2010 Fusion Non-Hybrid Topics

transitman

Now that cars are arriving I thought I'd start a thread of general discussions for all non hybrid models. Post your likes and dis-likes, performance, MPG, and other topics.

I love this car! It rides so nice, the sound system is great, Sync is easy and convenient and there's plenty of room for friends and my golf clubs. I find the 2.5L has plenty of power for my needs. Currently I'm averaging 27.2 mpg with 385 miles on the clock. That includes about a 200 highway mile break in road trip. My ONLY complaint is I wish the keyless entry pad was on the B-pillar. What would be really nice is a "hidden" pad like on the Flex. I hope all will join in the discussion and share their Fusion experience.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that cars are arriving I thought I'd start a thread of general discussions for all non hybrid models. Post your likes and dis-likes, performance, MPG, and other topics.

I love this car! It rides so nice, the sound system is great, Sync is easy and convenient and there's plenty of room for friends and my golf clubs. I find the 2.5L has plenty of power for my needs. Currently I'm averaging 27.2 mpg with 385 miles on the clock. That includes about a 200 highway mile break in road trip. My ONLY complaint is I wish the keyless entry pad was on the B-pillar. What would be really nice is a "hidden" pad like on the Flex. I hope all will join in the discussion and share their Fusion experience.

What I would like to add is where is the Fusion S? I have seen only two Fusion S's on dealer lots, and both were government fleet vehicles. Not ONE for sale to retail customers. The Fusion S is just not on dealer lots period. Bill Brown other day had Fusion Hybrid sittiing on lot for sale, but no S's. Anyone know where the S's are or are so few being built and ones that are built for fleet only?

I have been very impressed with my car so far. I drive 80 miles every day to/from work, which gives me plenty of time to mess with Sync and the touchscreen navigation. I have been using the screen for everything except for navigation, has so much functionality, still can't believe the amount of information on it, I use the sirius radio, weather map and 5 day forecast the most.

My two wishes so far is that it should have gas charged hood struts on the hood and it needs the option of homelink on the visor. But with all the other toys, it's hard to gripe. I am happy they spent their money on the most important things.

So far I have 1,500 miles on mine, averaging 25 MPG with the 3.5L and All Wheel Drive. My current tank is pushing 26.5 MPG right now, 80% highway at 65 MPH. I am a happy camper!

Edited by svtenthusiast

transitman Thanks for starting this thread. I am trying to decide B/W a Taurus SHO, an EB Flex and a Fusion SEL FWD 2.5

In light of the way the economy and politics are going I am thinking that a 31mpg hwy Fusion might be the intelligent way to go for my situation. I have a relatively stable job, but anything can happen here in Ca. I have heard that the Flex is very comfortable. Do you think your Fusion gives a smooth/quiet ride? I know that is a tough question to answer, since I don't know how many cars you have driven, but please give me your best guess.

Is your car manual or 6spd auto?

Thanks again.

Here are my suggestions that are generally applicable to the 2010 Fusions:

1) Add a lock to the glove compartment. I had just assumed there would be one and was surprised there isn't. It's handy sometimes if you want to secure something small like a camera or phone.

2) Add an underside handle to the trunk lid. This was very handy on my last car, for as long as the vehicle was unlocked, I could open the trunk without using the key fob or going back into the front to press the trunk unlock. I'm sure I'll get used to not having one, but I still forget sometimes ;-).

3) Strictly for appearances, I'd suggest making the antenna smaller, making the gas lid flush mounted with a push spring, and like transitman said, putting the keyless entry flush and hidden on the b-pillar for a more streamlined look.

On the hybrid specifically, since it's electric steering, it'd be great if they could make it just a little tighter. But on the whole, I love this vehicle and these are just suggestions, not gripes :). This is by far the best car I've ever driven let alone owned.

transitman Thanks for starting this thread. I am trying to decide B/W a Taurus SHO, an EB Flex and a Fusion SEL FWD 2.5

In light of the way the economy and politics are going I am thinking that a 31mpg hwy Fusion might be the intelligent way to go for my situation. I have a relatively stable job, but anything can happen here in Ca. I have heard that the Flex is very comfortable. Do you think your Fusion gives a smooth/quiet ride? I know that is a tough question to answer, since I don't know how many cars you have driven, but please give me your best guess.

