Nissan and Chrysler end collaboration, Ram-based Titan dead

TomServo92

They said the collaboration was to begin in 2011. I assume for a 2012 model? So the question is, what is Nissan's backup plan? Does the Titan become the next Ranger/panther and continue on with little investment for the coming years? Do they just drop it entirely. It was my understanding that Nissan was using the Titan platform for all of its rear drive trucks/SUVs now, at least the Pathfinder and Frontier are sharing the basic structure in addition to the Armada and QX56. If so, maybe they have enough volume off the platform to continue on as is?

They said the collaboration was to begin in 2011. I assume for a 2012 model? So the question is, what is Nissan's backup plan? Does the Titan become the next Ranger/panther and continue on with little investment for the coming years? Do they just drop it entirely. It was my understanding that Nissan was using the Titan platform for all of its rear drive trucks/SUVs now, at least the Pathfinder and Frontier are sharing the basic structure in addition to the Armada and QX56. If so, maybe they have enough volume off the platform to continue on as is?

I read an article a while back that the Armada and QX56 were being dropped, or at least that that was being considered.....which, if true, would put a hole in the volume theory....

I for one am not sad to see the titan go. Now if Toyota will dump that monstrosity of a tundra they call a pickup!

Credit is due to Nissan for coming to its senses regarding this so called collaborative effort. There should be few tears shed if Chrysler does likewise and jettisons the sorry excuse for a truck they call the Dodge Ram.

Credit is due to Nissan for coming to its senses regarding this so called collaborative effort. There should be few tears shed if Chrysler does likewise and jettisons the sorry excuse for a truck they call the Dodge Ram.

What? I'm no Chrysler/Dodge fan, but the new Ram appears to be a pretty good truck.

Edited by rmc523

ask owners how is "appears" when it's on the hoist.

+1.

I think the trucks look good, but I hear nightmare repair stories with the power-trains My cousin's HEMI RAM has lived in the shop since he bought it. He's a die-hard Dodge/Chrysler guy and even he has cried "no mas" over that truck.

From what I understand, the Titan and damn near everything based on the platform will be gone soon. This includes: Titan, Infinity QX56, Armada, Frontier, Xterra. I have not heard anything about new truck product, and the platform has been around since 2005. You would think if there was anything new coming, you would have seen something by now. It may be they are getting out of the truck business.

The future may indeed be.....the Cube. :eek5: My EYES!

From what I understand, the Titan and damn near everything based on the platform will be gone soon. This includes: Titan, Infinity QX56, Armada, Frontier, Xterra. I have not heard anything about new truck product, and the platform has been around since 2005. You would think if there was anything new coming, you would have seen something by now. It may be they are getting out of the truck business.

could be going back to a global small truck

Kind of sad. Cause when reviewing 1/2 tons back when I bought my F150, the Titan came in #2 on my list.

What? I'm no Chrysler/Dodge fan, but the new Ram appears to be a pretty good truck.

See below!

ask owners how is "appears" when it's on the hoist.

+1

Here in CO, there are tons of '09+ F150s, while I've seen a handful of new Rams. From some of the Ram forums, sounds like the '09s are just as unreliable as the prior models.

Kind of sad. Cause when reviewing 1/2 tons back when I bought my F150, the Titan came in #2 on my list.

See below!

+1

Here in CO, there are tons of '09+ F150s, while I've seen a handful of new Rams. From some of the Ram forums, sounds like the '09s are just as unreliable as the prior models.

I bear witness to your statement – lots of new F-150’s in the Centennial State, but just a few Rams. Ford F-150 is definitely #1 here. However, much to my dismay, we are the Tundra capital of the world. I can’t leave the house without being nauseated by those Japanese abominations all over our roads. And 4Runners galore! – It’s like a plague!

I bear witness to your statement – lots of new F-150’s in the Centennial State, but just a few Rams. Ford F-150 is definitely #1 here. However, much to my dismay, we are the Tundra capital of the world. I can’t leave the house without being nauseated by those Japanese abominations all over our roads. And 4Runners galore! – It’s like a plague!

Interesting.

Living in Denver (basically 6th Ave and North, Colorado Blvd and West) and traveling on I-70 through the mtns, I still rarely see many Tundras. Maybe one to one ratio when compareing the 09+ F150 to the 07+ Tundra, but the Tundra's been in production for 2 more years. Now I do admit I see quite a few 1st Gen Tundras, but not nearly as many as the 04-08 F150s.

And 4Runners have started to take over tha landscape since the Explorer changed body styles in '02.

Interesting.

Living in Denver (basically 6th Ave and North, Colorado Blvd and West) and traveling on I-70 through the mtns, I still rarely see many Tundras. Maybe one to one ratio when compareing the 09+ F150 to the 07+ Tundra, but the Tundra's been in production for 2 more years. Now I do admit I see quite a few 1st Gen Tundras, but not nearly as many as the 04-08 F150s.

And 4Runners have started to take over tha landscape since the Explorer changed body styles in '02.

I did not mean to imply that the hideous Tundra is as popular as the F-150 – not even close. But considering how much of a sales flop the Tundra is nationwide, we have a dis-proportionately large number of them here in the Denver metro area – especially south.

See below!

+1

Well I didn't know the new Ram was that bad, nevermind then.

Well I didn't know the new Ram was that bad, nevermind then.

Not trying to imply they are really bad, just based off what I've seen they aren't doing so well. Keep in mind these Dodge forums are a very small % of the overall population.

Not trying to imply they are really bad, just based off what I've seen they aren't doing so well. Keep in mind these Dodge forums are a very small % of the overall population.

Yeah, plus a lot of times, you'll only hear about problems on forums.....

Nissan was making a lot of noise about a new line of commercial trucks, including a heavy duty pickup and a full size van.

Yeah, there was a thread about the van a while back. I wonder if that will lead to another Titan (if the van project is still on)?

Nissan was making a lot of noise about a new line of commercial trucks, including a heavy duty pickup and a full size van.

seeing as how they couldn't sell a light duty truck, how in the hell do they expect to sell an HD truck?

I would assume those plans are permanently shelved.

5 years ago the auto writers predicted Nissan and Toyota woyuld take the full sized truck market "by storm". Storm is correct, no sales to loyal Ford/GM/Moapr trucks owners. They just got import car owners who wanted the latest Japanese 'fad', and now bailing.