7 reasons why Ford has the best chance of surviving the crisis

7 REASONS

Why Ford Has The Best Chance of Surviving The Crisis

With all the talk about the credit crisis and bailouts for the auto makers, there has been this tendency to paint The Big Three with a single brush. In fact, the domestic car companies are not all in the same fiscal boat. Ford Motor Company has indicated that it sees no need for a loan from the Federal government at this time. It has, however, asked for a line of credit. The distinction may have gone largely unnoticed, but it's a reflection of the cautious optimism Ford has for several new products scheduled to come to market. These new products, along with changes already in place are why Ford Motor Company has the best chance among the domestic car companies of surviving this crisis:

1. Alan Mulally

Ford recognized early on that it needed to make a fundamental change in the way it did business, or risk death. That's why in September of 2006, William Clay Ford, Jr. stepped aside and named Alan Mulally the new President and CEO of Ford. Mulally had been credited with the resurgence of Boeing Commercial Airlines in the mid-2000s. At Ford, Mulally's cost-cutting led to the company's first profitable quarter in two years. He is credited with playing major role in stabilizing Ford's financial position to the point where it is outside the threat of bankruptcy.

2. Ford F-150

It took a hit in mid-2008, when $4 per gallon gasoline sank sales from first place to fourth. By the end of the year, however, the F-150 was back on top as the number one selling vehicle in the USA. With an all-new F-150 at the showrooms and gas prices hovering below $2, Ford should do well with this bread-and-butter offering. These times of economic uncertainty have brought out some jingoistic sentiments. Whatever detriments it may carry, it should bode well for traditional American brands, and domestic truck manufacturers stand to benefit the most.

3. Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

The first-generation Fusion/Milan, introduced for the 2006 model year, earned universal accolades. Everyone from Consumer Reports to LA Car's Back Seat Driver liked the car. The Ford of yesteryear would have been content to drag the the same vehicle into the 2010s without any changes. The new Ford, however, chooses not to rest on its laurels. The second-generation Fusion/Milan not only offers a significant boost in power on its premium motor, it also boasts the best gas mileage of any non-hybrid midsize sedan in its base engine - 34 mpg on the highway. That's right up there with the subcompact Honda Fit!

4. Ford's Third-Generation Hybrids

The big news with the new-generation Fusion/Milan is the new hybrid model. Ford's first and second-generation Escape Hybrids have been exemplary in gas mileage, reliability and customer satisfaction. Ford's third-generation full hybrid system surpasses even Toyota's counterpart. This midsized hybrid sedan can travel in pure electric mode up to 47 mph! This translates to an EPA rating of 41 mpg in the city and 36 on the highway - far surpassing the mileage figures for the excellent Toyota Camry Hybrid. The LA Times' Dan Neil did even better, with a real-world city mileage of 61 mpg, taking advantage of the car's full electric mode ability.

5. The New Taurus

After ignoring the sedan market for so long, Ford is following up the new Fusion/Milan with another all-new sedan: The next-generation Taurus. The current Taurus is a very good car, but its sales have been disappointing. The new one is significantly more attractive, and Ford plans on unveiling a halo model: The return of the Taurus SHO, which will feature Ford's new Eco-Boost engine.

6. Eco-Boost

Eco-Boost is the name given to Ford's new turbocharging and direct-fuel-injection technology, allowing smaller engines to perform like bigger ones, but with better fuel economy. One of the first applications will be to a twin-turbo 3.5-liter V6 that will make around 350 horses. Fuel economy is expected to improve by 15-20 percent over Ford's similarly powered V8. Expect to see the Eco-Boost offered in Ford's new F-150 and Taurus.

7. The British Are Coming!

Ford has some very attractive small vehicles in Europe, including the handsome new Fiesta, C-MAX and S-MAX. The carmaker knows this and is working at break-neck speed to tool up the first of possibly several small European vehicles for manufacture in the USA. The subcompact Fiesta is expected to arrive in 2010, boasting great fuel economy and refinement heretofore unheard of in a small American car.

Of course, nothing is for certain. And these are not the only reasons to bet that Ford will survive the current crisis. They are, however, the ones that stand out. My money is on Ford to make it through the night.

http://lacar.com/modules.php?name=News&amp...p;sid=1034#bsd1

7 REASONS

Why Ford Has The Best Chance of Surviving The Crisis

With all the talk about the credit crisis and bailouts for the auto makers, there has been this tendency to paint The Big Three with a single brush. In fact, the domestic car companies are not all in the same fiscal boat. Ford Motor Company has indicated that it sees no need for a loan from the Federal government at this time. It has, however, asked for a line of credit. The distinction may have gone largely unnoticed, but it's a reflection of the cautious optimism Ford has for several new products scheduled to come to market. These new products, along with changes already in place are why Ford Motor Company has the best chance among the domestic car companies of surviving this crisis:

1. Alan Mulally

Ford recognized early on that it needed to make a fundamental change in the way it did business, or risk death. That's why in September of 2006, William Clay Ford, Jr. stepped aside and named Alan Mulally the new President and CEO of Ford. Mulally had been credited with the resurgence of Boeing Commercial Airlines in the mid-2000s. At Ford, Mulally's cost-cutting led to the company's first profitable quarter in two years. He is credited with playing major role in stabilizing Ford's financial position to the point where it is outside the threat of bankruptcy.

2. Ford F-150

It took a hit in mid-2008, when $4 per gallon gasoline sank sales from first place to fourth. By the end of the year, however, the F-150 was back on top as the number one selling vehicle in the USA. With an all-new F-150 at the showrooms and gas prices hovering below $2, Ford should do well with this bread-and-butter offering. These times of economic uncertainty have brought out some jingoistic sentiments. Whatever detriments it may carry, it should bode well for traditional American brands, and domestic truck manufacturers stand to benefit the most.

3. Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

The first-generation Fusion/Milan, introduced for the 2006 model year, earned universal accolades. Everyone from Consumer Reports to LA Car's Back Seat Driver liked the car. The Ford of yesteryear would have been content to drag the the same vehicle into the 2010s without any changes. The new Ford, however, chooses not to rest on its laurels. The second-generation Fusion/Milan not only offers a significant boost in power on its premium motor, it also boasts the best gas mileage of any non-hybrid midsize sedan in its base engine - 34 mpg on the highway. That's right up there with the subcompact Honda Fit!

4. Ford's Third-Generation Hybrids

The big news with the new-generation Fusion/Milan is the new hybrid model. Ford's first and second-generation Escape Hybrids have been exemplary in gas mileage, reliability and customer satisfaction. Ford's third-generation full hybrid system surpasses even Toyota's counterpart. This midsized hybrid sedan can travel in pure electric mode up to 47 mph! This translates to an EPA rating of 41 mpg in the city and 36 on the highway - far surpassing the mileage figures for the excellent Toyota Camry Hybrid. The LA Times' Dan Neil did even better, with a real-world city mileage of 61 mpg, taking advantage of the car's full electric mode ability.

5. The New Taurus

After ignoring the sedan market for so long, Ford is following up the new Fusion/Milan with another all-new sedan: The next-generation Taurus. The current Taurus is a very good car, but its sales have been disappointing. The new one is significantly more attractive, and Ford plans on unveiling a halo model: The return of the Taurus SHO, which will feature Ford's new Eco-Boost engine.

6. Eco-Boost

Eco-Boost is the name given to Ford's new turbocharging and direct-fuel-injection technology, allowing smaller engines to perform like bigger ones, but with better fuel economy. One of the first applications will be to a twin-turbo 3.5-liter V6 that will make around 350 horses. Fuel economy is expected to improve by 15-20 percent over Ford's similarly powered V8. Expect to see the Eco-Boost offered in Ford's new F-150 and Taurus.

7. The British Are Coming!

Ford has some very attractive small vehicles in Europe, including the handsome new Fiesta, C-MAX and S-MAX. The carmaker knows this and is working at break-neck speed to tool up the first of possibly several small European vehicles for manufacture in the USA. The subcompact Fiesta is expected to arrive in 2010, boasting great fuel economy and refinement heretofore unheard of in a small American car.

Of course, nothing is for certain. And these are not the only reasons to bet that Ford will survive the current crisis. They are, however, the ones that stand out. My money is on Ford to make it through the night.

Great summary of the leadership and product transition at Ford. I have no doubt that the recent favorable press about Ford will only grow a lot stronger as Ford's new product starts to hit the Market! Thank you Mr. Mulally!

There are two important, unreleased points that will be included in this list at a later date.

There is no "best chance", Ford WILL survive this crisis like many before it.

Hmmmm.....can't wait to hear what those are. Any idea of about when they'll be released?

Well, I would add the fact that Ford's recent products are either the best or among the best on reliability according to Consumer Reports. I would also add Ford' recent bevy of feature innovations (sync, ecoboost, hybrids, easy fuel, my key, etc )that have no sign of drying up. You could also say that Ford has the best safety record and I'd also say that Ford has and is making huge strides in fuel economy. Also, Ford is keeping it's strength on trucks and CUVs meanwhile launching world class cars. Ford is here to kick butt as far as I can see, and let's us also thank Mark Fields, Bill Ford, Daryl Kusak, Peter Horbury, and others, who made a lot of this happen long before Alan showed up. It has been a team effort.

Well, I would add the fact that Ford's recent products are either the best or among the best on reliability according to Consumer Reports. I would also add Ford' recent bevy of feature innovations (sync, ecoboost, hybrids, easy fuel, my key, etc )that have no sign of drying up. You could also say that Ford has the best safety record and I'd also say that Ford has and is making huge strides in fuel economy. Also, Ford is keeping it's strength on trucks and CUVs meanwhile launching world class cars. Ford is here to kick butt as far as I can see, and let's us also thank Mark Fields, Bill Ford, Daryl Kusak, Peter Horbury, and others, who made a lot of this happen long before Alan showed up. It has been a team effort.
One thing u are forgetting people are just not spending money on big ticket items and won't befor some time, there are just no jobs andno money!!!!

I said I DIDN'T include project M. There are two other projects that haven't been revealed yet. (or even leaked on various ford sites like this)

"What makes it game-changing; it'll recharge in 20 minutes, and go 300 miles with the A/C on, with 4 people riding? "

Demographic's is not my department, but suffice it to say we are now in the game. We will build on it.

Edited by Quiet Insider

I said I DIDN'T include project M. There are two other projects that haven't been revealed yet. (or even leaked on various ford sites like this)

"What makes it game-changing; it'll recharge in 20 minutes, and go 300 miles with the A/C on, with 4 people riding? "

Demographic's is not my department, but suffice it to say we are now in the game. We will build on it.

When I first read your post I thought you were being negative about Ford's survival prospects. Too tired I guess. Now I see what you are saying and I look forward to the new projects. Exciting times ahead.

One thing u are forgetting people are just not spending money on big ticket items and won't befor some time, there are just no jobs andno money!!!!

You sound like the media.... Even if the unemployment rate is 10% -- 90% of people are still working that want to be, It is a recession they happen, they are part of a normal cycle and actually make the economy work. It just sucks when you're getting hit by it.

Note the comment by "Ford's only marginally better off" in the "Comments" section at the bottom of the article. Anyone care to respond to him? Thanks. - BOT

Unfortunately, there's no convincing people like these, the restructuring he thinks Ford should do

has already been done over the past two years. :doh: