Ford Motor Company October 2009 Sales

I believe Scion started with a younger audience, but as time has progressed, their average buyer age has increased dramatically.

That it did but also keep in mind, if a parent buys a Scion for their kid, which they do (look at all those TC drivers), the average buying age is higher, although the actual driving age is lower.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the average Scion buyer is as old - if not older - than the average Toyota buyer, from all reports I've read.

That's correct that they're just added to Toyota dealers, but getting the cars US ready and marketing them is quite an expenditure, for the extremely low sales numbers they achieve.

I'm pretty sure Scion has the lowest median age of any car brand. There was a report just recently on CNN maybe talking about it. Actually i think it was from the "what your car says about you article" Let me see if i can dig it up

Found it...

With a median age of 37, Toyota's youth-targeted brand has a very youthful owner base indeed. In terms of individual models, the Scion tC coupe has the youngest median buyer age in the industry: 25. The brand also brings a lot of first-time buyers to Toyota's fold--as was intended by the company. "One of Scion's main goals is to bring new buyers to our company," says Toyota's Greg Thome. "With 76% of buyers being new, it accomplishes that goal."

So i guess i was a bit off... Not the lowest as a brand but pretty low with the tC taking the overall crown.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/06/car-perso...me_slide_9.html

Edited by manbearpig

Found it...

So i guess i was a bit off... Not the lowest as a brand but pretty low with the tC taking the overall crown.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/06/car-perso...me_slide_9.html

Yeah, I was thinking of the tC as being the particularly hipster-friendly vehicle (judging on the few people I know who have expressed interest in it).

Found it...
With a median age of 37, Toyota's youth-targeted brand has a very youthful owner base indeed. In terms of individual models, the Scion tC coupe has the youngest median buyer age in the industry: 25...

dunno/no statistics background

but

doesn't ^that mean the rest of their lineup has a median buyer age of 49?

Eh, it was quite a bit later than that. Mitsubishi was waving that flag all the way until about 2005 or so. Then the bottom fell out.

Were they? I'm from MoCo in MD. So I always saw lots of imports. Mitsu was amoung the least common. Out of all th epeople I know, only knew one guy who drove an Eclipse.

Also the 2000s was when Nissan made it's comeback, right?

dunno/no statistics background

but

doesn't ^that mean the rest of their lineup has a median buyer age of 49?

The tC makes up about a third of Scion sales, so if you look at it as a weighted average - %tC * 25 + %rest * restAverage = 37, the average for the rest of their line would be about 43 - still a few years younger than average (although i would bet it's comparable to the average age of compact/subcompact car buyers).

Edited by Noah Harbinger

Were they? I'm from MoCo in MD. So I always saw lots of imports. Mitsu was amoung the least common. Out of all th epeople I know, only knew one guy who drove an Eclipse.

Also the 2000s was when Nissan made it's comeback, right?

Well, you have to remember that Mitsubishi was basing that growth on percentages. Nissan was a good 3-4 times the size of Mitsubishi (probably more like 7-8 times now), so even if they were seeing signigicant growth, on a percentage basis it likely didn't stack up to what Mitsubishi was doing at the time. Most of those sales increases, if I recall, were from the Eclipse and Lancer.

Well, you have to remember that Mitsubishi was basing that growth on percentages. Nissan was a good 3-4 times the size of Mitsubishi (probably more like 7-8 times now), so even if they were seeing signigicant growth, on a percentage basis it likely didn't stack up to what Mitsubishi was doing at the time. Most of those sales increases, if I recall, were from the Eclipse and Lancer.

They were 7-8 times bigger last year. Now they are about double (15-16x). Look at the YTD %'s through Oct 08 and Oct 09.

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_30...html#autosalesE

median's not the same as average---I don't think you can predict the median age of the rest of the lineup, based on the overall median & tC median.

BTW: Median vs. average

9 buyers of Scion tC:

23, 23, 24, 24, 25, 29, 34, 36, 39

median age = 25 (the middle number)

average age = 29 ( sum/9 )

You can craft an example, but how often is the median all that far off from the mean in real world auto sales?

You can craft an example, but how often is the median all that far off from the mean in real world auto sales?

Fairly often.

Okay--the data's proprietary & this example requires an assumption that both data sources are reasonably accurate.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2002/08/23/146150.html

Since introduction, the average age of Caddy buyers has fallen by about 7 years to 55, Spinella said.

Data source: CNW

Now that's for a 2002 dated article

From a 2006 article (AdAge, originally)

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/07/27/new-cad...to-create-lust/

Of course, "younger" is a relative term, especially in the Cadillac frame of reference, where the median age of buyers is 59 (down from 64 in 2002!).

Data source: Cadillac

Assuming both numbers are accurate, that's a pretty sizable gap.

AutoPacific reports median buyer ages, the PIN reports average ages. It's very difficult to find both numbers for the same brand/model in the same year.