Transit Connect, Underwhelming Fuel Economy

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the transit connect is not a full sized van and cannot replace the e-series

I don't believe that anyone here thinks that Transit Connect is slated to replace Econoline....but a commonly developed replacement for Euro full size Transit and Econoline, sharing chassis, body panels, and suspension pieces is a distinct reality due to Fords' insistence of common chassis development.

The transit connect is being tested in the US and imported for the time being from Turkey.

If the transit connect becomes a hit in the US a different engine and transmission will be used.

Keep in mind that thte transit connect supports FWD, RWD or AWD configurations.

The most likely scenerio is the 2.0 turbo DI engine with a US built 6 speed. This configuration would provide near 200HP and 200lbs of torque at a break even selling cost when compared to importing the truck from Turkey.

Finally, if this happens it will not happen till 2014... at the earliest.

Edited by Mackintire

I saw the Transit at the show, but I know there is a Federalized version yet to be unveiled in Chicago. It's definitely not a civilian vehicle, but I'm absolutely certain there is a market for it considering the volume of the E-Series. There is clearly an opportunity here for Ford and I'm surprised to see them going to this length to test the waters. Clearly you can't make much profit on a vehicle imported from Turkey. Actually, this is very unusual for Ford, importing fully assembled vehicles from outside the continent, it hasn't been done since the Ford Aspire and Mercury Capri.

Edited by BORG

I don't believe that anyone here thinks that Transit Connect is slated to replace Econoline....but a commonly developed replacement for Euro full size Transit and Econoline, sharing chassis, body panels, and suspension pieces is a distinct reality due to Fords' insistence of common chassis development.

To me, the Transit Connect is very close to the original Dodge Caravan from the 80's. It was small, boxy and came with a 4 cylinder. The Caravan has an engine that was 20% larger, but with modern technology, I would not be surprised if the Caravan only had a 3 speed and the Transit C. had more power.

Since then, the Dodge has become longer and more powerful to serve the the consumer, luxury market. This leaves the origial small commercial van market open for the Transit C.

The transit connect is being tested in the US and imported for the time being from Turkey.

If the transit connect becomes a hit in the US a different engine and transmission will be used.

Keep in mind that thte transit connect supports FWD, RWD or AWD configurations.

The most likely scenerio is the 2.0 turbo DI engine with a US built 6 speed. This configuration would provide near 200HP and 200lbs of torque at a break even selling cost when compared to importing the truck from Turkey.

Finally, if this happens it will not happen till 2014... at the earliest.

I thinks Ford already has an idea how the Transit C. will sell. It will make a profit, filling a small part of the Commercial market. It will not be a barn burner.

I can see the Transit-C eventually getting EcoBoost, maybe 1.6L. I can see productution staying in Turkey using European 6 speed DCT. Note the current European transmission can handle more torque than the first US DCT.

It will be redesigned to the C2 platform, just as part of regular upgrades. This will give it better styling, maybe a little bigger, better fuel efficiency and more appeal to the US consumer and US commercial market. The plans would have been in the works for a long time, not because of a surprise success, so I would expect the new one to be a little sooner than 2014. I could be wrong.

I really think the Transit-C could be a real cool consumer van by 2013-2014.

So Ford knows the Transit Connect's powertrain is inadequate for the American market, as they are planing to make the investment to upgrade it "if it becomes a hit in the US."

Question is how do they expect it to become a "hit" when even they admit it needs a powertrain upgrade.

A little American truck market history.

The Ford Courier was a re-badged Mazda compact truck Ford imported from Japan from 1972-1982. It wasn't very successful even though it was introduced during the first oil crisis and had percieved "Japanese quality."

Before the first Ford Ranger the only compact pickups on the US market were foreign designed and built, Toyota and Nissan owned the market. Shortly after the Ranger was introduced it took the sales lead from the established Japanese and kept it for many years. Mazda now rebadges ans sells the Ranger as their B-Series.

It seems when Ford makes a real commitment to design and build an American truck for the US market they set sales records...when they try to import a foreign truck or a quick cheap rebadge the results are hardly worth the effort.

