Guess what I did last night....

Went out to start the car and it wouldn't start. Turned over just fine but wouldn't fire.

Went down the mental checklist:

1) turns over? = battery, starter & solenoid okay

2) no cylinders firing, feathering the throttle makes no difference in effort to start = fuel delivery, not fuel injectors.

3) YES it's got gas in it.....

Then I got to thinking: 125k miles, original fuel filter........

FUN.

But definitely better than the fuel pump!

Unlike the '92 Tempo, where the fuel filter is mounted in the nice warm (relatively clean) engine compartment, the fuel filter is bolted to the chassis just outside the gas tank and just ahead of the RR wheel.

If this were summer, hey, no problem but it's cold and slushy......

Brother-in-law drives over, onto the lawn of the apt. building (in fact) so I can get a jump in order to crank the engine long enough for it to finally start....

Get over to a friend's place and exactly two G-D's later, I've got the old fuel filter off. It's amazing how rusty those things get when you go about 9 years between changes...... It's also amazing how cold your hands can get when they're covered with gasoline and handling sub-freezing metal.

It's also amazing how much gasoline you'll get on your hands while trying to change a fuel filter when the whole thing can barely be seen and you have to work as much off feel as sight.

Then we get the new one on, and---guess what? the thing runs much smoother. Maybe I'll replace them on a more regular basis going forward.........

Edited by RichardJensen

It's not funny (but it sort of is). You should have known better....

I wonder when Ford recommends replacement of the filter anyhow.

Every bit of online advice I saw said "you will get gas on your hands."

As to frequency...... let's just say the car should've been on its 5th fuel filter by now..........

Edited by RichardJensen

Every bit of online advice I saw said "you will get gas on your hands."

As to frequency...... let's just say the car should've been on its 5th fuel filter by now..........

I was nosing around on the Motorcraft website and for a V-6 Fusion the first recommended filter change I saw was at 60K. I truly don't think you need to replace a fuel filter that often.

how is this part of the ford company discussion? :P

seriously though, you're lucky, when it comes time (if ever) to replace my fuel filter im gonna have to pay to have it done since its in the actual fuel pump. boo modern compact engine designs

Ahhh maybe that's why it doesn't need to be replaced as often as Richard's Sable.

BTW Richard what do you have in there the Vulcan or Duratec?

Ahhh maybe that's why it doesn't need to be replaced as often as Richard's Sable.

BTW Richard what do you have in there the Vulcan or Duratec?

The Vulcan. I had to replace the Contour on relatively short notice and no Duratecs hit the SF Auto Auction for 2 months--no local trades either...

So I settled for the Vulcan.

Unlike the '92 Tempo, where the fuel filter is mounted in the nice warm (relatively clean) engine compartment, the fuel filter is bolted to the chassis just outside the gas tank and just ahead of the RR wheel.

My fuel filter is under the back seat. In other words, there's basically an 8" hole from the gas tank into the passenger compartment of my car.

Go Hyundai!

I was nosing around on the Motorcraft website and for a V-6 Fusion the first recommended filter change I saw was at 60K. I truly don't think you need to replace a fuel filter that often.

Some things don't change. I changed mine on my Thunderbird a few years back and I think the interval was at least 60,000 miles too, though 120,000 rings a bell. At the time I had maybe 125,000 miles or so on the car so it probably needed it in either case (I have close to 154,000 now). It was pretty easy, mounted about under the passenger side door. It had this metal shield to help protect it and hold it in place. Took me about 15 minutes to replace.

Did you remember to depressurize the fuel system by pulling the pump fuse and running the engine until it dies, then cranking it for about 30 seconds more? Doing this really cuts down on fuel leakage/spraying. Vulcan engine, eh? What it doesn't have in power it more than makes up for with longevity. Those old cast-iron lumps run forever.

I wonder when Ford recommends replacement of the filter anyhow.

The owners manual will say and if RJ doesn't have one it can be downloaded here

http://www.ford.com/search/search-results?...&submit.y=5

By the way RJ working on a vehicle out in the cold is one of the reasons I moved where it's warm :shades: I'm on hwy. 5 just south of Bakersfield Ca. another few hours north and I'm good, no more Minesota winters for me. :happy feet:

Edited by Ron W.

The 2009/2010 MY owners guides on the Motorcraft website indicate that most new Ford vehicles use a maintenance free, lifetime fuel filter. The exceptions are Escape/Mariner/Tribute, F-Series (non SD), Expedition/Navigator SWB, and E-Series. So for most owners of newer Fords, the scenario that RichardJensen experienced should be a thing of the past. :)

Also noteworthy is that the Focus PZEV (2003-current) has an engine air filter that doesn't need replacement until 150,000 mi.

Hah, I always wondered if changing the filter (I always did mine at the interval) really made any difference. Getting that stupid $2 tool really does make the job a lot easier.

Could have been worse Rich: you could have been looking at a heater core in 8-degree weather. Had to do that on my '88 T-bird once - with no garage. 6 hours (infamous dashboard removal procedure) in the parking lot later I was amazed I my fingers were still pliable at all (I kept worrying about feeling after the first hour).

My fuel filter is under the back seat. In other words, there's basically an 8" hole from the gas tank into the passenger compartment of my car.

Go Hyundai!

S197 Mustangs have access to the fuel pump via under the rear seat also. It's not just a Hyundai thing.

S197 Mustangs have access to the fuel pump via under the rear seat also. It's not just a Hyundai thing.

I'm thinking the Flex does as well. When we took it in to have a faulty sending unit replaced (the fuel gauge didn't work properly when we picked it up new), the kids' car seats were moved from the seats and things inside were moved around, so I'm guessing they accessed it from inside.

I'm thinking the Flex does as well. When we took it in to have a faulty sending unit replaced (the fuel gauge didn't work properly when we picked it up new), the kids' car seats were moved from the seats and things inside were moved around, so I'm guessing they accessed it from inside.

It's not like there isn't a cover on the access panel anyway. It sure beats having to drop the fuel tank to do the same job.

Went out to start the car and it wouldn't start. Turned over just fine but wouldn't fire.

Went down the mental checklist:

1) turns over? = battery, starter & solenoid okay

2) no cylinders firing, feathering the throttle makes no difference in effort to start = fuel delivery, not fuel injectors.

3) YES it's got gas in it.....

Then I got to thinking: 125k miles, original fuel filter........

FUN.

But definitely better than the fuel pump!

If this were summer, hey, no problem but it's cold and slushy......

Brother-in-law drives over, onto the lawn of the apt. building (in fact) so I can get a jump in order to crank the engine long enough for it to finally start....

Get over to a friend's place and exactly two G-D's later, I've got the old fuel filter off. It's amazing how rusty those things get when you go about 9 years between changes...... It's also amazing how cold your hands can get when they're covered with gasoline and handling sub-freezing metal.

It's also amazing how much gasoline you'll get on your hands while trying to change a fuel filter when the whole thing can barely be seen and you have to work as much off feel as sight.

Then we get the new one on, and---guess what? the thing runs much smoother. Maybe I'll replace them on a more regular basis going forward.........

Sounds like my explorer, Im still not sure whats wrong with it. Every three times I go to start it fires up and runs normal. Most of the time it just cranks over and never fires. Or if you drive it down the road it will just randomly lose power. I really need to figure it out :(

I can't say that many of us change them acording to schedule. Lawd knows I have not. I've only been caught once by a clogged fuel filter. Cross country drive in a 93 Continental back in the mid nineties...somewhere in Nevada.

No lie, on that same trip the horn started sounding and would not stop for a good half hour. After smashing the steering wheel repeatedly, I never had that issue again. Ahhh.....the old Connie.

There is another reason that may force a fuel filter change. My 97 F-150 (bought new) has only 30K on the ticker; but recently we began to smell gas fumes every once in a while. The engine ran fine, but obviously gas was leaking somewhere. We eventually discovered that the original fuel filter had deteriorated from age and exposure to the elements; and was weeping raw gas. It was located in the open, midway along the framerail; but somewhat close to a cross member which added some extra fun to the replacement task. Milage may not be the only factor to consider.

It's not like there isn't a cover on the access panel anyway. It sure beats having to drop the fuel tank to do the same job.

I agree completely...much better than dropping the tank. Much less costly (and doable by the average Joe) if you have to do it after the warranty is up too.

Did you remember to depressurize the fuel system by pulling the pump fuse and running the engine until it dies, then cranking it for about 30 seconds more? Doing this really cuts down on fuel leakage/spraying. Vulcan engine, eh? What it doesn't have in power it more than makes up for with longevity. Those old cast-iron lumps run forever.

No I did not. I've ran the thing out of gas from time to time (why do I have 15,000 posts on this board? Because I seem to be an incurable procrastinator) and I didn't want to deliberately expose the injectors to that same experience.

Although that would've definitely cut down on leaking from the engine side of the filter, I don't think it would've done much for the tank side.

===

Intrepidatious: love the story. It never occurred to you to pop the hood and yank one of the leads off the horn? And where were you in Nevada when the fuel filter clogged.......?

===

Borg: I love the freedom of minimal to non-existent car payments.....

There is another reason that may force a fuel filter change. My 97 F-150 (bought new) has only 30K on the ticker; but recently we began to smell gas fumes every once in a while. The engine ran fine, but obviously gas was leaking somewhere. We eventually discovered that the original fuel filter had deteriorated from age and exposure to the elements; and was weeping raw gas. It was located in the open, midway along the framerail; but somewhat close to a cross member which added some extra fun to the replacement task. Milage may not be the only factor to consider.

Well I think that goes without saying, but with the mileage that slacker has on his Sable it should have been replaced a long time ago.