UAW headed to Detroit to discuss revising contracts

let the speculation begin

Here is my speculation or venting you might call it: Everyone should stand up and be counted and then bend over. We are about to be inducted

into the class of the WORKING POOR. You might know someone who works two jobs and his wife works also just to keep the wolf off the porch (no, not extra

money to save) I would suggest getting to know them better and ask them how they do it, BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE WE ARE ALL HEADED!!!!!!! :reading: :banghead:

"Ford Motor Co. has not asked for federal loans, but said it might do so if the economy deteriorates further. Ford is expected to seek any concessions from the union that GM and Chrysler receive as part of their federal aid package."

We better put our waders on, it might get deep.

:reading: Now is the time for all of the support we as a union gave the dems to pay off. Bush will be gone to the delight of many, now this situation falls to the men and women who expect our support and promise much. If they do not deliver we need to "motivate" them to. The dems are on the clock and will be held accountable by me. Just like the reps. were. This is gonna get ugly. I believe they have already decided our fate , just trying to figure out how to implement it. :finger:

If we do end up giving up concessions, I hope the Uaw keeps us the members in mind when they do this. I don't want to give up my hrly rate, I suggest they start with things like legal services, optical, dental, consider doing away with things like the joint programs and nickel fund these are both expensive benafits which only get used by those who the local Chairmen choose to send to rediculously expensive training sesions at Black lake or at some Mariott. Sell the Joint programs building downtown next to Heart plaza even in a bad economy that is a prime peice of real estate.

My point is that there are some sacrifices that we could make that would minimally effect the quality of life for us on the floor. A $1 hr pay cut equates to over $2000 dollars per year per employee, I dont know the exact cost of the above said benafits butI know when I go to Svs to get glasses I still end up paying $300 i could damn near go out and get my glasses on my own for less than that. Legal service is a joke even if you use them once a year which most do not you could probobally find a high quality experienced Lawer to take on anything that legal services can handle for less than $500. A dentist appointment is under $100 (orthadontist limit on my ins. is $1500 for a life time).

Since I am at local sucks hundred and not part of the green caucus or anyone's cousin or brother in law I will never benefit from the all expense paid vacations which the nickel fund and joint programs provide for officals and there friends. Lets see if the union shares in the sacrafice of its members by giving up it's discretionary funds.

My point is that I think we could easily pay for all of the services out of pocket for under $2000 per year and I am sure that it costs the company more than that to provide us with these benafits. No one wants concesions . I just think that "if "they are inevitable we need to research all avenues of cost cutting without sacraficing the membership's pay.

And of course this will be agreed upon by 51% of the membership. Just like the last contract all they looked at was you drivers license and didn't even check to see if you were a UAW member or how many times you voted. :shades:

Really? I was required to produce an Id card (Ford) or a union card. My name was then found on the rolls and marked off as voting.

If we do end up giving up concessions, I hope the Uaw keeps us the members in mind when they do this. I don't want to give up my hrly rate, I suggest they start with things like legal services, optical, dental, consider doing away with things like the joint programs and nickel fund these are both expensive benafits which only get used by those who the local Chairmen choose to send to rediculously expensive training sesions at Black lake or at some Mariott. Sell the Joint programs building downtown next to Heart plaza even in a bad economy that is a prime peice of real estate.

My point is that there are some sacrifices that we could make that would minimally effect the quality of life for us on the floor. A $1 hr pay cut equates to over $2000 dollars per year per employee, I dont know the exact cost of the above said benafits butI know when I go to Svs to get glasses I still end up paying $300 i could damn near go out and get my glasses on my own for less than that. Legal service is a joke even if you use them once a year which most do not you could probobally find a high quality experienced Lawer to take on anything that legal services can handle for less than $500. A dentist appointment is under $100 (orthadontist limit on my ins. is $1500 for a life time).

Since I am at local sucks hundred and not part of the green caucus or anyone's cousin or brother in law I will never benefit from the all expense paid vacations which the nickel fund and joint programs provide for officals and there friends. Lets see if the union shares in the sacrafice of its members by giving up it's discretionary funds.

My point is that I think we could easily pay for all of the services out of pocket for under $2000 per year and I am sure that it costs the company more than that to provide us with these benafits. No one wants concesions . I just think that "if "they are inevitable we need to research all avenues of cost cutting without sacraficing the membership's pay.

I have never used SVS, after the horror stories brought back to the plant I would rather go to a private doctor. Hell you pay almost the same anyway.

they should get rid of joint programs but ,they wont or the International will go broke its not like they count on our dues anymore thats the payoff fund thats why the union has been so passive when it comes to reducing membership i hope they allow transfers to mexico

First off, why is the international negotiating with the Ford’s about concessions? Second let’s not forget what happened to Caterpillar and McClouth Steel, when they both agreed to concessions. Not long after they closed any way.

The UAW Auto workers will have to take 0 pay in order for the big 3 to survive. That’s even questionable with our benefits costing (on average) 41 an hour. Until NAFTA is truly fixed, until health care costs are lowered, until each state Senator that help foreign auto manufactures equal the help for the big 3, until these things happen, our manufacturing jobs are done.

I know that it must be hard to be in the position of the International currently. Never before has one faced such demise.

When do we say enough is enough?

1. JSP is changing or either going away.

2. VEBA costs pushed back (and this cost isn’t even off their books yet)

3. 20% of the work force at lower wage.

4. Non core jobs at a lower wage

5. Cost of living no where to be found for years

6. Out sourcing of Hi-Lo jobs, Engine Line jobs, Entire Plastics departments, Repair Jobs, Axle Shops and the list goes on.

7. Manufacturing jobs moved over seas and everyone up to and including our Government asking what happened to the economy. Gee I wonder if losing nearly 4 million manufacturing jobs (recently) had or has anything to do with it.

This list could go on and on.

Then to top this all off, all 3 companies told the government and everyone watching that their intention is to cut more jobs and close more plants. Yea, that’s going to help with the economy. Talk about clueless, Congressmen are you that stupid?

So please stop coming on this thread and stating what your willing to give up. We have given enough; we are 10% of the total vehicle cost. Attack the other 90%, bottom line. If we go belly up because we fought for out need of a better life for our families and their future, then I for one can live with that. I’m not going to stand for selling out so they (Our very own Government, Our Union and the Big 3) can take away the last remaining middle class American Auto workers, rights, benefits, wages and jobs period.

For all you other middle class workers that are not tied to the auto industry. If it happens and we auto workers lose our benefits, our wage’s and retirements. Guess who’s next?

First off, why is the international negotiating with the Ford's about concessions?

For all you other middle class workers that are not tied to the auto industry. If it happens and we auto workers lose our benefits, our wage's and retirements. Guess who's next?

First why might the International negotiate with Ford? Two word: Pattern Bargaining. Anything negotiated with GM & Chrysler will have to be done with Ford, like it or not. Sucks, but that's the way it works.

Secondly, as far as "Guess who's next?" - I think you're 100% right. Not only that, I wonder if the people at the transplants are watching - UAW wages go down, guess who else is next, in the name of being "competitive"?

We are not giving up anything, yet. If we give up anything, it will be similar to the concessions that GM and Chrysler make, If any. They may not give up anything but you can bet if they do, Ford will seek similar concessions in order to "compete".
Absolutely correct.

First off, why is the international negotiating with the Ford’s about concessions? Second let’s not forget what happened to Caterpillar and McClouth Steel, when they both agreed to concessions. Not long after they closed any way.

The UAW Auto workers will have to take 0 pay in order for the big 3 to survive. That’s even questionable with our benefits costing (on average) 41 an hour. Until NAFTA is truly fixed, until health care costs are lowered, until each state Senator that help foreign auto manufactures equal the help for the big 3, until these things happen, our manufacturing jobs are done.

I know that it must be hard to be in the position of the International currently. Never before has one faced such demise.

6. Out sourcing of Hi-Lo jobs, Engine Line jobs, Entire Plastics departments, Repair Jobs, Axle Shops and the list goes on.

7. Manufacturing jobs moved over seas and everyone up to and including our Government asking what happened to the economy. Gee I wonder if losing nearly 4 million manufacturing jobs (recently) had or has anything to do with it.

Then to top this all off, all 3 companies told the government and everyone watching that their intention is to cut more jobs and close more plants. Yea, that’s going to help with the economy. Talk about clueless, Congressmen are you that stupid?

So please stop coming on this thread and stating what your willing to give up. We have given enough; we are 10% of the total vehicle cost. Attack the other 90%, bottom line. If we go belly up because we fought for out need of a better life for our families and their future, then I for one can live with that. I’m not going to stand for selling out so they (Our very own Government, Our Union and the Big 3) can take away the last remaining middle class American Auto workers, rights, benefits, wages and jobs period.

For all you other middle class workers that are not tied to the auto industry. If it happens and we auto workers lose our benefits, our wage’s and retirements. Guess who’s next?

:party2: :party2:

Hell Yeah!

GOOD POST!

I Usually just read many of the treads, that all walks of life post on Blue Oval and many I think are RIDICLOUS! But I have to give many credits to your post ReDemption. I definitely agree with you and God Bless those of us that are sick and tired of giving, giving and giving out of the 10% of our cost of a vehicle even though we are blamed for the 100% of the problem. I say of the true believers (that are left) of the U.A.W. and for which the original standards where set! Lets once again get back to fighting for the workers rights instead making the Politicians, wall street and over paid Salaried dumb asses happy and stop them from pointing the finger at "US" the ones actually take pride in the back breaking, knuckle busting, building of the great BLUE OVAL FORD!