Ford benefits from CEO's turn to road less traveled

I'm betting on him. Purchased stock three times in the last 5 mo.

4d4evr

Same here, except every time I bought Ford stock, it went down by half (to 4 to 2 to 1 dollar/share). I bought even more as it went down, dropping from a great deal to super bargain. I finally got smart and stopped buying Ford so it wouldn't drop any more. ;) Anyway, it's coming back and I'm making money!

I started reading about Ford as part of buying my new Taurus X. The more I learn about Mulally and what Ford's been doing, the more I'm extremely impressed with the company:

• business resizing to fit demand
  • getting loans upfront for new redevelopment and survival
  • Mulally hiring in Farley from Toyota to head marketing
  • Cleaning up the upper management with the help of Bill Ford
  • renewed emphasis on small cars and good gas mileage
  • EcoBoost
  • SYNC and other excellent electronic interfaces.
  • greatly improved reliability - moving up with Toyota on defects, and top of Consumer Reports charts
  • top in safety according to IIHS - 6 of 16 top rated cars were from Ford (including my Taurus X)
  • importing great small cars designs from Europe
  • innovative new designs across the board from Vista/Fiesta to Flex to F150 to Explorer America.

This is just to mention a few of many major advances I'm seeing happening over the last couple years at Ford. It drives me nuts to see Ford lumped in with the "Detroit 3" as an example of a dead industry that needs to change. It's to Alan Mulally's credit he didn't scream back at the idiots in Congress as they were lambasting him for not changing Ford's business - exactly what he already started years ago, and more. However, Ford did finally start doing more promoting how much Ford is different to many news sources, like this linked story. Yet in spite of the major releases, still nobody seems to listen.

The re-invention of Ford seems to have started first with Bill Ford a few years back, in a real attempt at change and saving the family business. But he needed someone outside to swing the hatchets and push hard to get things done. Boy did he pick the right guy with Mulally.

Edited by LarryQW

Same here, except every time I bought Ford stock, it went down by half (to 4 to 2 to 1 dollar/share). I bought even more as it went down, dropping from a great deal to super bargain. I finally got smart and stopped buying Ford so it wouldn't drop any more. ;) Anyway, it's coming back and I'm making money!

I started reading about Ford as part of buying my new Taurus X. The more I learn about Mulally and what Ford's been doing, the more I'm extremely impressed with the company:

• business resizing to fit demand
  • getting loans upfront for new redevelopment and survival
  • Mulally hiring in Farley from Toyota to head marketing
  • Cleaning up the upper management with the help of Bill Ford
  • renewed emphasis on small cars and good gas mileage
  • EcoBoost
  • SYNC and other excellent electronic interfaces.
  • greatly improved reliability - moving up with Toyota on defects, and top of Consumer Reports charts
  • top in safety according to IIHS - 6 of 16 top rated cars were from Ford (including my Taurus X)
  • importing great small cars designs from Europe
  • innovative new designs across the board from Vista/Fiesta to Flex to F150 to Explorer America.

This is just to mention a few of many major advances I'm seeing happening over the last couple years at Ford. It drives me nuts to see Ford lumped in with the "Detroit 3" as an example of a dead industry that needs to change. It's to Alan Mulally's credit he didn't scream back at the idiots in Congress as they were lambasting him for not changing Ford's business - exactly what he already started years ago, and more. However, Ford did finally start doing more promoting how much Ford is different to many news sources, like this linked story. Yet in spite of the major releases, still nobody seems to listen.

The re-invention of Ford seems to have started first with Bill Ford a few years back, in a real attempt at change and saving the family business. But he needed someone outside to swing the hatchets and push hard to get things done. Boy did he pick the right guy with Mulally.

Back when Bill Ford hired Mulally, there were many so-called "pundits" who said it was a bad decision and he'd drive Ford into the ground due to his lack of knowledge about the auto business. It seems to me that his not being a "Detroit insider" is what's saving Ford right now.

Back when Bill Ford hired Mulally, there were many so-called "pundits" who said it was a bad decision and he'd drive Ford into the ground due to his lack of knowledge about the auto business. It seems to me that his not being a "Detroit insider" is what's saving Ford right now.

exactly.

you don't have to be a car guy to see the system is broken.

too many dealers

too much capacity

poor quality (or perception of quality)

unexciting models

having an outsider is exactly what Ford needed.

Of course, Mulally isn't just an outsider. He is an accomplished executive that has actually built something.

Unlike Nardelli at Chrysler whose record at Home Depot was the Jack Welch "slash n burn" approach only out to increase shareholder value, not actually save and rebuild the company.