This is gonna hurt-broken Jeep

156n3rd

Gee...a Chrysler product with a bad ball joint? SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!!! :hysterical:

It's hard to fathom why Chrysler (or Diamler-Chrysler) stuck with that crappy constant-tension front ball joint setup when they already have lost a class action suit over it on the Dakota and Durango.

A few years ago while on vacation in Utah we rented a Grand Cherokee. Damn thing had a strange aero related whistle at any speed over about 70. Frustratingly loud, especially when trying to make time on the interstate. Was especially bad if there was a strong crosswind or when passing a semi.

Thats why my friends Engine crapped out at 96k? I've heard problems with them

Sorry about your friend's engine. 4.0L inlines are legendary for their endurance and multi-hundred thousand mile lifespans. Unfortunately, for any car or engine..no matter how good the reliability ratings, there will always be some that fall on the wrong side of the bell curve.

curious Nick, how was the quality of your Jeep overall?

Were you satisfied? Would you recommend one to another?

This is a serious question and not an anti-Chrysler knock.

At the time, I certainly would have recommended it to others. It ran for a relatively trouble-free 190,000 miles (4.0 I6). It was great in foul weather and would take muddy fields confidently.

Toward the end of its life it really started going downhill fast though -- body leaks, parts failures. But it was pretty darn solid up until then. I wouldn't be surprised to find that it is still on the road somewhere.

Of course, much of the acclaim I have for that vehicle goes toward the powertrain, which is unforunately no longer a part of Chrysler's lineup.

Being completely honest (and the owner of two ZJ's), I see more early to mid 90's Grand Cherokee's STILL on the road then ANY other SUV from that time period...and it was not the top seller either. Those trucks last forever. One of mine had 225K when I sold it and was still going remarkably strong (and I still got a nice penny for it too). The 4.0L inline six should be bronzed and instilled in an Automtive Museum somewhere. The engine refuses to die.

Well, I'm pretty certain during the mid-90's, the Grand Cherokee was #2 (in SUVs) behind only the Explorer. I'm almost certain it outsold vehicles like the Blazer. I still see plenty of 1st and 2ng gen Explorers and Grand Cherokees. Both seem to have held up pretty well compared to a lot of vehicles on the road those days.

Edited by NickF1011

Sorry about your friend's engine. 4.0L inlines are legendary for their endurance and multi-hundred thousand mile lifespans. Unfortunately, for any car or engine..no matter how good the reliability ratings, there will always be some that fall on the wrong side of the bell curve.

not unlike the Ford 4.9.

Yes there were some that crapped out... but so many more logging on 300k+ miles

I see more Grand Cherokees than Explorers in my neck of the woods, and I now live in Ford country.

Whatever happened to the late '90s Explorer that was so ubiquitious among the middle class pencil pusher?

On the other hand, lots and lots and lots of '90s T-Birds and Fusions. (Not many '80s T-Birds, which makes me wonder if they rust out or simply didn't sell in the Pacific Northwest).

Whatever happened to the late '90s Explorer that was so ubiquitious among the middle class pencil pusher?

I thought of this thread on the way to work this morning and thought I would count. I saw at least 8 90's Explorers on the way in today. :shrug: