2010/11 Explorer, where is going to be built?

We know that the next Explorer is going to be based on the D3, but the question is where is going to be built?

I know Chicago is way underultitized, esp with the Taurus X and Sable going away. I'm not sure that the new Taurus is going to light the sale charts on fire either, but I think 100-120K year is resonable for it. The MKS is also built there but if that sells more then 40-50K units a year I'll be plesently suprised..

Then we have Oakville, which produces the Edge and Flex. The Edge can sell at least 140K units if not more and well the Flex is off to a very flat start at the moment, but I guess 75-100K units is reasonable.

So figuring that the Current Explorer sells about 150K units a year and might rise if it gets good MPG, where would Ford stick it? I'd think Oakville would get the nod since its already building a large boxy car off the D3 platform, but your still left with Chicago being underultized...

Options??

Could someone advise if the paint shop and the dipping process is a problem?

I remember seeing someone post regarding size/height restrictions on vehicles at Chicago.

If so, surely that could be easily upgraded if it were a problem?

I'd be surprised if that will really be a problem for the Explorer at chicago. From what I saw on the concept, the body dimensions (exluding wheels and tires) is similar to the Taurus X. If that could make it through the line, then the Explorer should as well.

We know that the next Explorer is going to be based on the D3, but the question is where is going to be built?

I know Chicago is way underultitized, esp with the Taurus X and Sable going away. I'm not sure that the new Taurus is going to light the sale charts on fire either, but I think 100-120K year is resonable for it. The MKS is also built there but if that sells more then 40-50K units a year I'll be plesently suprised..

Then we have Oakville, which produces the Edge and Flex. The Edge can sell at least 140K units if not more and well the Flex is off to a very flat start at the moment, but I guess 75-100K units is reasonable.

So figuring that the Current Explorer sells about 150K units a year and might rise if it gets good MPG, where would Ford stick it? I'd think Oakville would get the nod since its already building a large boxy car off the D3 platform, but your still left with Chicago being underultized...

Options??

Definitlely Chicago......Oakville builds not only the Edge and Flex, but also the MKX and soon to be MKT. That is four vehicles for Oakville. I'm sure Ford hopes to build at least 100,000 Flexes someday when economy improves. So that leaves underutilized Chicago for Explorer. Ford PR wise can't afford to shut down Chicago and move it all to Canada when asking for line of credit. It needs to give U.S. product to show it cares about putting Americans to work with Fed money.

I'd be surprised if that will really be a problem for the Explorer at chicago. From what I saw on the concept, the body dimensions (exluding wheels and tires) is similar to the Taurus X. If that could make it through the line, then the Explorer should as well.

I agree with this assessment that e-coat dip and paint should not be a problem at Chicago.

The Explorer is essentially a rebodied Taurus X. True, it might be a bit higher up in the air (which will probably require new suspension arms), but the body size is roughly the same, so it should be no problem and no expensive paint shop revisions for Chicago.

So, when Chicago settles down, it will be building 3 models -- Taurus, MKS, and Explorer. This 3-model mix is what the plant was originally built for (500, Monterey, Freestyle), and that leaves enough flex for model changeover with little disruption to the other models just as in the original plan.

Also, when you think of both Louisville and MTP for small car sites, they also both have e-coat dip tanks and paint shops to support large utilities. So....all variations of small cars should be able to fit with no trouble including utilities, people carriers, and small vans/commercial vehicles. I'm not so sure about very tall/large commercial vehicles such as Transit.

E-coat dip tanks and paint shops can be very, very expensive if you have to mess with them......Since you have to dip the total vehicle, both depth and length are important in e-coat as the vehicle is on a moving line. And size and length of the paint shop is also critical. If you try to put a larger vehicle in a smaller plant, you can find yourself hemmed in by physical plant constraints which take $$ to fix.