Edited by F250

So Ford knows the Transit Connect's powertrain is inadequate for the American market, as they are planing to make the investment to upgrade it "if it becomes a hit in the US."

Question is how do they expect it to become a "hit" when even they admit it needs a powertrain upgrade.

A little American truck market history.

The Ford Courier was a re-badged Mazda compact truck Ford imported from Japan from 1972-1982. It wasn't very successful even though it was introduced during the first oil crisis and had percieved "Japanese quality."

Before the first Ford Ranger the only compact pickups on the US market were foreign designed and built, Toyota and Nissan owned the market. Shortly after the Ranger was introduced it took the sales lead from the established Japanese and kept it for many years. Mazda now rebadges ans sells the Ranger as their B-Series.

It seems when Ford makes a real commitment to design and build an American truck for the US market they set sales records...when they try to import a foreign truck or a quick cheap rebadge the results are hardly worth the effort.

The Ranger and The TC are NOT the Same. the markets are NOT the Same, Today is NOT the same as 30 years ago. Ford has been testing the the TC for many yaers for the US market. IT is An integral part of Ford's North American Truck strategy.

Still waiting on Wiz to produce a picture of his SLA suspension setup on his Econoline....I have been looking at Econolines....every last one of 'em has twin I beams.....except the 4X4 conversions that is.... :hysterical:

Keep waiting. It is -3F this morning !

BTW, I did say "E150" and all of the pictures shown have been from the Super Duty E Series !

Edited by theoldwizard

but I'm absolutely certain there is a market for it considering the volume of the E-Series. There is clearly an opportunity here for Ford and I'm surprised to see them going to this length to test the waters.

the obvious market is that left vacant by GM getting out of the Astro/Safari panel van business.

One only needs to look in the downtown core of major cities to look at the variety of small vehicles being used for commerical purposes (Vibe, minivans, Rangers with caps, Focus wagons etc).

One only needs to look in the downtown core of major cities to look at the variety of small vehicles being used for commerical purposes (Vibe, minivans, Rangers with caps, Focus wagons etc).

Scion has actually carved out a pretty substantial niche for itself in the courier market as well. I've seen a ton of xB's and xD's converted to delivery/service vehicles.

Scion has actually carved out a pretty substantial niche for itself in the courier market as well. I've seen a ton of xB's and xD's converted to delivery/service vehicles.

I already have interest and orders from a company that has been utilizing PT Cruisers ( apparently they are AWFUL for this purpose ) and HHR's. Scions were thrown around but their capacity is substandard, and their Chevy Astros ( they have approx 20 ) are 200k plus miles and costing an arm and a leg to maintain....

I personal;ly haven't seen any Scions, but I believe it.

A big ole' Econoline is a gas hog. The Sprinter is too tall to fit into underground parking.

So, yeah. Anything that can act as a hauler, sip fuel, manuever in traffic and fit in garages will sell for downtown tradespeople and deliveries

Keep waiting. It is -3F this morning !

BTW, I did say "E150" and all of the pictures shown have been from the Super Duty E Series !

Oh...I'm sorry....you must've missed the part where I said every Econoline has twin I beams....every one of 'em!!! And just to be sure, I was at my local Ford dealer getting my Fusion looked at and whaddaya know....2009 E150....surprise....twin I beams!!!!

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/eseries/gallery/index.asp

If you notice...when it is describing the E-Series, it refers to the suspension system of E-Series, the front suspension is twin I beams for E150, E250, E-350....etc etc etc....just admit it Wiz....you are not correct. E-Series has twin I beams, not SLA....it does however, have ball joints....attached to the top and bottom of the I beam.....

And I suppose I will continue to wait...I don't care if it is 80 degrees and sunny....you will never be able to take that picture since it has twin I beams....

Edited by twintornados

http://apps.dealerconnection.com/dealers/l...lerPACode=08559

Here is a cut -n- paste of the above link to an actual 2008 E150 Econoline van.....I highlighted the appropriate section below. Enjoy your pablum Wiz!!!

********************************************************************************

Disclaimer: This window sticker is only representative of the information contained on an actual window sticker, and may or may not match the actual Window Sticker on the vehicle itself. Please see your retailer for further information.

