What DCX really thinks of America

range

I thought the Daimler / Chrysler venture was supposed to be a "merger of equals"?

Yea right.

Smartcarad.jpg

DCX Slams America in Overseas advertising

Actually it's accurate advertizing.

German engineering = Overpriced and overrated

Swiss innovation = F-ugly

American nothing = An American wouldn't be caught dead in that piece of crap.

Hey all of you loyal Dodge fans, the "fatherland" is laughing at you! :hysterical:

Edited by F250

Are you the same guys that go on about "American" cars? And that "Amercian" is all about the big ass V8s and attitude?

And this ad is saying that the SMART is none of those things. Which I'm sure every single one of you agrees with.

So tell me how is negative?

What a surprise. An international corporation playing up to a particular buyer to sell a product. Its definitely not a smart advertising move, but one that only can be added to marketing mistakes in recent history. While someone of authority has to approve an ad agencies ideas, its one in which higher corporate execs leave marketing up to this one or that one down the chain of command and somebody used poor judgement. However, a large portion of Americans shouldn't gripe or be surprised. If they themselves are convinced that an American-designed product is inferior to that of a European or Japanese counterpart, than their sentiment is shared with who ever accepts that billboard. Many Americans share the same feelings that many around the world have in that American cars are subpar. The problem with this billboard is that it hurts our individual patriotism toward our own country, but in brutal honesty, it reflects what many car buyers throughout the world feel...and sadly, inluding many in the United States as well.

Very well put, Traveler. Why should others believe in us if we don't believe in ourselves?

Until we stop hating ourselves for feeling any sort of national pride, things will not change.

It's OK guys, really. It really is OK to feel pride in ourselves and our great nation. As a matter of fact, I will go so far as to say it is necessary.

Are you the same guys that go on about "American" cars? And that "Amercian" is all about the big ass V8s and attitude?

And this ad is saying that the SMART is none of those things. Which I'm sure every single one of you agrees with.

So tell me how is negative?

I think you're looking at it from quite an optimistic view. What I get from the ad is this: German engineering=good, Swiss innovation=good, American=bad so we didn't include anything from America. I hardly see any reference to V8's or attitude, this is simply a statement that America cannot engineer or innovate. THAT'S why it's anti-American.

I think you're looking at it from quite an optimistic view. What I get from the ad is this: German engineering=good, Swiss innovation=good, American=bad so we didn't include anything from America. I hardly see any reference to V8's or attitude, this is simply a statement that America cannot engineer or innovate. THAT'S why it's anti-American.

This is that glass half full thing.

Anouther way to look at is.

German engineering =good

Swiss design =good

No American Content in a small car =good

From a consumers tand point that is a good thing.

We all know the U.S has never built a decent small car.

That is just fact.

The approch used to get that point across was ill thought out.

I highly doubt the intention was to slight America

I think ad exec's got too wound up in the intended message and not how it could possibly be interprited.

DCX said they were removing the ad's.

Ya it is screw up no biggie shit happens, point it out and move on.

Not like no U.S company at home has ever slighted anouther nation in thier advertizing. :doh:

Matthew

Edited by matthewq4b

you are reading in to things.

you see no reference to V8s but you do see reference that America cant engineer a small car...

you can ascertain all of this from "America - nothing"?

You must have a complex where you think everyone hates you.

Very well put, Traveler. Why should others believe in us if we don't believe in ourselves?

Until we stop hating ourselves for feeling any sort of national pride, things will not change.

It's OK guys, really. It really is OK to feel pride in ourselves and our great nation. As a matter of fact, I will go so far as to say it is necessary.

Very well put. "American Guilt" runs rampant in this country. We should be proud to be the greatest country on this earth. Stop and imagine what this world would be like without America. Even if they won't admit it, they know it's true.

Hey Ricardo, glad to C U back and to "The Cal", you rite on the money. But, I do have about the toughest hide in Texas, wrecked my Charger 400 miles away on the 15th, rental car to come home in. On the 21st, the morning of my BDay I found a cow had been trying to have a calf with one leg turned the wrong way, calf was dead. To save the cow I had to put her in a small temporary pen, go get the trailer, haul her to the corral and then I was not strong enough to push the calf back in and at the same time reach in and straighten out the other leg. Called my friend who was there in 15 minutes in his '94 D-C truck; he pushes the calf back in while I get the leg out and then he and I both have to "get down" to pull it out. I'm on the ground on my back when suddenly a 90# dead calf hits on me, and about 2-3 gallons of water and piss, all the afterbirth and a lot of cow shit. Still made it to church in time for Sunday School and oh, I did take a bath.

