NUMMI to Close

mettech

Good LORD Pioneer. If your issue is a lack of source say "What's your source?" and have done.

This is NOT a TOS violation. WE determine what constitute TOS violations, YOU do not.

YOU need a thicker skin. If UAW employees are free to savage any non-employee that dares enter the "Employee forum", then you damn well better expect to get roughed up on THIS forum from time to time. This isn't YOUR forum, and (within reason) ANY opinion can be expressed here.

WE decide whether what's posted constitutes a 'repeated reference to outdated or inaccurate information' on a 'sensitive subject'

Good LORD Pioneer. If your issue is a lack of source say "What's your source?" and have done.

This is NOT a TOS violation. WE determine what constitute TOS violations, YOU do not.

YOU need a thicker skin. If UAW employees are free to savage any non-employee that dares enter the "Employee forum", then you damn well better expect to get roughed up on THIS forum from time to time. This isn't YOUR forum, and (within reason) ANY opinion can be expressed here.

WE decide whether what's posted constitutes a 'repeated reference to outdated or inaccurate information' on a 'sensitive subject'

That said, mettech, knock off the blatent pot-stirring.

Edited by NickF1011

If the item reported here is true, I see that as a blow to the UAW, as the NUMMI plant is the only place the UAW has a presence at a transplant facility, so it is their "foot in the door".

I do not care if you take this as good or bad, it is just that the UAW and in particular their members have taken many hits in the last few years, and it is very bad for those directly impacted.

Getting back on topic, this was expected, UAW or not....Toyota fucked up and now they have too many plants in the US...the Texas plant is barely making enough trucks to keep it open, they have a plant in south that isn't even making anything in it and the other plant or two is making Camries, which seems to be getting attacked on all fronts and losing market share.

They are starting to sound more and more like Detroit with overcapacity issues.

Future prospects for the Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) Manufacturing Division plant in Normal, Illinois don't look too promising either. I wouldn't be surprised if it is shuttered within five years.

Edited by aneekr

RE: NUMMI last UAW plant for a foreign automaker

--

Wait........ wasn't the Kentucky Toyota plant a UAW plant? Didn't someone tell me that the trucks built there are UAW?

I mean, no way that the Southern plants are UAW (correct me if I'm wrong), but Kentucky is still a union state despite attempts to make it "right to work", correct?

Relevant news links

Pro-union side (from a local perspective) - http://www.teamsters89.com/PDF%20files/89N...rch-April06.pdf

Anti-union side - http://www.nrtwc.org/states/ky.htm#statenews

On a side note from the UAW on that Kentucky plant:

http://www.uaw.org/news/newsarticle.cfm?ArtId=406

"Toyota is the world’s most profitable automaker – but workers at the company’s Georgetown plant say the Japanese auto giant often ignores the human cost of its success. There is growing concern among workers and community members about Toyota’s treatment of injured workers, its reliance on a large and underpaid temporary workforce and the company’s plans to reduce labor costs at the Georgetown facility. Kentucky residents have provided $371 million in state and local tax subsidies to the plant since it opened in 1986. "

Edited by Roadrunner