Next Focus could net over 40MPG

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Focus SES with those smokey wheels is a real standout car!

If I were to get the 17" painted wheels, I would almost have to go to TireRack and get a set of winter-only wheels and tires. The potholes that pop up around here this time of year and in the spring would eat the 17's alive.

If I were to get the 17" painted wheels, I would almost have to go to TireRack and get a set of winter-only wheels and tires. The potholes that pop up around here this time of year and in the spring would eat the 17's alive.

We must live in the same state? ;)

The winter routinely reminds me why I only buy AWD with beefy tires and good ground clearance ;)

Fixed that for ya!

Exactly. Let's wait for them to actually bring us a GOOD compact car (sorry folks, the current Focus still doesn't do a thing for me) and THEN let them build the fun tuner version of it.

Meh, Chevy and Dodge both offer a decent compact tuner and have been doing so for a few years now. Ford just has thier heads up thier ass and are afraid of a little compact dipping into thier Mustang sales. Ford NEEDS to offer something like the RS in the U.S. Although the SHO is a cool concept, but not everyone is into big bulky cars with autos.

If the European Focus is gonna by built here, why not offer it? Its already offered in Europe so its not like its gonna have to be designed from the ground up. Its just gonna have to be modified to our crash standards and to run on 91oct.

Subaru and Mitsu have been selling the RS's WRC rival's since 2003 in the U.S. and have been doing just fine, but Ford seems to think there isn't a market for a hopped up Focus. They failed with the SVT, Rousch, and Saleens cause they were SLOW and only the SVT compared to its import competition in handling only.

Meh, Chevy and Dodge both offer a decent compact tuner and have been doing so for a few years now. Ford just has thier heads up thier ass and are afraid of a little compact dipping into thier Mustang sales. Ford NEEDS to offer something like the RS in the U.S. Although the SHO is a cool concept, but not everyone is into big bulky cars with autos.

The Cobalt SS and Caliber SR-4 are decent in the power department. Beyond that, they are still miserable compact cars. I'd much rather see a good base model than a crappy expensive model with a lot of power.

If the European Focus is gonna by built here, why not offer it? Its already offered in Europe so its not like its gonna have to be designed from the ground up. Its just gonna have to be modified to our crash standards and to run on 91oct.

I'm not even sure what you are trying to say here. The European Focus is already built here? What "here" are you referring to?

Subaru and Mitsu have been selling the RS's WRC rival's since 2003 in the U.S. and have been doing just fine, but Ford seems to think there isn't a market for a hopped up Focus. They failed with the SVT, Rousch, and Saleens cause they were SLOW and only the SVT compared to its import competition in handling only.

The market is small, at best. Subaru and Mitsubishi are not exactly volume brands in the U.S. if you haven't noticed. Ford needs to aim at a larger market with their product than those brands do.

The Cobalt SS and Caliber SR-4 are decent in the power department. Beyond that, they are still miserable compact cars. I'd much rather see a good base model than a crappy expensive model with a lot of power.

I'm not even sure what you are trying to say here. The European Focus is already built here? What "here" are you referring to?

The market is small, at best. Subaru and Mitsubishi are not exactly volume brands in the U.S. if you haven't noticed. Ford needs to aim at a larger market with their product than those brands do.

I guess you didn't see Motor Trends handling test where the new and improved turbocharged Cobalt SS was doing laps as fast as Mitsu's 40K EVO X MR? The newer Cobalt SS is a much better car inside and a better equipped car for handling and going faster. I'm not a fan of the Caliber SRT-4, but I'm glad that at least GM and Dodge are offering something in a sport compact that give competition to the import rivals. What model would you like to see them make into a performance car? The Taurus? The Fusion? Or should they just go ahead and design a whole new car and pay for R&D? LOL...even though those would be cool, Ford would NEVER get some of the people I know to come from the import crowd. Both of those cars are too big. They need to make a "sport compact" and the Focus is the only compact that has any kind of back bone to make one off of. Its been proven already.

I think some of you may fail to see that most car guys don't buy a performance car for thier plush interiors. They buy them for thier performance and ther functional interiors. I've owned a 03' and a 04' Cobra and I've also owned a 03' Mitsu EVO 8 and a 06' EVO 9. None of these cars have lavish interiors, but they are functional. The EVO's interior looks just like the base Lancer besides the nice Recaro seats, MOMO steering wheel, and some carbon fiber bits. Both the EVO and Cobra are a popular and sought after car by gear heads.

The new EVO X and the new Suby STI are both aimed at a much broader market from when they first came here. When they first came here, they were aimed at only each other. Now they are aimed at Audi, BMW, and others.

The European Focus will be built in the US, that is what I was saying. So I don't see why it would be such a problem with having a RS model here. The 2009 RS is already sold out and its not even out yet. Every one of the 1000 that are gonna be built are already spoken for. I bet Ford would get the same thing here as well. Many people have drooled over these cars since 2002 and I don't see them having any issues selling them at all. Thats just my opinion though.

And exactly how have these compact tuners helped Chevy and Dodge?

I'm not in favor of taking business strategies from those two companies....

I never said that these cars are gonna keep anyone afloat, but those cars are taking a big chunk out of the import market because they are turbocharged and can be easily made fast. The only turbocharged cars offered by imports are the EVO and STI. Both start in the mid to upper 30's and can get into the low 40's optioned out.