should have caused them to go off, and the way the bumper is crushed, it should have hit the trigger easily.

And, whichever city this happened in... Seeing from the pictures of that intersection, it's of very poor decision that this pole isn't protected by some barrier. Whether it's the barrels full of water, or the metal guard rails. The pole is too exposed between those lanes not to have some sort of protection to lessen this type of an accident. Anyone know what city this occured in ?

did it have airbags? Could this have been a preproduction model?

Will have to wait and see if there will be a lawsuit to find out.

Or,,,,, will it be a recall? :reading:

Jalopnik says it was wearing a "temp plate'. They're theorizing that it was actually a manufacturers plate and it was a non-salable pre-production model. IMO, even if it was a pre-production model, if they're going to let employees drive them on the street, the safety devices need to be active. :nonono:

Looking at this picture, notice the dent (or what looks like a dent) right behind the passenger door? I wonder what role (if any) that played in this accident and/or what caused it.

Think like ANTAUS below. Was either debris or buckling of the side panel from the impact. No scratches or creases to show any significant amount of impact.

Its totalled. I"d almost bet on it. Damage looks really bad to severe. If the guy is injured, LAWSUIT. No airbag deployment. Thats what a cheap fast car will get you, KILLED.

Um, yeah, just a little bit!

The hit in the rear passenger panel I think might have been that beem/bumper bouncing back towards the car. I dont think it made a contact with the pole because I dont see cement scraps, just a dent so I'm guessing it was caused by debris..and it's a soft bump dent, if it were a harder item, the creases on the dent would be more defined.

Agreed!

The steering wheel received a hard hit from possible the guys head, look how the top rim is bent a bit.

Thought that was the new design format for steering wheels for vertically challenged people. Too many blue hairs around here looking thru the wheel than over.