new mercury capri concept coming

Am I the only one who thinks Capri is an uber-feminine sounding name in the first place? The first thing that pops into my head is the fugly FWD-roadster and women's half-pants. To that end, Capri on a Focus variant is just fine as far as I'm concerned.

However, I'm sure this (if true) will piss off Ford Jellymoulds. :lol:

Does anyone know when the named the Capri was it taking from the City? As this is how i would like to take it and it fits with the Milan. Mercury could be starting just to name cars after citys, like they did with naming them after cats. althing we still need a cougar.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know when the named the Capri was it taking from the City? As this is how i would like to take it and it fits with the Milan. Mercury could be starting just to name cars after citys, like they did with naming them after cats. althing we still need a cougar.

Of course I know it was taken from the city. That doesn't mean I'll associate it any less with women's pants. :P Now Istanbul. That's a manly city name.

Of course I know it was taken from the city. That doesn't mean I'll associate it any less with women's pants. :P Now Istanbul. That's a manly city name.

if thats the case that no one now will be able to disassociate the name cougar which now people think of when they see an older women with a younger man.

1952 Lincoln Capri

1952-lincoln-001-2.jpg

1963 Ford Counsul Capri

1963FordConsulCapri.jpg

Does anyone notice there's a certain "lull" in this forum lately? I mean, there's really nothing exciting related to Ford that has been reported on recently...here I am just going post after post, and its just sssoooo slow, and boring with whats being reported on....

Its as if we are missing a little "touch" of something...like a new car introduction, or maybe a Taurus review, just something to spark some new interest... I just feel so blah this week with paltry little stories...I think this one is the only interesting one...

Does anyone notice there's a certain "lull" in this forum lately? I mean, there's really nothing exciting related to Ford that has been reported on recently...here I am just going post after post, and its just sssoooo slow, and boring with whats being reported on....

Its as if we are missing a little "touch" of something...like a new car introduction, or maybe a Taurus review, just something to spark some new interest... I just feel so blah this week with paltry little stories...I think this one is the only interesting one...

I completely agree!

It can't always be the 4th of July!

Oh and to add...considering Mercury will be euro Fords for the most part...do we know if Mercury is heading in a specific styling direction to differentiate itself from Ford variants? As in, will something "different" be done to the grills, to set it apart?

Oh and to add...considering Mercury will be euro Fords for the most part...do we know if Mercury is heading in a specific styling direction to differentiate itself from Ford variants? As in, will something "different" be done to the grills, to set it apart?

IIRC, mercury will move more upmarket and produce near luxury small cars and cuvs. Alla volvo. while ford will remain more mainstream.

Not a Couger but............it does have an older woman

:hysterical: I've seen that before...

It can't always be the 4th of July!

Why not?!?

Really good idea for a Mercury.... EXACTLY what I think the brand needs!

A scootch above Ford stylewise, a notch below Lincoln... darn good idea!

mercurycapri-1.jpg

Thanks, plus it fits into Mercury's (at least currently) more female-oriented branding.

Really good idea for a Mercury.... EXACTLY what I think the brand needs!

A scootch above Ford stylewise, a notch below Lincoln... darn good idea!

mercurycapri-1.jpg

Thanks, plus it fits into Mercury's (at least currently) more female-oriented branding.

I thought that too (but wasn't man enough to say it! :baby: )

Eventually we'll get a third car for my spouse & darnit if I don't think that Euro-Focus Coupe Cabriolet "Capri" will be spot on!

Edited by joihan777

Well, unfortunately, it's just that time of year for Ford. All of their new model intros are done. With the early launches of most of their new '10 models, the reviews are posted and in the past also. It's going to be a long wait for those '11 models to get here.

I think so many people who go on these car sites have serious delusions that RWD sports cars/coupes and sedans are going to return to their heyday of decades ago. They will not. If there was a market for a model above the Mustang then sure, call it Cougar, I would love that. But it is not going to happen, the market does not exist, at least it is not big enough. If anything, Lincoln needs a MK9/MK IX far more than Mercury needs a high-performance Cougar. Lincoln can charge more and can more successfully differentiate a MK9 (hardtop convertible) from a Mustang and with absolutely no overlap. This is the same argument as to why a new Thunderbird is unlikely. A Thunderbird could dilute the Mustang's market and come too close to a MK9, it just makes more sense to have two RWD coupes/convertibles in the F/M/L lineup, the Mustang and a MK9.

However, Ford does not really have a small, fuel efficient, but sporty and modern coupe/convertible. This is where Mercury could be, and sharing with Euro Ford makes too much sense, since they need a sporty car and the Mustang makes no sense for the Euro Market. And if Mercury gets a 2dr or convertible, it will be THE ONLY coupe/convertible in the Mercury brand. And since Cougar is the brand's most famous nameplate and the most famous sporty car, ANY new sporty car from Mercury MUST BE a COUGAR. Remember the 500/Fusion problem. Ford should have called the Fusion or 500 "Taurus" from the start. Mercury should have called the Montego or Milan "Sable" from the start as well. Ford should have learned its lesson on not throwing out its most memorable nameplates.