I took the rental Impala back on the 17th, 34 MPG while a friend drove my old '89 D-C which only got 24 MPG.

Then on the 18th the Ins. Co. say they will repair the Charger so I go back with the trailer on the 22nd, bring it home and take it to repair shop today.

Guest Sixcav

No matter which way you try to spin it, this ad is a slam against America and Americans. Whatever else you try to read into it is just samantics. Try to imagine you're driving along the interstate and see a picture of an F150 on a billboard and next to it says. American Engineered, American Power, Nothing Japanese. You going to tell me that's not a slam against Japanese? Yeah right. Just remember this billboard when you are out looking over the Chrysler lot. lol

I'm on the ground on my back when suddenly a 90# dead calf hits on me, and about 2-3 gallons of water and piss, all the afterbirth and a lot of cow shit.

and no amount of money would make you do it any different!

No matter which way you try to spin it, this ad is a slam against America and Americans. Whatever else you try to read into it is just samantics. Try to imagine you're driving along the interstate and see a picture of an F150 on a billboard and next to it says. American Engineered, American Power, Nothing Japanese. You going to tell me that's not a slam against Japanese? Yeah right. Just remember this billboard when you are out looking over the Chrysler lot. lol

I dont recall all of those Americna heartland Chevy messages being anti Japanese.

Gawd people. Why does "not American" have to be a slam? If you think so, you must be acknowledging that American engineering is half assed. If you think American cars are great, then why would you see this as a slight?

Holy crap. And as Americans you accuse the rest of the world of having thin skins.

Remember, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Guest Sixcav

J150, try living in the real world for 5 seconds buddy. If you can't see that this ad is an offhanded insult towards America you're just in denial. It has nothing to do with being thin skinned. Hell everyday on this website you can find plenty of people that post threads that are equally as insulting towards Japan, China or Europe in general. But those are the views of private citizens, not corporations who are also trying to get American consumer dollars. If there was a similiar ad here in the US that implied something like "German Nothing" or "Japanese Nothing" you can only imagine the uproar. Lawsuits would fly. I think that's what gets people upset about it. It seems that we do everything to play by the rules of good conduct and try not to offend anyone while plenty of other places in the world it's perfectly vouge to hurl insults towards Americans even if it's paid for by a reputable corporation and we are just supposed to be ok with that. Fuckin bite me. lol

J-150>>>"""I'm on the ground on my back when suddenly a 90# dead calf hits on me, and about 2-3 gallons of water and piss, all the afterbirth and a lot of cow shit."""

"""and no amount of money would make you do it any different!"""

You're right, but it's not about dollars and cents, it is all you can do at the time and to me it is an extreme obligation to save the life of the animal. It does not happen very often, but my wife and I both have lain in mud and water while it was sleeting to pull a calf out at night and of course the cow would be laying down.

Many people hide behind the lame excuse of "If you got 'em, you gonna lose 'em". When I lose one I look for something I did wrong or failed to do. I lost a calf a couple weeks ago that got in a creek and drowned; if I had stayed with the cow just a couple of hours I could have kept her away from the creek. I knew the risk, but took a chance. AND the main thing is, you don't get many chances to save a calf; so don't blow it.

And then there's the prolapsed uterus; where all the female organs come out right behind the calf. No matter how much mud, crap, etc it gets on it you can restrain the cow, clean it up, remove all the remaining afterbirth attached to it, put it back in the cow, put some haystring stitches across the vulva to hold it in, give her about 50 CCs of penecillion and she will calve again. A cow is a tough mama, she does not voluntarily have an abortion and she will kill you for her calf.

You're right, but it's not about dollars and cents, it is all you can do at the time and to me it is an extreme obligation to save the life of the animal.

You're a good man Hemi! We need more people in the world that think this way.

and no amount of money would make you do it any different!

I dont recall all of those Americna heartland Chevy messages being anti Japanese.

Gawd people. Why does "not American" have to be a slam? If you think so, you must be acknowledging that American engineering is half assed. If you think American cars are great, then why would you see this as a slight?

Holy crap. And as Americans you accuse the rest of the world of having thin skins.

Remember, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

What are you missing about this? If all it said was the first two lines it would be perfectly fine, it's the fact that they are making a statement to point out that there is nothing American about it that makes it ANTI-American. The Chevy ads you are referring to praise what IS in the vehicle, not what isn't. There's nothing thin-skinned here, they were using it as a joke against America. Why doesn't that click with you?