Fiat Threatens to Walk Away from Chrysler

TopCat501

Mulally announced that Ford's "all-in" numbers are down to around $50 an hour now, so get your calculator out and edit your post.

you listed the same article twice. that must make it twice as true..right?

"Sources say those concessions will cut Ford’s labor costs to less than $50 an hour"

Who's "sources"? Mullaly didn't say it. And when is "will"? Maybe he's talking about new hires? of which there are virtually none because Ford is still unable to fire the deadweight.

Your post is incorrect.

Regardless, I know the numbers and 50 per hr is incorrect. Perhaps for political reasons he can't be 100% truthful. He probably got a kickback from the UAW to support the contract for pattern bargaining.

Thanks in advance for retracting your incorrect statements.

Edited by kpc655

Thanks for the link.

I like this quote the best:

Intriguingly, it was remarked that "Ford's deal with the UAW appeared to meet the cost savings targets set out by the Treasury Department for its aid to GM and Chrysler," yet Ford is the one that didn't take government money and so, technically, is the one automaker not compelled to meet those targets.

I think if you surveyed most TRUE "middle class" workers across the country and showed them UAW benefits, they would be shocked. I'm betting a lot of over educated people would quit their jobs to get one with the UAW emptying trash cans just for the pay and benefits.

I know I'd quit my job for one of these.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/15908257/index.html

"...Over educated..." :shades:

Is that possible? :hysterical:

Why the blanky-blank blank-blank on trying to figure out a scheme for "appropriate pay?" The US is, theoretically, a free-market. And as such, the labor market already has a mechanism for that. It's called the "pricing" system, for which in the labor market is called the "wage rate."

For you folks you apparently skipped day 2 of high school micro economics it works like this:

If the employer can't fill all of its open reqs it's not paying enough and needs to raise the offers. Conversely if it is getting too many qualified applicants for each open position it's over paying for the positions and needs to lower the pay.

From the employee's perspective they need to consider the value of their time and desirability of different employment oppertunities. Which ever offers the highest return of utils (this is a fuzzy concept, but think about what makes you the most content or happy overall) on time investment is the one to take.

We call this "supply and demand" (in the order I described them it's actually demand and supply) for labor.

Of course unions screw this up as a form of cartel (like OPEC or DeBeers) as a monopoly for the firm's labor input and try to selfishly minipulate the market to get more then the market otherwise entitles them and this entails lots of inefficiencies. But we'll leave that lesson for day 4 of high school micro.

Point being we already have a system for determining efficient compensation levels for labor. It's the market clearing level for the labor market. You need not spin your wheels trying to devise some elaborate system for that. (That's what the Polit-Bureau does in a communist system, after all.) We here know that the market figures that out all by itself.

good points.. pay and benefits for all should be based on skill and responsibilities.

I think if you surveyed most TRUE "middle class" workers across the country and showed them UAW benefits, they would be shocked. I'm betting a lot of over educated people would quit their jobs to get one with the UAW emptying trash cans just for the pay and benefits.

I know I'd quit my job for one of these.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/15908257/index.html

in all fairness, government employees get more for doing less and they do not even contribute to GDP

Edited by J-150