How bad will the "down turn" be?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go ahead and laugh. The incident rates of doctor screw ups is much lower there than here.

Thats because, in Thailand, if they screw up................ they just kill you. You're under, so you will never know the difference anyway. Family comes looking for you............ "no, sorry, never heard of that person before." :)

There is no reason not to have both.

Sure there is. We can't build televisions cheap enough ourselves. And nobody else has the ability to build jumbo jets (except other highly skilled industrial economies like France) so they aren't going to be outsourced for some time. It's the same reason a lot of other consumer goods aren't built here. Americans aren't willing to pay more for them just to see a "Made in USA" sticker on them.

Edited by NickF1011

I do not know were Lou Dobbs gets his stats. I just said "according to Lou Dobbs..." You provided a response that was appropriate - however subject to the 'free trade statistical spin' that we hear from that side. I however, did not call anyone an idiot. Perhaps what was implied that “American owned” manufacturing in the US is at 1940 levels, not the aggregate US and foreign owned that your sources quote. Everyone spins their message to get their point across.

Here is some input from the other side - I have never heard anyone call Dr. Paul Craig Roberts an idiot.

http://www.economyincrisis.org/

Edited by Kev-Mo

Sure there is. We can't build televisions cheap enough ourselves. And nobody else has the ability to build jumbo jets (except other highly skilled industrial economies like France) so they aren't going to be outsourced for some time. It's the same reason a lot of other consumer goods aren't built here. Americans aren't willing to pay more for them just to see a "Made in USA" sticker on them.

I strongly disagree - I would pay a few bucks more every time for an American made product. The real problem is we don't even get the chance to decide - the decision has been made for us.

I strongly disagree - I would pay a few bucks more every time for an American made product. The real problem is we don't even get the chance to decide - the decision has been made for us.

You would. Most Americans wouldn't. They already voted with their pocketbooks when televisions were still being made here. They chose not to buy them.

You would. Most Americans wouldn't. They already voted with their pocketbooks when televisions were still being made here. They chose not to buy them.

It's funny how, after a product or technology is pulled after a long-enough period of unsatisfactory sales, you get people coming out of the woodworks talking about how the manufacturers aren't listening to the customers' desires.

It would be tough to argue against your statement "most Americans" wouldn't, since as you say they didn't.

Too bad this is the case; we are only cutting our own lifelines by not allowing other Americans to earn a fair living. This is my strong belief, others may feel differently. I will continue to stick with my conviction to always buy an American made product, by and American owned company whenever possible, even if it costs more. To me, a product made in the USA by a foreign owned company is the same as an import.

To the 'free trade' crowd; please don't get all fired up and/or resort to name calling. I don't agree with you, you don't agree with me, we are not going to convince anyone to cross over this day on this thread.

It's funny how, after a product or technology is pulled after a long-enough period of unsatisfactory sales, you get people coming out of the woodworks talking about how the manufacturers aren't listening to the customers' desires.

In fact, the manufacturer's only job is to listen to customers' desires. Deliver the product customers want while making a profit. Hard to make a profit if it costs more to manufacture a product than you can sell it for.

Too bad this is the case; we are only cutting our own lifelines by not allowing other Americans to earn a fair living.

People don't need to be working in a factory to make a "Fair Living", thought that the American dream was to send your kids to school and have a better paying job then you did...not have them stuck doing the same crappy job your doing.

People don't need to be working in a factory to make a "Fair Living", thought that the American dream was to send your kids to school and have a better paying job then you did...not have them stuck doing the same crappy job your doing.

You mean "that you're doing"

That's funny, I don't recall ever saying I have a crappy job. I actually have a very good job, in a great organization, working for a prominent, large American company that is known around the world. I work with software solutions for manufacturing operations, and have had the opportunity to visit production sites all over the US and abroad.

I bought only RCA TVs until they were no longer available. I will only buy New Balance sneakers. I will not fly on Jet Blue airlines. Every little bit helps.

In fact, the manufacturer's only job is to listen to customers' desires. Deliver the product customers want while making a profit. Hard to make a profit if it costs more to manufacture a product than you can sell it for.

The consumers have no voting rites. It's all done in the board room.

You mean "that you're doing"

That's funny, I don't recall ever saying I have a crappy job. I actually have a very good job, in a great organization, working for a prominent, large American company that is known around the world. I work with software solutions for manufacturing operations, and have had the opportunity to visit production sites all over the US and abroad.

I wasn't calling you out directly, in GENERAL....Not everyone wants to work in a factory

I bought only RCA TVs until they were no longer available. I will only buy New Balance sneakers. I will not fly on Jet Blue airlines. Every little bit helps.

You do realize airbus uses a non trivial of US sourced parts to build their airplanes. You do also realize that boeing uses foreign sourced parts.

New Balance also has foreign made shoes. You will need to check the label to make sure you are getting US made pair.

All the negativity in this thread is encouraging to me, so long as my competitors' attitudes are the same.

Right now, most companies and individuals are looking for VALUE; whether it be from a Sony TV or a Ford Fusion. They are going where their money is going to do the most good for themselves.

I'm hoping my competitors are as paralyzed as many others are, because I'm about to put a knife to their jugular. I just got back from an out-of-town trip and my client is looking to go "sole source" with my company. Know why? VALUE! They can get the same quality of work from me, at a lower price.

The answer to this momentary blip is to work better and smarter, not necessarily harder. This is opportunity waiting for anyone to grasp it.

Show me a guy working hard to spin his wheels, and I'll show you someone who's going nowhere fast.

Edited by RangerM