Pontiac Vibe to be replaced with another shared Toyota model

TomServo92

If the HHR is going to be killed off in 2011 and replaced by the Orlando Concept, good grief give them the Vibe! That Orlando looks like a steam iron on wheels. This is the future of GM. Yeah, right. :titanic: :blink: :wacko: :do what: :glare: :sos::violin::kuko: :rip: :confused::extinguish:

Saturn would have been the ideal place for a Toyota-based compact car. A Saturn Corolla would have done far more for the brand as an Ion replacement than the Astra (or, further back, more as an S-Series replacement than the Ion).

Now, it's not so clear. Will they be limited by what's currently built at the NUMMI? If so, and if Toyota agrees, a Tacoma-based pickup would likely be more useful than another economy car, unless they try to slot a sedan between the more upscale Cruze and the subcompact Aveo.

The Vibe needs to go to Chevrolet, as does the Solstice

The Saturn Sky is funky enough to get a Cadillac treatment

G6 and G8 to Buick

Torrent to GMC

G3 and G5.....drag those things around the back of GM headquarters and shoot them.

Edited by twintornados

Torrent is already dead, GMC Terrain is new.

Vibe will be renamed and given to Chevy or Buick?

The rest go out after this fall, no 2010 Gx's.

Cant 'shoot' G5/3, they are already Chevys. But the Cruze replaces the Deltas in the spring, so the G5 was dying anyway.

I love the '03 Vibe in our driveway. 125k with the only problems being the toyota drivetrain mysteriously eating auto tranny fluid. I have to add a quart every year or so. Started around 65k and all the dealer could say was "dunno?".

Ford need another vehicle like this. I'm hoping the next Focus has a nice roomy good-looking 5-door version.

The Vibe/Matrix has always been a good unit. Chevy, as usual, seems to be out of touch. Bring back the 60's: Chevelle, Chevy II and Caprice.

Chevy II or Nova? Nice small good looking car. Any update of that, that can retain the same style would be well received. Actually it makes me think of a Checker cab.

I'd be intrigued to see a New Chevy III

The Vibe needs to go to Chevrolet, as does the Solstice

The Saturn Sky is funky enough to get a Cadillac treatment

G6 and G8 to Buick

Torrent to GMC

kill the Torrent. Chev already has a small CUV. NO MORE BADGE ENGINEERING!!!!!

The Sky should have been a Saab with an additional $10k on the sticker. Saab should have never had a rebadged Trailblazer.

Any GM exec suggesting any similar in future should be fired and then shot on the spot.

The Vibe is one of the few GM cars that sells for close to sticker. Who gives a crap with Brand takes it. Just keep selling it.

The Sky should have been a Saab with an additional $10k on the sticker. Saab should have never had a rebadged Trailblazer.

Any GM exec suggesting any similar in future should be fired and then shot on the spot.

The Vibe is one of the few GM cars that sells for close to sticker. Who gives a crap with Brand takes it. Just keep selling it.

So basically their lies the problem with GM. Too many brands and each time they make a platform, they make trim for 5-6 different models and flood the market thinking if they don't buy the Chevy one, maybe they'll buy the Saab one.

GM Insider is claiming that GM is trying to get out of NUMMI:

Reports are out this afternoon that GM is going to try to build another product at the Toyota joint-venture plant, but GMI sources say otherwise. According to our sources, GM's first priority in talks with Toyota is going to be to get out of the JV entirely, but if they are unable to get out of the JV with Toyota they will elect to build a non-Pontiac product there. Currently the NUMMI plant builds the Pontiac Vibe, which is based on the Toyota Corolla platform. GMI was also told that if GM ends up in bankruptcy, the NUMMI JV will be part of "BadGM" in the split of the company.

link to article

GM Insider is claiming that GM is trying to get out of NUMMI:

link to article

DUH! Didn't see that coming. Like they really make something in California anyways. It's a foregone conclusion. And TM will shutter that plant when it becomes part of BADGM

What you will see is as soon as the domestics are kaput, you will see the transplants also close and go home.

Then do you think the domestics will start up again? I don't think so.

Torrent is dying....actually it may've already been killed. It's being replaced by the GMC Terrain.

Caprice started in 1965 as a trim package for Impala. It wasn't a stand alone model as it was in 90's. Nova is a better name than Chevy II, it makes no sense to younger buyers.

Hmm, maybe the NUMMI made Nova will make a comeback?

Edited by 630land

If I recall, NOVA was the first name used for the GM version of the NUMMImobile around 1986 or so.

Maybe, if I remember it, it wasn't a winner back then, but I said what I did, because that name belongs to GM from the early 60's. The Nova was a car you had to get your hands on, quite like a '55 Chevy. Same for the 500, but a lot of people didn't recognize the historical significance to that name when resurrected.

Some names just need to stay in the history books...what was a good name many years ago may not have the same intended impact in todays market. Names like Mustang, Camaro, Corolla, LeSabre that have been around for eons that instantly are recognizable as good solid cars. Then you have names like Corvair, Edsel, Pinto, Vega, Astek, Yugo that instantly are recognized as failures, not due to their recent demise, but due to the size of the failure in their respective time periods...names like that should be banished forever.....but hey, in China....no one ever heard of some of those names, so a Buick Corvair may be a huge hit in the land of the Great Wall.....