Is your car manual or 6spd auto?

Thanks again.

The SEL, 2.5L only comes with the 6 speed auto.

Here are my suggestions that are generally applicable to the 2010 Fusions:

1) Add a lock to the glove compartment. I had just assumed there would be one and was surprised there isn't. It's handy sometimes if you want to secure something small like a camera or phone.

2) Add an underside handle to the trunk lid. This was very handy on my last car, for as long as the vehicle was unlocked, I could open the trunk without using the key fob or going back into the front to press the trunk unlock. I'm sure I'll get used to not having one, but I still forget sometimes ;-).

3) Strictly for appearances, I'd suggest making the antenna smaller, making the gas lid flush mounted with a push spring, and like transitman said, putting the keyless entry flush and hidden on the b-pillar for a more streamlined look.

On the hybrid specifically, since it's electric steering, it'd be great if they could make it just a little tighter. But on the whole, I love this vehicle and these are just suggestions, not gripes :). This is by far the best car I've ever driven let alone owned.

What!... No Glove box lock? Oh that's going to be like rotten beans... I'm so used to throwing some valuabes in there and locking it up to ensure they are secure from time to time...

Guess that means I need to find another product to find and install into the vehicle that will bolt it down so tha I can have a secure spot to store items in...

Oh well.. for the beauty fo the vehicle, I will suffer with this feature loss... Does anyone know if this is a new change for all new vehicles? Or just something that has been done in this family series?

2010 Hybrid 500A

Mileage 36.5 average after only 200 miles !!!

Great looking car

Excellent lcd dash display

Sirius

Sync hands free bluetooth calling

Hot heat and Cold AC!

Nice fit and finish inside and out

Paint appears to be quality

Rear backup sensors

TPMS

Nice Michelin tires

auto lamp

sideview miror courtesy lamps

keyless entry

Dislikes:

Climate controls way too low on dash.

Directional stalk placed awkwardly high

No climate control on steering wheel

Dash vents not adjustable up and down only left and right.

Loud and annoying sync 911 message every time I turn on the car with my cell phone paired

(have not read the Sync book yet - maybe there is a way to disable the message)

Standard radio audio a bit muffled.

Visor adjustment - it likes being either all the way down or up. For my height I need it in between to block the sun from my eyes.

No fold down rear seat - Ford used this space for the batteries.

TPMS is only an alert - tire pressures not available on screen unless there is a menu I have not found yet

Hood prop rod difficult to store - this isn't an Elantra why no gas lifts?

No homelink for garage door opener

Edited by joe308

Loud and annoying sync 911 message every time I turn on the car with my cell phone paired

(have not read the Sync book yet - maybe there is a way to disable the message)

I've never experienced this. You may want to look at the settings.

For the glove box lock, if you're really worried about something getting lifted from your car you have 2 choices:

1) Have a safe installed

2) Don't leave valuables in there

Most glove boxes (even with locks) are VERY easy to get into.

What!... No Glove box lock? Oh that's going to be like rotten beans... I'm so used to throwing some valuabes in there and locking it up to ensure they are secure from time to time...

Guess that means I need to find another product to find and install into the vehicle that will bolt it down so tha I can have a secure spot to store items in...

Oh well.. for the beauty fo the vehicle, I will suffer with this feature loss... Does anyone know if this is a new change for all new vehicles? Or just something that has been done in this family series?

If they are that valuable, why not just lock them in the trunk?

2 Things aobut the glove compartment... Yes it may be easy to break into... However, putting them in the trunk would be easier especially with fold down seats... After all.. Break the back window. open, and then pull the seat release and your into the trunk.

I don't leave alot of valuables, but again if I needed to it causes a little bit more lag to get in through that lock... secondly it just helps nosy people stay out of your stuff incase they get into your car.

I guess I'm just used to having it... And like I said I can work around the limitation, but just kind of disappointing to hear they didnt' add one in!

2 Things aobut the glove compartment... Yes it may be easy to break into... However, putting them in the trunk would be easier especially with fold down seats... After all.. Break the back window. open, and then pull the seat release and your into the trunk.

I don't leave alot of valuables, but again if I needed to it causes a little bit more lag to get in through that lock... secondly it just helps nosy people stay out of your stuff incase they get into your car.

I guess I'm just used to having it... And like I said I can work around the limitation, but just kind of disappointing to hear they didnt' add one in!

Hi iNexx. :D I can certainly understand your disappointment that the Fusion/Milan/MKZ do not have a locking glove compartment. However, the setback releases are in the trunk and can not be accessed from the passenger compartment. That being said, the trunk release is on the dashboard, so that can still be pushed to access the trunk.

And yes, fewer and fewer cars have locking glove compartment nowadays.

Bottom line, even a locking glove compartment is not going to keep valuables safe. As others have already mentioned, if a thief takes the trouble to break into a car, a locking glove compartment will do no good. Forget about needing tools to get into it, even a locking glove compartment can be ripped open by a thief using his bare hands. So you will lose your valuables and be replacing a broken glove compartment/dashboard.

While I would like one too, but like you said will all need to live without it for now.

Good luck with your Fusion. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I went out for a drive this morning. I love driving this car on the road. I drove about 70 miles on the freeway with the cruise at 65 and took it up to 75 and 85 several times. I averaged 32.4 mpg on that stretch. I then took back roads north to Minneapolis with the cruise set at 60. Overall I averaged over 35 mpg. When the engine gets broken in the mpg's should only improve.

Edited by transitman

Ughhh.. Seeing that nice blue glow instrument panel makes me very anxious to get my fusion in... Knowing he's built and awaiting shipment is killing me... I too want to enjoy my ride and see that beautiful dashboard daily! :)

Glad to hear it... Even more excited to hear that everyone owning one is enjoying thier... Makes me know I've made the right choice...

Thanks for sharing your news and present fuel economy!

Hi iNexx. :D I can certainly understand your disappointment that the Fusion/Milan/MKZ do not have a locking glove compartment. However, the setback releases are in the trunk and can not be accessed from the passenger compartment. That being said, the trunk release is on the dashboard, so that can still be pushed to access the trunk.

And yes, fewer and fewer cars have locking glove compartment nowadays.

Bottom line, even a locking glove compartment is not going to keep valuables safe. As others have already mentioned, if a thief takes the trouble to break into a car, a locking glove compartment will do no good. Forget about needing tools to get into it, even a locking glove compartment can be ripped open by a thief using his bare hands. So you will lose your valuables and be replacing a broken glove compartment/dashboard.

While I would like one too, but like you said will all need to live without it for now.

Good luck with your Fusion. :beerchug:

If it is really a problem, just leave it empty and open when you are away from it. Put the owners manual, registration etc. under the seat.

But the seat back releases are inside the trunk.

On the hybrid specifically, since it's electric steering, it'd be great if they could make it just a little tighter.

As far as the locking glovebox goes, when is the last time Ford had a locking glovebox? Probably shouldn't have been a surprise. I understand you wanting that, but with the way the Fusion is presented giving you one convenient key/fob for everything - what key would you use to open the glovebox? The standard key; which your valet will have anyway and would be able to access that as well as the trunk. Oh well, I guess there isn't much you can do about that then.

As far as steering goes, all 2010 Fusions have electric steering except for the Sport.

Oh yeah and I am loving my new Fusion SE, I just drove it home last Wednesday.

But the seat back releases are inside the trunk.

Ahh... Didn't realize that... Most cars with collapsible back seats get them initiated from the back seat... That's a good change as it makes certain parts less vulnerable..

Thanks for that tid-bit!