I think so many people who go on these car sites have serious delusions that RWD sports cars/coupes and sedans are going to return to their heyday of decades ago. They will not. If there was a market for a model above the Mustang then sure, call it Cougar, I would love that. But it is not going to happen, the market does not exist, at least it is not big enough. If anything, Lincoln needs a MK9/MK IX far more than Mercury needs a high-performance Cougar. Lincoln can charge more and can more successfully differentiate a MK9 (hardtop convertible) from a Mustang and with absolutely no overlap. This is the same argument as to why a new Thunderbird is unlikely. A Thunderbird could dilute the Mustang's market and come too close to a MK9, it just makes more sense to have two RWD coupes/convertibles in the F/M/L lineup, the Mustang and a MK9.

However, Ford does not really have a small, fuel efficient, but sporty and modern coupe/convertible. This is where Mercury could be, and sharing with Euro Ford makes too much sense, since they need a sporty car and the Mustang makes no sense for the Euro Market. And if Mercury gets a 2dr or convertible, it will be THE ONLY coupe/convertible in the Mercury brand. And since Cougar is the brand's most famous nameplate and the most famous sporty car, ANY new sporty car from Mercury MUST BE a COUGAR. Remember the 500/Fusion problem. Ford should have called the Fusion or 500 "Taurus" from the start. Mercury should have called the Montego or Milan "Sable" from the start as well. Ford should have learned its lesson on not throwing out its most memorable nameplates.

Well, Capri isn't exactly an unknown name either. If the personality says "sporty", I say go with Cougar. If the personality says "cute", go with Capri.

Well, Capri isn't exactly an unknown name either. If the personality says "sporty", I say go with Cougar. If the personality says "cute", go with Capri.

I say leave the Cougar name out of the running... Let it die graciously and save it from the bastardizations of the past, or do it justice.

If the Cougar name is to be resurrected, it should be a personal luxury, muscular contemporary-retro GT... preferably long hood, short deck, front engine, independant rear-drive, V6, V8, Ecoboost powered. If you're going to relate "cute" to Capri... fine. If it's just sporty, name it something else.

A Lincoln on the Mustang chassis would be cool. I realize that the market isn't there... The fact of the matter is that it may never be there. I just don't want to see the bastardization of iconic Ford names as has been done in the past. The Cougar and Thunderbird should be done correctly... with historical reverence.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. There's been nothing greatly exciting, jaw-dropping, or "gripping" happening. That one bombshell event...

On the other hand, I will say that some of the things being discussed like GM/Chrysler, Ford's hybrid tech/future tech, and the like have provided some pretty insightful posts filled with some intelligent debate. You wouldn't see so much thought put towards these subjects with a bunch of major vehicle intros, they'd be brushed-upon and left.

All that being said, maybe it's time to cook-up another thread like my "What Automotive Features Do You Hate?", that one provided some really good material. Hopefully, somebody at Ford read that list...

No one, no one that buys a Lincoln wants a ride like that. It's a luxurious ride, not to recapture the pot-holes of your youth.

So... you don't think that the current Mustang platform couldn't be tuned for luxury? Or, for a luxury sport coupe for that matter? What was the Mk VII LSC? It was Fox based, had the 5.0l H.O. from the Mustang... I believe it sold quite well.

The current Mustang platfrom is a far more advanced chassis that the Fox based chassis of yore... With an independant rear and some chassis tuning, I don't think there would an issue making a luxury sport coupe out of the current platform. In fact, just the difference between the '09 & the '10 is impressive. There's no doubt in my mind that it could be done... and then some!

I dont mean to just rebody a Mustang and turn it into a Lincoln MK9. The next-gen Mustang platform (and possibly the next gen Falcon) could be given a "luxury" suite of upgrades ( IRS, etc) to make into a proper Luxury RWD platform that could underpin a MK9 and a MKR.

In my mind, the MK9 should be a smaller version of the MK9 concept from a few years back with a "New-Lincoln" front end. Make it a hardtop convertible with EcoBoost V6 engines.

The MKR should be Lincoln's CTS/3/C/G37/IS competitor, a smallish midsize sporty RWD sedan. This would make the MKS move up in price a bit and should gain AWD as standard equipment. The MKZ could then be allowed to really concentrate just on the ES/TL/TSX/A4,etc competitor.

In any case, the MK9 and MKR could basically be a hardtop convertible and sedan versions of the same program, with shared engines, platform, and possibly even interiors (at least the dashboard).