Return of the Firebird?

Reigner92

Things sure have changed since 2007.

They need to spread out the cost of a LHD Zeta somehow...

It is becoming clear that there are no plans for a RWD Buick, and right now only the only cars taking advantage of this architecture are the G8 and Camaro.

I hope this is real. I have always had a thing for the Firebird.

I just hope this doesn't become Pontiac's Swan Song...

If GM could cancel the Camaro they would.

Zeta was commenced in 2002 and the Commodore delivered nearly three years ago.

At the insistence of Lutz and others, it was deliberately made bigger and heavier for the US market.

Holden is now stuck with a RWd sedan that is close to 300 lb heavier than the old V Car Commodore.

All canned last year I'm afraid, it was the last hope for Aussie Holden fans getting a Monaro "end run".

If GM wanted to save pontiac and make it different to the other crap they sell, it would be as simple as

making Pontiac a US retail outlet for Holden Products but alas, that bird has flown to retirement...........

Edited by jpd80

WTF?

bringing this back pretty much guarantees Pontiac will stay around. Which means GM is Full of crap on their restructuring.

Wagoner needs to be shown the door NOW

Look at the dates on those articles:

July 4, 2007

March 14, 2007

Wednesday 14 May 2008

I wouldn't consider this valid information at this point.

oops.

my bad

I should have known it was too good to be true...

I have a feeling Pontiac will stay around as gussied-up Chevrolets, simply because Pontiac is big in Canada. And because we all know that Buick and GMC are sticking around, thus their dealer network would need something more affordable to keep up the volume.

Still, I was hoping this storied brand could have been kept around as something special. Alas, I am to be, once again, disappointed.

So, back to the topic of spreading out the cost of the Zeta architecture-- what's the word on a RWD Impala or a hypothetical Buick Roadmaster?

Not gonna happen.

Yet more evidence that now is a bad time to be an auto enthusiast...

The death of the V8 is less than a decade away-- Ford's Coyote V8 and Hyundai's Tau V8 are the last ones developed for the mainstream passenger car market (I didn't mention the Boss because it is pretty much a truck engine). GM has already canceled development of the Northstar, and their small block has been re-engineered about as much as any engine could be. We already know that Chrysler's HEMI doesn't have a future either.

The death of RWD in the mainstream market is also imminent-- Ford's product development chief has already gone on the record saying he was "unsure" if the Mustang will continue on a RWD platform beyond the 2010 revision of S197. Zeta is being slowly killed, and neither GM nor Ford are developing a RWD platform, even for Australia. While GRWD has been officially "postponed", we can all pretty much count on it never seeing the light of day.

I am not saying that a turbo'd V6 or I4 through FWD or AWD can't be fun. Quite the contrary, especially after my experience in an Eagle Talon TSi. But, having also driven an '04 Mach 1 and a '79 Firebird Trans Am, and the awesome, smokey burnouts they were capable of, I believe I can say with some authority that it is not the same...

The death of RWD in the mainstream market is also imminent-- Ford's product development chief has already gone on the record saying he was "unsure" if the Mustang will continue on a RWD platform beyond the 2010 revision of S197.

The next RWD Falcon is in the same boat, I think it and the Mustang will be combined but it's not

known yet whether both will go FWD/AWD or another lighter more efficient RWD will be developed.

A lot of work was done on the GRWD platform and it was only "paused" at financial approval stage.

Decision time for both camps is later this year - both are still talking to each other.

I just think it would have had a much better interior and cleaner external lines than the Camaro.

Maybe they could have just called it the G8 Coupe and had a winner, easier sell than the Sport truck..

I agree.

A lot of GTO owners might have upgraded to that. Or even F-body fans. I still can't get used to the new Camaro. It looks to outrageous.

IMO the Coupe 60 is one of the best looking 2+2 coupes I have ever seen. I might have a little bias lol.

Edited by Ford-150

I just think it would have had a much better interior and cleaner external lines than the Camaro.

Maybe they could have just called it the G8 Coupe and had a winner, easier sell than the Sport truck..

I agree with you (especially on the interior front!). I don't know how big of a 'winner' it'd be though. Although I think it looks great, I think it would age quickly (much like Camaro is doing, actually, but not quite that bad). G8 sales are another reason I'm skeptical of how it'd do, although maybe a G8 Coupe could have a positive effect (a halo effect if you will) on G8 sales.....wow that G8 coupe looks great, but I need something more practical....look there's a G8 sedan!....etc.....

At this point, GM has much better things to be spending their money on, though.

Edited by rmc523

At this point, GM has much better things to be spending their money on, though.

:hysterical:

I just looked at some of GM's other vehicles and I don't think so............

FWD V8 SS Impala for $33K - what a joke!!!

To my thinking GM did not fail because they had a daring RWD vehicle plan,

they failed because they chickened out without developing a back up plan

to bring suitable FWD vehicle to market in place of the planned Zetas.

Edited by jpd80

:hysterical:

I just looked at some of GM's other vehicles and I don't think so............

FWD V8 SS Impala for $33K - what a joke!!!

To my thinking GM did not fail because they had a daring RWD vehicle plan,

they failed because they chickened out without developing a back up plan

to bring suitable FWD vehicle to market in place of the planned Zetas.

True enough-- if you're going to let yourself get spooked, at least have a suitable replacement. No, the old "G" body, introduced in the Oldsmobile Avalon back in 1998(?), is NOT a suitable replacement!

True enough-- if you're going to let yourself get spooked, at least have a suitable replacement. No, the old "G" body, introduced in the Oldsmobile Avalon back in 1998(?), is NOT a suitable replacement!

It was sickening watching this end Holden go through the whole yes/no/yes contortions and then

the GM brass sticking their noses in wanting a bigger (heavier) car than Holden originally planned.

Holden originally wanted the Commodore more like the concept Torana size and a full sized car above that.

What they got was a large and very large vehicle, GMNA then backing out at every opportunity.

TorqueOmata4137.jpg

Edited by jpd80