Vehicle Description

VIN 1FTNE14L98DA11584

ECONOLINE

2008 E150 CARGO VAN

5.4L EFI V8 ENGINE

ELECT. 4-SPD AUTO O/D TRANS

Exterior

OXFORD WHITE CLEARCOAT

Interior

MEDIUM FLINT

Standard Equipment INCLUDED AT NO EXTRA CHARGE

EXTERIOR

. INTERVAL WIPERS

. SOLAR TINTED GLASS

. HINGED SIDE CARGO DOOR

. SEALED HALOGEN HEADLAMPS

. LT225/75R16E BSW TIRES

. MANUAL TELESCOPIC TT MIRRORS

. SPARE TIRE AND WHEEL

. BLK NOSTRIL BAR GRILLE

. BUMPERS, BLACK

INTERIOR

. AM/FM STEREO W/CLOCK

. TILT STEERING WHEEL

. TACHOMETER

. VINYL FRONT HEADLINER

. DUAL VINYL BUCKET SEATS

. CENTER & REAR CARGO LIGHT

. FRONT VINYL FLOOR COVERING

. AIR COND, MANUAL FRONT

FUNCTIONAL

. TWIN I-BEAM INDEPENDENT FRONT SUSPENSION

. ELEC THROTTLE CTRL

. POWER STEERING

. HANDLING PACKAGE

. AUX TRANSMISSION COOLER

. POWERPOINT, FRONT

. 35 GALLON FUEL TANK

SAFETY/SECURITY

. 4-WHEEL ANTI-LOCK DISC BRAKING SYSTEM

. DRIVER/PASSENGER AIR BAGS

. PRETENSIONING FRT SEATBLTS

. SIDE IMPACT DOOR BEAMS

. HIGH MOUNT STOP LAMP

WARRANTY

. 3YR/36000 BUMPER TO BUMPER

. 5YR/60,000 POWERTRAIN

. 5YR/60,000 ROADSIDE ASSIST

Price Information MSRP

STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $23,725

Optional Equipment

138 INCH WHEELBASE

2008 MODEL YEAR

OXFORD WHITE CLEARCOAT

MEDIUM FLINT VINYL

PREFERRED EQUIPMENT PKG.740A

.STANDARD TRIM

.AIR COND FRT ONLY-CFC FREE

.ELEC AM/FM STEREO W/CLOCK

.16" SPORT WHEEL COVER

.16" STEEL WHEEL - SRW

5.4L EFI V8 ENGINE $975

ELECT. 4-SPD AUTO O/D TRANS

.LT225/75RX16E BSW ALL-SEASON

3.55 RATIO REGULAR AXLE X29

COMMERCIAL CARGO VAN PACKAGE $1,125

.SPEED CONTROL

.MIRRORS, PWR RH & LH EXTERIOR

.BLACK REAR STEP BUMPER

.POWER GROUP

.REMOTE KEYLESS ENT/PANIC ALAR

COMMERCIAL VAN PACKAGE DISC. $-1,125

FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET

VINYL FLR CVRG, FRONT & REAR $65

SWNGOUT SD/FIX RRCARGO SIDEFLP $185

8600# GVWR PACKAGE

DULUXE ENG CVR CONSOLE C/K $40

TRAILER TOWING PKG CLASS I

DOOR, SLIDING SIDE CARGO $100

INSIDE REARVIEW MIRROR

QUIET FLEX COMPOSITE RAX&BINS

TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS $25,090

DESTINATION & DELIVERY $870

TOTAL MSRP $25,960

Disclaimer: Option pricing will be blank for any item that is priced as 0 or "No Charge".

Estimated Annual Fuel Cost: $

CITY MPG

HIGHWAY MPG

Vehicle Engine Information

NOT APPLICABLE TO THIS UNIT

Actual mileage will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits and vehicle's condition. Results reported to EPA indicate that the majority of vehicles with these estimates will achieve between and mpg in the city and between and mpg on the highway.

For Comparison Shopping all vehicles classified as have been issued mileage ratings from to mpg city and to mpg highway.