Saw a Transit Connect Today

nelsonlu

• 1 month later...

I saw my first Transit Connect on Thursday coming back from our MA dealership. Unfortunately, our Dealer Principal and Sales Manager were very reluctant to take Transit Connect allocation initially for fear of repeating the Flex experience. We got 10 Flex's for introduction and sat on most of them the first year. Only since the Spring has the Flex started to gain traction and now we're selling them at a steady pace. Back to the Transit Connect... I gave the Dealer Principal & Sales Manager all the Transit Connect information when the Order Guide was initially released and we were offered allocation, along with my verbal sales job about the vehicle's market, customer base, sales success in Europe, etc but they still wouldn't take the initial allocation. As such, we won't get our first unit for about another 6 weeks. We also have one retail order scheduled so far. I have no doubt that once the Dealer Principal, Sales Manager & Sales Representatives see the vehicle in person they'll want more in stock ASAP... especially as we're getting more and more customer inquires!

Anyway... the vehicle I saw on the highway got off a few miles later so I only got a quick lok at it. My gut reaction was that the brochure and photos don'y do it justice. It looked smaller in person than I expected, even though I knew the dimensions and that it was going to be a lot smaller than the full-size Econoline/E-Series line. My gut reaction was that it's a very sharp looking, small size commercial delivery type vehicle, great size for the target market and unique looking on the road. The vehicle I saw was white, as I expect the majority will be and was being driven on a CT Dealer PLate so it may have been going to another dealer on a swap.

The other day I also passed a carrier with a full load of Transit Connect's but it was going in the opposite direction. From what little I've seen so far, Ford's got another impressive vehicle to sell here with no competition!

They do look smaller in person. As far as the looks of it go..I don't think it matters. Kinda looks like a Gen 1 fusion van. For what people will use them for..the looks won't be important. It's going to be a fleet vehicle. The econoline vans haven't changed much in 30 yrs..nobody is complaining.

They do look smaller in person. As far as the looks of it go..I don't think it matters. Kinda looks like a Gen 1 fusion van. For what people will use them for..the looks won't be important. It's going to be a fleet vehicle. The econoline vans haven't changed much in 30 yrs..nobody is complaining.

We're not even stocking the E-Series vans anymore. We used to stock 6-8 E-Series vans on a regular basis but sales have dropped off completely in the past few years. A lot of our former E-Series customers are coming in on the new Transit Connect saying they want something smaller, lighter and less expensive.

Well, I'll take this as a good thing then. However the new motor trend shows other companies are already on the bandwagon w/ the smaller vans. Maybe they'll learn from the Dodge Sprinter flop and keep it American. (Nobody can get certain parts for the sprinter as they are MB sourced)

• 1 month later...

Saw one waaaay up here in Edmonton today. Interesting contrast with the Chevy Astrovan next to it at the light. Will be very curious to see the take up with that light service market that really doesn't have a comparable option anymore. I don't think the Traverse is the same niche, and the Dodge offering is a full size beyond either...

Dog caps on white, dealer invoice in the passenger window (interestingly, not a Ford Dealer plate, but a lease agency plate in a bag), couldn't read the number, but looking for them on a lot in town.

• 4 weeks later...
Saw one waaaay up here in Edmonton today. Interesting contrast with the Chevy Astrovan next to it at the light. Will be very curious to see the take up with that light service market that really doesn't have a comparable option anymore. I don't think the Traverse is the same niche, and the Dodge offering is a full size beyond either...

Dog caps on white, dealer invoice in the passenger window (interestingly, not a Ford Dealer plate, but a lease agency plate in a bag), couldn't read the number, but looking for them on a lot in town.

We delivered another Transit Connect Cargo Van yesterday that was a retail order for a customer. It was equipped with the In-Dash Computer and Adrien Steel Bulkhead Partition and the Adrien Premier Interior Rack & Bin System. I found it to be a great business delivery vehicle in a more efficient design both in size and price.

Also, within the past week we've spotted a number of Transit Connect's on the road for Comcast Cable technicians. So it appears that Comcast is starting to replace their E-Series with the new Transit Connect.

• 3 weeks later...
There are a couple companies in town with Transit Connects. I like them. I kind of want one, except I don't deliver anything.

It seems like a good fit for the market.

Could they convert these into light-load passenger vans?

The Transit Connect Wagon has a 2nd Row Cloth Bench Seat.

imho they need a luxurious paasenger MERCURY version :D

with leather & MyMercTouch = a micro-conversion straight from the dealer :D :D

Unfortunately, I think that a Mercury version would be counter productive and dilute potential sales for the Ford Transit Connect. The TC is still establishing itself in the Market and it's important that it establish itself as the unique vehicle that it is under the Ford banner.

• 7 months later...

I seen one today. Looked ok for what it's made for.

I agree with this....I see the Transit Connect all over Miami-Dade and Broward Counties...From what I hear they have no issues and hold up well to the Miami jungle heat like a champ as the contractors down here keep them idling all day with the a/c on..