why do retirees receive christmas bonus

poliver20044

Amen to that!!!! Move along already....it is time....there are way too many of the above mentioned in our plants.....if they want to stay...they should have to pull their weight....I bet they would retire then...oh and cut their overtime........notice they all work in departments that have overtime......

From my earlier post...

I try to remember this...

That "Old" man you want to push out of the plant may, one day, be you. I wish someone would retire so I can have more security, but it is their decision.

Make the decisions that are yours, let others make theirs.

"But he can't even run his own life, I'll be damned if he'll run mine, Sunshine". Sunshine Go Away Today-by Jonathan Edwards

People become myopic sometimes. They only see what is happening to them right now. They have no idea what those who went before us did and did FOR us. How many times was that "Old Timer" laid off when he didn't have the seniority to hold on? Just like you, he depended on more senior employees to retire to gain security. Now that he has, you put a big target on his back and want to "PUSH" him out so YOU feel more secure!

Be sure to make that target real comfortable, because them youngsters you hold seniority over are gonna hang it on YOUR back soon!

Thank you for your support of the retirees, since we have voice but no vote we depend on the active workers to defend our rights, and I for one know that it is due to your strong solidarity that many of our benefits have been protected. Thank you again and God bless all of you

Don't worry, there's plenty of us who appreciate what all of you retired workers have done for us. Don't listen to the greedy idiots who are all about what's next for "them". Enjoy your bonus and have a great holiday season.

Amen to that!!!! Move along already....it is time....there are way too many of the above mentioned in our plants.....if they want to stay...they should have to pull their weight....I bet they would retire then...oh and cut their overtime........notice they all work in departments that have overtime......

On behalf of guys like my Dad, who toughed out until age 65 before he retired, I have two words for you: FUCK YOU!!

Good gawd, what an asshole.

Don't worry, there's plenty of us who appreciate what all of you retired workers have done for us. Don't listen to the greedy idiots who are all about what's next for "them". Enjoy your bonus and have a great holiday season.

I'm a surviving spouse and was eligible for this bonus.. After reading this forum, I contacted the retirement board and was told that EVERYONE lost it, including retiree's :-(

I'm a surviving spouse and was eligible for this bonus.. After reading this forum, I contacted the retirement board and was told that EVERYONE lost it, including retiree's :-(

In a recent newsletter, the president of local UAW 862 stated that all retirees, with at least 30 yrs service, will recieve a $700.00 lump sum bonus payable on December 22, 2009.

$700.00? What happened to $600.00?

The $600 was what the active employees got. The retirees, originally, were given $800 that was called a Lump Sum Payment. It was never called Christmas Bonus. Because it came in December, though, everybody referred to it as an Xmas Bonus. And in the 07 contract, it was lowered from $800 to $700 plus, no taxes were taken out either. But we do have to claim it as income at tax time.

And to any active worker who asks why we retirees get this? I say, WHY NOT!

Edited by OldFordJim

In a recent newsletter, the president of local UAW 862 stated that all retirees, with at least 30 yrs service, will recieve a $700.00 lump sum bonus payable on December 22, 2009.

Thanks for the info.. Unfortunately, my husband retired due to medical reasons with 27 yrs of service which would exclude me anyway.

Thanks for the info.. Unfortunately, my husband retired due to medical reasons with 27 yrs of service which would exclude me anyway.

I understand that those of us who are retirees are supposed to get it. I don't know if your husband retiring because of medical reasons would be excluded. Now here is a question that someone could answer, what about those of us who retired on early retirements? From what I see here on this topic, I think some clarification is in order.

I try to remember this...

That "Old" man you want to push out of the plant may, one day, be you. I wish someone would retire so I can have more security, but it is their decision.

Make the decisions that are yours, let others make theirs.

"But he can't even run his own life, I'll be damned if he'll run mine, Sunshine". Sunshine Go Away Today-by Jonathan Edwards

+1

I understand that those of us who are retirees are supposed to get it. I don't know if your husband retiring because of medical reasons would be excluded. Now here is a question that someone could answer, what about those of us who retired on early retirements? From what I see here on this topic, I think some clarification is in order.

Retiree Lump-Sum Bonus

UAW retirees and surviving spouses

whose benefit started before Oct. 1, 2007

will receive four lump-sum payments dur-

ing the proposed 2007-2011 agreement.

The payment for December 2007 will be

$700 for all retirees and $455 for all sur-

viving spouses. The lump-sum payments

to be made in December 2008, December

2009 and December 2010 will be $23.33

times years of credited service, with a

minimum of $233.33 and a maximum of

$700. Surviving spouses will receive 65

percent of the retiree amount. Examples

are as follows:

Payment To

Years of

Credited Service

Retiree

Surviving

Spouse

10 $233.33 $151.67

20 $466.67 $303.33

30 $700 $455

I do not recall anything in the modifications that changed this

quote name='moon0917' date='Nov 15 2009, 10:43 PM' post='571062']

Moon0917,good news, looks like surviving spouses will receive a "retiree lump-sum bonus.Please read this to find out if you qualify:

RETIREE LUMP-SUM BONUS:

UAW retirees and surviving spouses whose benefit started before Oct. 1, 2007 will receive a lump-sum payment to be paid the week of December 22, 2009. The payment will be $23.33 times the years of credited service, with a minimum of $233.33 and a maximum of $700. Surviving spouses will receive 65% of the retiree’s amount. This payment will also be made in December of 2010. Examples are as follows: With 10 years of credited service a retiree will receive $233.33 and a surviving spouse will receive $151.67. With 20 years of service a retiree will receive $466.67 and a surviving spouse will receive $303.33. With thirty years of service a retiree will receive $700.00 and a surviving spouse will receive $455.00.

Moon0917,good news, looks like surviving spouses will receive a "retiree lump-sum bonus.Please read this to find out if you qualify:

RETIREE LUMP-SUM BONUS:

UAW retirees and surviving spouses whose benefit started before Oct. 1, 2007 will receive a lump-sum payment to be paid the week of December 22, 2009. The payment will be $23.33 times the years of credited service, with a minimum of $233.33 and a maximum of $700. Surviving spouses will receive 65% of the retiree’s amount. This payment will also be made in December of 2010. Examples are as follows: With 10 years of credited service a retiree will receive $233.33 and a surviving spouse will receive $151.67. With 20 years of service a retiree will receive $466.67 and a surviving spouse will receive $303.33. With thirty years of service a retiree will receive $700.00 and a surviving spouse will receive $455.00.

No one that retired after 10/1/07 is getting anything, am I correct?.

No one that retired after 10/1/07 is getting anything, am I correct?.

That is correct, those that retired after 10/1/07 get the contractual pension increases

Start of contract $3,020 per month

10/1/2007 – $3,140

10/1/2008 –$3,150

10/1/2009 - $3,160

10/1/2010- $3,170

Edited by Retiree

RETIREE LUMP-SUM BONUS:

Thanks so much for the information.... I called the Retirement Board again, this time I received a recording confirming the bonus. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Thanks so much for the information.... I called the Retirement Board again, this time I received a recording confirming the bonus. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

As much as I would like mine at least the ones that deserve it the most are getting a bonus this year, these people have no say in contractual negotiations, we over the last 4 or 5 years have sold out our retiree's .

Thank god they where able to keep something...and thank you for the path you have laid before us, It will not be an easy path mind you retiree folks. But coming from where you all did before us and having been able to secure what you did ...neither should our path be an easy route.

Thanks again and I hop this little padding helps you in the holiday seasons :shades: